Sanyo 20700A 30A 3100mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...a great performing 30A 3100mAh battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Witch battery charger from xtar do you use? (I am sorry for my bad English)
    I have xtar vc4 and I think to buy the new mod from Ijoy that has 2 20700 batterys... If you can check if they fit I will apriciate it!!

You can always just see how long of a battery your charger would fit by pulling the contact back all the way and measuring the opening. Something over 72mm is best but it might fit if smaller.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    DSC_7721.jpg

Noo, these are no headphones (;)):

DSC_7724.jpg

Review: Charger Olight UC @ lygte-info.dk
    That is sure to fit all sorts of cells.
    Built in polarity detection. Maybe not the fastest charger (effective current a bit below 0.75A because of early tapering), but you really can't complain for a lack of ease of use, portability, coolness and make-a-prank-ability. :thumb:

Cheers :)

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    Decades. :)
    They're used in so many products that won't need to switch to 2x700's and the associated retooling costs.
    I was hoping you were going to say that and, of course, it makes a lot of sense. Do you think the 18XXX form factor will be updated even with new chemistries as and when they appear?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I was hoping you were going to say that and, of course, it makes a lot of sense. Do you think the 18XXX form factor will be updated even with new chemistries as and when they appear?
    I'd speculate that depends on what the market for cylindrical Li-ion cells wants; the leading edge of tech will be aimed at the form-factor that's most popular in the industry as a whole (which vaping is only a tiny portion of).

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    I'd speculate that depends on what the market for cylindrical Li-ion cells wants; the leading edge of tech will be aimed at the form-factor that's most popular in the industry as a whole (which vaping is only a tiny portion of).
    Hey Rossum!!
    Makes sense also but i guess if 18650 is ingrained in the industry, then it would make sense to load them with the best chemistry IF of course, that is finacially sensible etc etc..
    As ever, we shall see :)

cheers

steve

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

I don't know. There are still doing so now but predicting what will happen might be beyond those even with a lot more knowledge of the individual markets. :)

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    I have an authentic broadside tube mod, which has a delrin protective inner sleeve.
    When i take out the sleeve and measure, it looks like it is exactly 20mm in diameter.
    I'm thinking that of these batteries might fit inside, when the sleeve is removed. Unfortionately I don't have a 20700 to test it with.
    The threads on the topcap seem to be exactly long enough that one could fit a 70mm battery, with the threads almost losing eachother. That might ofcourse compromise conductivity though.
    Also the floating pin protrudes around 4mm. If one could mill another pin, millimeters could spared here (the current pin is silver coated, so I don't think sanding it down would be feasible).
    Don't hold me accountable, but I think that the broadside might do it in a pinch - atleast in with. :p
    So while reading some of the forums here and there I came across a gentleman who actually tried just that! He took apart his Broadside, including the delrin inner safety sleeve and was able to make it work. He was using an ijoy 20700 cell. I guess he had to take out the threaded, silver plated adjustable pin at the top cap and machine his own copper pin in order to make this work, but im not certain if this was needed, or if he wanted to do this himself. My guess is that it was a necessity. He then sanded and sanded(apparently going through a lot of sand paper) and finally got the copper pin to sit perfectly to the negative portion of the 20700 cell when everything is put back together. I believe he can only use it this way, negative side up, and if he sits the battery positive up, that it wont fit. I also believe he custom fit it for only one particular atty. Since he had to get rid of the adjustable pin at the top, the only way to make amy kind of adjustments (after getting the button on the bottom fine tuned to "just make contact" w/the 20700) is if your atomizer has an adjustable 510 pin. Even then, the amount your allowed to adjust will be minimal.

Seems like a whole lot of work to me, but Ill admit that as soon as I saw the photos of the finished product, I wanted to try it myself:sneaky: I do not want to make any permanent changes though since im thoroughly enjoying this mod with the VTC5a cells I bought and frankly, there will be a flood of mods accommodating all cell sizes soon and Id rather wait for one of those:) One mod with sleeves to fit a few different cell sizes. Sounds good to me!

On a side note,im hoping someone can help me out with something. These new Sanyo 20700A cells are impossible for consumers like us to get our hands on,but does anyone know of what they are being used for commercially?
    If I were to get my hands on an unused battery pack that used these cells in say, a rechargeable drill or vacuum, and the pack was brand new and unused, could someone then take it apart and use these cells for vaping?

This isnt something Im willing to try out myself, nor do I feel the need to, nor do I have the confidence or knowledge of the inner workings of these components to start taking apart battery packs in the first place. :yawn: I just always wondered about that. Im sure that the batteries are all soldered together and there is a lot going on inside there(within the packaging itself) so for me-NO WAY!... But if someone were familiar with all that "stuff", could they use those batteries to vape with?

Sorry for going off topic, its just something Ive always been curious about but never wanted to ask for fear of ridicule :lol::oops:

But yes, there have been people that have modified theyre Broadside mods to accommodate the 20700 cell with success. Minimal success in my opinion, but success nonetheless! :2c:

Outcast

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    So just so everyone know, I know Mooch you did a separate test and thread on chargers but I have tested the Nitecore New I4 with the Sanyo 20700A and the IJOY 20700 and both charged beautifully to 4.2v no problem and fit nicely in the charger.

I can’t find any 20700A battery’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So while reading some of the forums here and there I came across a gentleman who actually tried just that! He took apart his Broadside, including the delrin inner safety sleeve and was able to make it work. He was using an ijoy 20700 cell. I guess he had to take out the threaded, silver plated adjustable pin at the top cap and machine his own copper pin in order to make this work, but im not certain if this was needed, or if he wanted to do this himself. My guess is that it was a necessity. He then sanded and sanded(apparently going through a lot of sand paper) and finally got the copper pin to sit perfectly to the negative portion of the 20700 cell when everything is put back together. I believe he can only use it this way, negative side up, and if he sits the battery positive up, that it wont fit. I also believe he custom fit it for only one particular atty. Since he had to get rid of the adjustable pin at the top, the only way to make amy kind of adjustments (after getting the button on the bottom fine tuned to "just make contact" w/the 20700) is if your atomizer has an adjustable 510 pin. Even then, the amount your allowed to adjust will be minimal.

Seems like a whole lot of work to me, but Ill admit that as soon as I saw the photos of the finished product, I wanted to try it myself:sneaky: I do not want to make any permanent changes though since im thoroughly enjoying this mod with the VTC5a cells I bought and frankly, there will be a flood of mods accommodating all cell sizes soon and Id rather wait for one of those:) One mod with sleeves to fit a few different cell sizes. Sounds good to me!

On a side note,im hoping someone can help me out with something. These new Sanyo 20700A cells are impossible for consumers like us to get our hands on,but does anyone know of what they are being used for commercially?
    If I were to get my hands on an unused battery pack that used these cells in say, a rechargeable drill or vacuum, and the pack was brand new and unused, could someone then take it apart and use these cells for vaping?

This isnt something Im willing to try out myself, nor do I feel the need to, nor do I have the confidence or knowledge of the inner workings of these components to start taking apart battery packs in the first place. :yawn: I just always wondered about that. Im sure that the batteries are all soldered together and there is a lot going on inside there(within the packaging itself) so for me-NO WAY!... But if someone were familiar with all that "stuff", could they use those batteries to vape with?

Sorry for going off topic, its just something Ive always been curious about but never wanted to ask for fear of ridicule :lol::oops:

But yes, there have been people that have modified theyre Broadside mods to accommodate the 20700 cell with success. Minimal success in my opinion, but success nonetheless! :2c:

IIRC, they're available in some power tool battery packs. Check Google and YouTube.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Probably spot-welded. They need to be very, very carefully removed and their ends made flat again. Not for those without a lot of experience in doing this.
    OK thanks. Thats what I thought.

I want to try this battery (20700a Sanyo) very badly, however I have zero experience doing this type of work.

Too bad. Maybe they will be available in the future.

Either way thanks for the help!

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread