Samsung INR18650-30Q (3000mah/15A) vs LG INR18650-HG2 (3000mah/20A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
2015 is bringing some more battery offerings to market, on the market not long at all now so gathering what little info I can. As far as I can tell the LG isn't actually available for purchase anywhere. Anyway... here's what I've gathered thus far.

Samsung INR18650-30Q (3000mah/15A Continuous)
Reputable seller: illumination supply
18650 Samsung 3000mAh INR18650-30Q High Discharge Flat Top - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers

Specification sheet(Pre-production): http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=164413
Notable bits of the spec sheet:
9.2 External short-circuit test
Test method: To short-circuit the standard charged cell (or 50% discharged cell)
by connecting positive and negative terminal by 80mΩ wire for 10min.
Criteria: No fire, and no explosion.
Tests: None available, will update when tested by someone.

LG INR18650-HG2 (3000mah/20A Continuous)
Reputable seller: ???? unknown currently only listed on Keeppower website.
LG Chem INR18650HG2 high drain 18650 li-ion battery imr18650 3000mah 20A discharge

No specifications or tests, nor is it available anywhere...yet? Unknown quantity as of right now. Will update further with more information.

Last edited:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
...Not sure how to take that post, but none the less Samsung has a history of vastly under labeling their cells, I'm very interested to see the full fledged test graphs for either of these batteries. For instance, the specification sheet for the Samsung 30Q states it retains 95% of capacity at 20A, it also states that "discharge exceeding the constant should be discussed with SDI", which I take to mean something like that of the Samsung 25R, which is quite happy performing well over the stated 20A constant discharge.

A 3000mah true 20A CDR battery would find its way to many many mods, so I hope the LG HG2 pans out and tests well and as far as the Samsung 30Q even if it is only a 15A CDR cell for a parallel mechanical that's 6000mah at 30A with 95% capacity retention, which is awesome.

Do I smell the possible demise of the Panasonic NCR18650PF for the lower voltage vaper!? Before these, at under 10A it was pretty much the go-to for the capacity conscious.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
...Not sure how to take that post, but none the less Samsung has a history of vastly under labeling their cells, I'm very interested to see the full fledged test graphs for either of these batteries. For instance, the specification sheet for the Samsung 30Q states it retains 95% of capacity at 20A, it also states that "discharge exceeding the constant should be discussed with SDI", which I take to mean something like that of the Samsung 25R, which is quite happy performing well over the stated 20A constant discharge.

A 3000mah true 20A CDR battery would find its way to many many mods, so I hope the LG HG2 pans out and tests well and as far as the Samsung 30Q even if it is only a 15A CDR cell for a parallel mechanical that's 6000mah at 30A with 95% capacity retention, which is awesome.

Do I smell the possible demise of the Panasonic NCR18650PF for the lower voltage vaper!? Before these, at under 10A it was pretty much the go-to for the capacity conscious.
I'm in, love the pf as I hardly ever hit 10 amp. The lg and 25r are great batteries but when I'm using them I sure miss the extra run time.

Have to see the discharge curves against the pf and the " true" min capacity.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I'm in, love the pf as I hardly ever hit 10 amp. The lg and 25r are great batteries but when I'm using them I sure miss the extra run time.

Have to see the discharge curves against the pf and the " true" min capacity.
If you never get near 10A I would advise to also keep your eye out for the LG INR18650-MJ1 - I've only seen them listed here: LG INR18650 MJ1 3500mAh (10A) but I was able to find a test here as well - Test Results for LG INR18650-MJ1 3,500mAh 18650 Li-ion Battery | Power Cartel 3500mah and 95% capacity retention at 10A.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
If you're willing to trust what an Ebay seller says, go right ahead. :unsure: I personally would not, but that's me.
Normally no I wouldn't but this guy is a highly respected and trusted member on the Aussie vapers forum. He is where all the newbies needing batteries get directed to. I probably should have mentioned that though because I can understand your skepticism.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

Those graphs show that the current takes about 20 seconds to ramp up to the full value of the test. Do you know why he does that? I would think that would "preheat" the cell so that the starting voltage drop wasn't so severe. That leads to a flatter discharge curve and perhaps keeps the cell from nearing the low voltage cutoff before it heats up?

Makes it a bit harder to compare his graphs to other cells that go to the rated current level instantly. But perhaps the rampup doesn't have that big of an effect on the overall results.

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 4, 2013
    QLD, Australia
    Those graphs show that the current takes about 20 seconds to ramp up to the full value of the test. Do you know why he does that? I would think that would "preheat" the cell so that the starting voltage drop wasn't so severe. That leads to a flatter discharge curve and perhaps keeps the cell from nearing the low voltage cutoff before it heats up?

Makes it a bit harder to compare his graphs to other cells that go to the rated current level instantly. But perhaps the rampup doesn't have that big of an effect on the overall results.

No idea to be honest but I'm no expert.

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread