Save a heavy smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear Forum Folks,

I have finally decided to do something about my horrible cigarette habit now that the horrible 60 cents a pack tax increase has gone into effect. I am easily a 2 ½ pack a day smoker of ultra light 100s. A lot of those cigarettes are burned up sitting in the ashtray. I have smoked now for 37+ years so if e-cigs help it will truly be a miracle.

I have spent a few days reading everything I can about the e-cig and thought I’d go with the Janty Dura as recommended by the esmoking101 writer. As luck would have it though, that site is down and has been for several days now. So then I figured I would go with the DSE901/b from esmokytreats.com since it comes with duel everything. The more I read though the more I am confused.

What is the best e-cigarette for the heavy smoker?
I would assume that battery life is important for someone who smokes constantly and wouldn’t I need extra batteries?
How long does it take to charge up a battery? Would I also need a 2nd charger to insure that one was ready to use at all hours?
Can you take a drag or hit and then set it down for an indefinite amount of time or is the cartridge drying up or the battery running down during that time?
I intend to order a bottle of juice with my first order as was suggested in 101 but what juice is best for an ultra light 100 smoker? I mean I want it to taste as close to smoking a cigarette as I can get. Once I ran out of smokes and only through desperation borrowed some menthols from a friend reminding myself how much I hate them and why I never have smoked them.

I just read a recent post from another newby looking to buy who says he only smoke 6 –7 real cigs a day. Heck… to me that’s a non-smoker.

What would you suggest for a real heavy user?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I've only been doing this about 4 weeks. I have the 901 from e-smokey-treats and Phil provides great service. It will take several hours of vaping to break in the atomizers. Keep the cart wet and at least at first put a drop on two on the atomizer. Vaping the carts dry will kill the atomizer. Personally, I have to cover the atomzier hole for a second when I inhale with the 901 and then let it up and continue to inhale to get much throat it. It heats up the atomizer a little more similar to what a manual switch does. The batteries last 2-3 hours but after the initial long charge, they charge back up in about an hour.

But if you are a heavy smoker, then do what I did. I have the 901 for my back-up light vaping but my main electronic vaporizer is the screwdriver. Go to trog's site and just get one. The batteries last 6-7 hours and you can buy them here in the states. The throat hit is the best. Stock up on atomizers (it uses the same as the 901) because you will go through them more quickly. I would guess maybe one every 3 weeks to a month.

On liquid, I use to smoke Kent's and I started with 18mg nic. strength and found it too light and switched to 24mg and like it the best. You can always buy some USP grade glycern from the drug store and cut it if it is too strong. I like puresmokers riskee and cola.

Good luck

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Some many people like different models. I am a heavy smoker and those mini's
e-cig just doesn't get it for me. I am not sure,what kind of e-cig you are wanting.

There are some that looks like a cigarette and others not. The screwdriver e -cig
does not look like a cigarette,yet it is known for heavy smokers. I have many e-cigs,
and the ones I like the most is my Magnum which is a homemade e-cig. Next coming
in is the screwdriver which can be ordered. The next is the Vapor king,next The vapor-cig and of course my pen e-cigs. All of theses e-cig can be order,except Magnum.

I know it is very confusing. So many people have differnet opinions. I will say this about
batteries. Want a long lasting batteries,buy any of those I mention.

You may want to try the cheap pen e-cig to see if you like e-cigs. Hate for you spend
alot of money and not like it. If I was you I would get the Vapor king as my first e-cig.

The vapor king comes with a throw away atomizer and long battery life and kinda
looks like a cigarette. I did not work for them, I am just a regular person,trying to help.

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear wv2win,

Thank you for your kind reply now all I need to do is find this trog’s site and find this screwdriver. I used to smoke Kent Golden Light 100s way back before cig prices went entirely out of sight. Do you think 24mg is too much for an “ultra light” smoker? As you say I can always cut it with glycerin or stretch it and save money maybe.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009

The Janty Dura or a 901 are good devices. Pen-style vaporizors are longer, have a larger cartridge and produce very good vapor. Starter kits are available from most of our suppliers. I use a Janty Kissbox and an NPRO NCIG with a Puresmoker or VaporGuys atomizers.

I would assume that battery life is important for someone who smokes constantly and wouldn’t I need extra batteries?
How long does it take to charge up a battery? Would I also need a 2nd charger to insure that one was ready to use at all hours?

Batteries may last you around two hours or so. Extra batteries are recommended, and a second charger is nice to have if you find you are tearing through too many batteries in a day. The LiON batteries take from 2-3 hours to recharge. get a USB Pass-Through to power your vaporizer from the USB port of a computer. Saves you from buying lots of batteries and chargers. If you decide to really get into this new habit, a portable USB power pack (I recommend one from Kensington) will allow you to continue using the pass-through in the car or walking around.

Can you take a drag or hit and then set it down for an indefinite amount of time or is the cartridge drying up or the battery running down during that time?

You can put the device down with minimal loss of smoking fluid from evaporation. The battery is not active until you take a draw from the vaporizer.

I intend to order a bottle of juice with my first order as was suggested in 101 but what juice is best for an ultra light 100 smoker? I mean I want it to taste as close to smoking a cigarette as I can get.

Taste is so subjective. You will likely spend a good deal of money trying various smoking juices from different manufacturers. If you rule out menthol and specialty flavors, you will have a handful to choose from. I just received a bottle of Johnson Creek Tennessee-cured and 555 from Puresmoker. Both are very nice. Start with a higher nicotine content such as 24mg/ml. If it is too strong, you can cut it down.

Don't blow a wad of cash to start. First see if you like it. A personal vaporizer, to me, provides about 40% or so of the analog experience. There is a learning curve and you will understand all the stuff people write about on this forum when you start using your new device.

What you want to order is a good start. I would suggest one or two additional atomizers as these things are pretty unreliable. When the atomizer dies, you cannot vape.

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear Rejoice,
I too hope I will like e-cigs but I’ve just decided I will because I can’t afford to keep on the way I have been going. I don’t really don’t think I care if it looks like a cig and am really eager to see how much less I smoke when I don’t feel obligated to puff on one that I have lit.
I wonder… can you just take a puff or two and then actually put it down and puff again when you actually feel like it instead of stopping what I am doing to drag so I don’t waste? Thank you for your response.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
Dear Forum Folks,

I have finally decided to do something about my horrible cigarette habit now that the horrible 60 cents a pack tax increase has gone into effect. I am easily a 2 ½ pack a day smoker of ultra light 100s. A lot of those cigarettes are burned up sitting in the ashtray. I have smoked now for 37+ years so if e-cigs help it will truly be a miracle.

I have spent a few days reading everything I can about the e-cig and thought I’d go with the Janty Dura as recommended by the esmoking101 writer. As luck would have it though, that site is down and has been for several days now. So then I figured I would go with the DSE901/b from esmokytreats.com since it comes with duel everything. The more I read though the more I am confused.

I intend to order a bottle of juice with my first order as was suggested in 101 but what juice is best for an ultra light 100 smoker? I mean I want it to taste as close to smoking a cigarette as I can get. Once I ran out of smokes and only through desperation borrowed some menthols from a friend reminding myself how much I hate them and why I never have smoked them.

I just read a recent post from another newby looking to buy who says he only smoke 6 –7 real cigs a day. Heck… to me that’s a non-smoker.

Well, you should be highly comended for wanting, actually for needing to stop smoking, I, have stopped for 6 plus months, also a very huge smoker
3 plus pks a day, forever, Camels and Mbs full strength\
I did develop COPD, as most of us may have, however
, the forum was not as intense as it is today, so reading and educating yourself is great. The process of finding what works, is not an easy one, nor inexpensive. You need to be prepared to try a few things from a variety of suppliers, All of them seem to be real solid people
I have purchased almost every item, cos I did not know any better at first
Now, I use the SD, mini pipe, 901, 801 and an ecigar, all primed and ready to go all day. I have backups on each and USB passthrus on each, when needed. Mobile devices and anything and everything that keeps me off analogs, I use only 36 mg, cos I need that pump and hit ALL THE TIME.

I read constantly to see what is new and what may be developing,. I have enough back up on juice and atomizers and batteries to hold me to next century. But that is the way I do things, most junkies go a little overboard
All I am trying to say, is be prepared and not intimadated by all the chatter and stuff that may not make any sense today, Within a week or two, you will be an expert for what works for you, maybe a little longer

great success

Duckies

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Philly
HI realheavy and welcome to the forums fom another newbie. :)

I smoked 2 packs a day of full flavor menthol. Once I started vaping, I decided I like it MUCH better. I still have my habit, but no smell, tar, etc....

24 menthol was a bit high for me, so I bought some 0 nic strength and am cutting it to 18. That way I still have the 24 if I need a boost for whatever reason. My PVs are DSE901s.

Even though I am still a nicotine addict, I can tell you that I feel TONS better now than when I was still smoking analogs.

Enjoy!

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Dear Rejoice,
I too hope I will like e-cigs but I’ve just decided I will because I can’t afford to keep on the way I have been going. I don’t really don’t think I care if it looks like a cig and am really eager to see how much less I smoke when I don’t feel obligated to puff on one that I have lit.
I wonder… can you just take a puff or two and then actually put it down and puff again when you actually feel like it instead of stopping what I am doing to drag so I don’t waste? Thank you for your response.
\

You can puff all you want and stop when you want too. That I one of
the lovely thing about vaping. Just like Cosican I owe all the same e-cigs except the e-cigar. SD means the screwdriver,if you didn't know. I too
spend alot of money on e-cigs and liquid. Trying to find a e-liquid I like.
I am very picky about my e-liquid.

It is hard as first to find,what works for you. It can be done and alot
faster using this forum. When I first started e-cigs,I didn't know about
this forum. It was like shooting in the dark. I would try this and that.
I was almost ready to say,forget it until I found the forum. Just ask questions and others will help you.:)

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear breakfastchef,

I can’t thank you enough for all your advice. I hope I really get into this new habit too but I am a shut-in so don’t need to worry about computer connections or car chargers.

I will look at one or both of Johnson Creek Tennessee-cured and 555 from Puresmoker. Only 40% of the analog experience huh… hope that’s enough for some serious cutbacks at least. I just hope I can get all I need before the FDA decides to screw things up. Just my luck that they become interested in this device the same day I do. They leave Chantex alone and apparently it has actually killed some folks. My doctor wanted to put me on Chantex to get me to quit but I figured I’d wait to see if like so many other drugs it ended up having severe side effects. Have you heard yet of a death from an e-cigarette?

Thanks again.

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear Duckies,

At least it’s a new habit. I am so excited to think of the “no smell” advantage. I’m excited about the prospects of so many advantages… No burn holes in anything… no overflowing ashtrays… no waiting at the door for my next cigarette order to arrive… (although I suppose if I don’t stay stocked correctly I might still be doing that)… and am looking forward to feeling better. I’ve yet to hear of the downside to these things.

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear e-pipeman

Thank you and forgive me for all my shortcomings but what does “imho” mean and where can I find this Evo? A lot of people keep mentioning recharging through the usb port on my computer. I can recharge through a regular power strip can’t I or is that a slower way to do it? Like the idea of 8hr battery life.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
Dear e-pipeman

Thank you and forgive me for all my shortcomings but what does “imho” mean and where can I find this Evo? A lot of people keep mentioning recharging through the usb port on my computer. I can recharge through a regular power strip can’t I or is that a slower way to do it? Like the idea of 8hr battery life.

A passthru allows you to not use a battery at all, you use the power from the laptop and in my case I and several others use mobile devices., APC or Kennsington, about $60,00 and you go all day, yeah you have a cord to deal w/ but it is worth it

All the terms and lingo, will come to you as you read. As others have mentioned, I only wish I had this forum, when I began. But, that is another time and place. It is amazing just how much it has grown, just in the short time I have been a member.
Everybody loves to help and share their experience. As well as everyone has their own favorite cig, not all will be yours, The SD, screwdriver is expensive, but for me, well worth it, so is the mini pipe
great draw, great throat hit and good battery life

Take out a 3rd mortgage on your home, or just forget your kids college and just buy everything. like I did, My kids have not eaten in 3 months, but I have my stash and I am not smoking The kids needed to lose some weight anyhow. Read and learn and buy from the suppliers that have a good rep, Look at the reviews and ask all the ?'s, you cannot ask stupid
we all were at one time or another

ed_bollix

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2008
Royal Oak, Michigan usa
We all speak from out personal experiences. I started with a 901 kit that came with 2 atomizers and 3 batteries, a AC charger and a USB charger. This combination allowed me to have 3 fully charged batteries when I walked out the door in the AM. During the day you are using one, charging one and have the nice 3rd battery to screw on when the vapor stops. The pass through USB connection sounds like a great idea but I need the thing to be portable.

There are so many of these things out there but most people will agree that a new 901 is a pretty good device. Just be sure you have enough stuff! You do not want this thing to fail or to be without it. Find a supplier in your basic geographic location though most of these people will ship to anywhere promptly. customer service is everything in the e-cig business. Buying 2 starter kits may seem like a lot but it's not once you do the math and see what you are spending on analogs. Spare atomizers are a wonderful thing to have sitting around for that emergency moment when things fail... and they will fail.

I wish you the best of luck and it is indeed confusing. Get enough stuff, have spare everything and enjoy playing with the different flavors of juice. I like the Johnson Creek Sampler... You have 10 different things to try for about $30.00, I think. I am one of the people that really likes the Johnson Creek produce and use it daily... The Juice is such a matter of taste. Get you stuff ordered and soon you will hopefully be in the place a LOT of us are... not using analogs!

realheavy

Mar 28, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear Kind Folks,

So I took a bit of a break to do my research on the Screwdriver and wouldn’t you know according to their forum Trog says that as of 6:45 p.m. yesterday the only thing available is the body only or the basic kit with no atomizers or liquid. Apparently the screwdriver uses a
901 atomizer and he can’t get them in England and won’t get a shipment until after 4/18. It also takes several weeks to get the screwdriver from England. So that is the basic kit with no atomizers or liquid for $128.58 + 9.99 shipping or $138.58. I’ve read very good reviews of this but I would still have to purchase atomizers and cartridges and juice etc. and don’t know if there is a USB pass-through for a screwdriver. I assume not since its battery life is what it is all about. So here’s what I decided… please correct me if I’m wrong or add what I may have forgotten.

I am going with the Starter Kit from e-smoky treats which I believe to be a 901. (Then if I do decided I like vaping I can go on and order a screwdriver and the atomizers and such from the 901 can be used with it.
Starter kit
2 - 30 ml bottle of Johnson Creek Ten. Cured
an extra atomizer
So how many blank cartridges should I get? 50 maybe? Is that .50 cents a piece for those or do they come in sets of 5.
I’d like to get a USB pass-through but I don’t think I can get that from e-smoky treats and I looked on bestcig.com and couldn’t find it listed there. Vaporguys.com has one… is that where everybody gets theirs?
Gee this has all given me a headache. Have I forgotten anything?

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Hi Realheavy,

I'm another one who would heartily endorse the Screwdriver for you. But given the circumstance of Trog being out of the full kit right now, I think your decision to go with Phil's 901 kit is a great idea. You are absolutely right, if you decide to order the Screwdriver in the near future, you can use your 901 atomizers with it, and it's always good to have a spare handy in case of emergencies anyway.

I don't think you need too many carts, ten should be enough, as you can wash out the fuzz inside and reuse, and even buy material to replace the fuzz very cheaply. Filled ones should come in packs of five, but blanks are often sold one by one. Since the filled ones hardly cost any more than the blanks, why not just get them, and refill with your liquid when they get dry.

Any 901 USB passthough that you have been able to locate will be compatible with your kit.

Best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread