The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Sanyo NCR18650GA 10A 3300mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a great 12A battery

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The two cells tested were purchased with funds donated by the vaping community for the purposes of testing. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is great performing 10A 3300mAh-rated battery. I am rating at 12A because its temperature is low enough and its voltage is higher than other 10A batteries. I do not recommend using it over 42W/12A to minimize voltage sag. My maximum vaping amps (MVA) rating is 15A. This is due to the large battery voltage sag and not high temperatures. The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Panasonic bought Sanyo's battery business a few years ago so you can also find this cell being sold as a Panasonic.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 5A continuous it reached 3159mAh. This is good performance for a 3300mAh high internal resistance cell at 5A so I am rating it at 3000mAh.
    • At 10A continuous the temperature rose to 60°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and lower than other high internal resistance cells. This is an indication that we are operating below its true rating.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 77°C, just below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR. But the voltage is sagging a lot, an indication that we are operating at above its true rating.
    • At 20A continuous the voltage very quickly dropped to 3.2V and the battery got dangerously hot, 113°C.
    • I am setting a CDR of 12A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 12A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/18350-safety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/18650-safety-grades-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/26650-safety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The first comment has an error. It should read...

"At 5A continuous it reached 3159mAh. This is good performance for a 3300mAh high internal resistance cell at 5A so I am rating it at 3300mAh."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vesh

Vesh Super Member Verified Member

Supporting member
    Jan 17, 2017
    Hmmm... I just noticed this...

I was just realising, using these sorts of things in dual battery regulated mods or triple or quad, would allow you to raise the wattage relatively right? So realistically, in a 4 battery mod, you could actually use these massive capacity batteries at 150 watts safely. Which is insane.
    Or in a dual battery mod, you could use them at 75-80 watts, right? As far as the smaller single battery mods i use for my MTL TC vaping, where i am always 30 watts or under, this battery would be a good choice that gives me absolute max life yes? I might buy a couple and give them a go. Thanks for the tests as always.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Barkuti

Barkuti Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2016
    The question may need some analysis for a precise answer, Vesh.

[​IMG]
    Sorry if it says “NCR18650GA 3500mAh”, did Panasonic reduced the original rating of this cell because it was excessively optimistic? Well, HKJ recorded same capacity at 10A and internal resistance seems the same, looks to be the same cell.

As can be seen, at 10A continuous I'd say a 30Q starts winning the match. In terms of power, I'd stay below 35W for this type of cell, if more is required switch to the higher discharge rate specced ones for better overall efficiency and service life.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Vesh

Supporting member
    Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks so much for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    In my testing the crossover, where the 20A 3000mAh batteries are a better choice, occurred in the 5A-7A range. I'd recommend staying below 25W each to see the difference the extra capacity of the Panasonic.

@Vesh, it's certainly worth testing at higher wattages if you have some 30Q's around.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    It's always had a rated capacity of 3300mAh.
    Its "typical capacity" is rated at 3450mAh and a lot of people just round that up.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Barkuti

Barkuti Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2016
    Well, comparing the 7A curves in terms of energy output I'd say the switch over point is around there, 25+W but no less from what I can see. Since high capacity cells do not seem to be optimized for faster than 1C discharge rates, makes a heap of sense. ;)

Cheers [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vesh

Supporting member
    Jan 17, 2017
    Ok so for under 25W MTL vaping, it seems the battery would make sense from a capacity point of view. Will buy 2 now from my trusted ebay seller, as ebay also have a 10% coupon this month. Will be like 22 AUD shipped for two, of the red wrap one..from the only battery seller i trust, so i know they will be top bin.. Also, since most mods I use just happen to be two battery, 30 watts and under will be a maximum 5 amp draw per battery.. so.. again.. probably would make sense for MTL vaping.. not so much for higher wattages. thanks again

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.