San Diego ABC 10News to do independent study on ecigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My reply to his reply...

Trust me, no one understands how important these issues are more than we do.
After all, it’s our lives that are at stake here.

This is the forum I belong to...
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

The thing about it is, we don’t like Prue Talbot very much, and don’t trust her as far as we can throw her.
We are very familiar with her past work related to electronic cigarettes.

Most of us are of the opinion that she has an agenda, and is eager to find ways to discourage people from using electronic cigarettes.

There are many very powerful people in this world that most definitely have such an agenda.

I have been following electronic cigarette research being done around the world for the last four years.
I have seen enough bias and spin in those four years to fill an entire lifetime.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Thanks, DC2. Good response. (I would have been tempted to ask the producer if he realizes he and his station are being used to further the PruBot's et al agenda, but it probably wouldn't have been productive to do so...)

I love how he calls them "esmokes" and implies it doesn't matter if the item tested is still on the market. (If they're going to say it doesn't matter since they all come from China, perhaps reputable scientific method (or "chain of evidence" if you will) would have been to acquire some test units directly from China.)

ETA: Oh, and his "you must realize how important this is from a health care perspective" comment. Does he think we don't realize? YOU BET YOUR BLEEDIN' BOOTIES WE DO! Why do you think we go on about it? Huh? That condescending remark really steams me...

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
A follow-up email I plan to send to the Senior Producer...

I believe I saw it mentioned by Cristine that your station was planning on doing a follow-up piece...

While I noted in my last email that I have seen enough bias and spin to fill a lifetime, I have also seen plenty of the opposite.
There is a lot of positive research out there, but it seems to only be reported outside of the mainstream media.

I'm not really sure why that is.

I dream that some day some mainstream media outlet will actually write the REAL story of electronic cigarettes...
The story of lives being changed, lives being saved, people overcoming the odds and triumphing...

This seems to be such a compelling story to tell that I live in a constant state of bewilderment as to why it is not being told.
There are millions of us, and hundreds, if not thousands of amazing and heart-warming stories.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
DC, You are one of the more resourceful members of this forum IMO. Is it worth it to maybe point them in the "right direction" as far as noteworthy Doctors, or research goes? I'm only thinking, it seems like you already, at least partially, have their ear.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
DC, You are one of the more resourceful members of this forum IMO. Is it worth it to maybe point them in the "right direction" as far as noteworthy Doctors, or research goes? I'm only thinking, it seems like you already, at least partially, have their ear.
I'm hoping my email prompts some interest on their part.
But I don't want to point them anywhere unless they ask me to.

I don't want it to come off as being TOO obvious that I'm hoping to influence them to take another look at this whole thing.
I am hoping that if there is interest they will ask me another question or two.

I hope they do, and we'll go from there.
:laugh:

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
Be sure to let us know if/when Severance replies, DC2! :laugh:

Another afterthought: I have actually tried the other brand tested, which is still available. (It was a vapemergency, my one and only. I learned my lesson about backups...) No disrespect if anyone here actually uses that brand, but it's probably the lowest quality, worst tasting ecig one can buy these days. Did the PruBot know this?

Yes. Truly. I have a Mistic that was given to me last year. It was so bad I nearly didn't want to try any form of not-smoking ever ever again. I'm glad I did though :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I don't want it to come off as being TOO obvious that I'm hoping to influence them to take another look at this whole thing.

A helpful link to CASAA might steer them in the right direction, though. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yup, a real journalist with an internet connection would have taken less than 5 minutes to determine SE no longer existed and gone back to Prue and questioned how she was testing a product that is no longer on sale. After all, they did say they paid for the "independent study". My guess is Prue just pulled out her old file and used the results.

Not even her old file--that subject has been thoroughly discussed here on ECF. And I remember distinctly a long discussion here about solder and some questionable metals found in some cartos or atties... I'll try to find it later. I believe it's another "Internet-based study" conducted by Prue.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

Play the line easy, gentle moves, then when you have the hook set....HOOK 'EM HARD...:)

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
QUOTE: "The professor and other critics believe e-cigarettes do not help people quit smoking because users reportedly use e-cigarettes and cigarettes at the same time."

"Most of the people, about 80 percent of people who use e-cigarettes, keep smoking regular cigarettes," said Glantz.

What a load. From my reading here, I would say a very small minority of our members continue to smoke regular cigarettes. Those who do are to be commended for cutting back on the number of cigarettes they smoke.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
QUOTE: "The professor and other critics believe e-cigarettes do not help people quit smoking because users reportedly use e-cigarettes and cigarettes at the same time."

1. I wonder who's doing the reporting....

2. "Believe" and "reportedly" leave a lot of waffle room. Like could and might and "we worry that," more excellent waffle words.

2. Question for anyone reading this: Have you ever seen anyone, even one person, using an ecig and a cigarette at the same time?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, here is his reply...
Nicely said. I don’t have quite the same enthusiasm as you do but I do know that if they are the real deal, then this period of questioning and concern will pass too. Because we don’t instantly embrace every new idea or breakthrough has more to do with caution over the latest “best” thing. This comes with experience. If they are the real deal, they will be accepted. Anything is better than the traditional cigarette and many think e cigs will eventually displace the current

I'll have to sleep on that, but suggestions are welcome.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"If they are the real deal, they will be accepted. Anything is better than the traditional cigarette and many think e cigs will eventually displace the current"

That would be an accurate assessment in a fair and just system. However money and power have a way of controlling the results and fear is powerful's best ally. Repeated enough, perception becomes reality. You have no further to look than second hand smoke and the view of smokeless tobacco. Following George Godber's 1975 3rd World Conference on Smoking and Health blueprint, long-term, the elimination of cigarette smoking was the goal. Somehow that morphed to all tobacco and all non-pharma provided nicotine.

Fear provided the tool needed to bring the general population on board and second hand smoke was the weapon. Researchers were eager to grab the money and provide the evidence. When someone stepped out of line, like those done by Enstrom and Kabat, they were quickly dismissed. In Jim Enstrom's case, it cost him his job. The latest long term study indicating the risk is minimum will take some searching to find.

That being said, they're now building evidence that second hand smoke leads to diabetes

(Can Secondhand Smoke Increase Diabetes Risk?)

And Ellen Hahn is still active

Secondhand smoke leading cause of childhood illness, death - Health - Lifestyle - Dalje.com

There is no stopping these "researchers" from providing the body of evidence needed to push the agenda.

As I see it, this supposed study is only one of many that will be saturating the news this year and beyond to show why "vaping is not a safe alternative to smoking".

E cigs wouldn't be the first product to get squashed by the money machine and won't be the last. Truth doesn't always win out in the end, particularly today.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Well, here is his reply...

....Because we don’t instantly embrace every new idea or breakthrough has more to do with caution over the latest “best” thing....

I'll have to sleep on that, but suggestions are welcome.

I would comment that "not instantly embracing" is a far cry from using sprurious science to generate public fear and loathing. I would also ask why he considers the avalance of anti-ecig publicity currently inundating the media as merely a "period of questioning and concern."

But that's me, feeling really p*ssy today. No doubt you can state this more objectively than I... :)

ETA: In an unexpected moment of about-face, I must say his willingness to dialogue with you is encouraging! He may simply be a terribly clever ANTZ, but I want to believe he's actually giving it some thought...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread