Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
hey vaping turtle...just remember, nothing is stupid to ask or to state :)
keep vaping :vapor:

Remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. ECF is here to help newcomers to vaping (like myself) find answers and guide us along.

Oh, not stupid as in ignorant and lack of knowledge. Stupid as in insulting and unnecessary. I'll just keep vaping. Thanks guys. ;)

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
Been using 2 different sapphires on the buzz & buzz pro for 2 days now. Im really impressed!

Good hit every time, no wicks which is nice, the condensation thing on the side looks weird. The only thing i would change, is that i want to use my own drip tip.

sent from my always glamorous Android using Tapatalk

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Yes I have too. I tend to notice after i let them sit for a bit I get 1 or 2 good pulls from it and then the next is a plastic type taste.
After this happened the first time I disassembled, let soak in vodka for 48 hours, air dried for 48 hours, dry burned, replaced wick with CE2 wick and then same thing. My 2nd one did the same thing earlier today so I did the same thing except it was a quick soak in vodka and same result.
The plastic taste seems less at 3.2-3.3v (but still there) but when I go anywhere near 3.7 to 4.0 its a lot more noticeable.

I might just try turning one into a debridged atty as I do have more on the way.

Oh forgot to mention that I have tried several types of juices and they are all the same.

sanda

Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I just had a thought - is it possible that some of us are more sensitive to the plastic/burnt taste than others?

I say that because I've noticed in the past when I've tried my wife's PV that it tasted burnt to me but normal to her. In that case it was just a standard atty and dripping, so it wasn't a plasticky taste, but it did taste burnt.

It just seems really strange that 4 out of 4 were major fails for me but the overwhelming opinion seems fairly positive.

Last edited:

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
I just don't get how I could have had 4 fails from 4 tried when almost everyone else seems to be happy with them. Has anyone else noticed a plasticky burnt taste?

Yes, I never got more that a few good hits with my 2 before gunking and burned taste both on the original wicks and after cleaning and re-wicking. Probably bad batch. Great design. I'll try them again in the future.

(Used with 3.2v 510 and 4.2->3.7v Riva.)

Last edited:

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
After re-reading shanagan's findings, maybe not. Perhaps there are just bad batches and I was really unlucky.

What a bummer. :( I've been using the one Chris sent me nonstop since it arrived, with everything from the Crystal he sent, choco-strawberry and bwb cherry tobacco and so far, so good. I did notice though that it seemed to be getting much hotter yesterday.

I really do feel for you, because when they're not burnt tasting, they are AWESOME. But when they are.. ugh.

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
Regarding posssible improvments; first I've not recieved my yet, speaking out-of-turn.

It seems to me, to facilitate easier wick adjustments/replacments, you could top the addy with a rubber stopper of some sort to hold the wick. Formed in such a way that can be pulled off and a new wick replaced and dry burn the atty, at the same time have it tight to the tank sides for a better seal. Just a thought.

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
It's already somewhat like that, Slappy. The atty is a short unit consisting of the battery connector at one end, and a ceramic cup/coil at the other. The wick plate fits onto the coil side, has a short center tube for the wick, and a flat side for the air passageway. A silcone gasket fits on top of that, and the whole thing slides into the tube.

With everything lined up correctly, and the right density for the wick, it doesn't leak. It's also extremely simple to disassemble/reassemble for servicing.

The only weakness I've found is with replacement wicking; I've had little success getting CE2 wick to work as well as the factory wick. Otherwise it is a seriously good (and simple) design.

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Just to update I have been using the one on my eV Torch (ego type battery) which runs at 3.2v for about an hour and the plastic taste goes away. As soon as I crank it up even to 3.5v with my booster I get the plastic taste back. So it does seem that the ones I have don't like to go above 3.2v

The weird thing is when I measure the resistance its at about 3.1ohms. So either my multimeter is "out to lunch" or maybe its me :laugh:

But honestly if the ohms are higher shouldn't it perform better at higher voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread