Saw my first anti-vape signage today

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I was down at the USS Midway museum today for an event, and saw this sign - just figured I'd share, haven't seen anything like this directly equating vaping to smoking in San Diego before...

no e-smoking uss midway.jpg

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
So I was down at the USS Midway museum today for an event, and saw this sign - just figured I'd share, haven't seen anything like this directly equating vaping to smoking in San Diego before...

View attachment 321665

Seems to be an error on that sign since you can't smoke e-cigarettes... :glare:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
The graphic is incorrect as well. No PV or cigalike that I know of vents "sidestream" vapor from the end opposite the mouthpiece ... :confused:

Do these people even think about facts, or just blunder ahead with misinformation ?

I'm disappointed that this was done at the Midway, which is a great tourist attraction, and staffed by knowledgable and friendly docents, many are Navy veterans ...

A sign of the times ... :(

OBDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The graphic is incorrect as well. No PV or cigalike that I know of vents "sidestream" vapor from the end opposite the mouthpiece ... :confused:

Do these people even think about facts, or just blunder ahead with misinformation ?

I'm disappointed that this was done at the Midway, which is a great tourist attraction, and staffed by knowledgable and friendly docents, many are Navy veterans ...

A sign of the times ... :(

Disappointing here too, especially since my grandfather actually served aboard the Midway when it was in service.

Um -- just thinking out loud here -- but there MIGHT be some finicky sensors in-use for smoke/vapors/fumes that could be fooled by eCig vapors. (Certainly wouldn't do anyone's image any good to set-off a false alarm.) Another justifiable situation I can think of would be if there were dangerous chemicals nearby that rely upon indicator scents for leak detection that could be masked by vaping. (This is probably NOT the case on a decommissioned aircraft carrier.) I used to work around cyanide, and dear gawd you did NOT want anything that would mask the scent of any of it getting loose. (Smells like almonds, but only once. The first thing killed by cyanide is your sense of smell! So, if you smelled almonds, but don't anymore, DON'T INHALE AGAIN, just get the french-toast outta there ASAP.)

Anybody

Aug 1, 2013
Arlington, TX
Perhaps there will be a public resistance to such signs, with people using indelible markers to add comments like, "You can't smoke a vaporizer".

Please do not take this as an incitement to action.

Felt pens are about $1.

I saw one of these signs at a restaurant last weekend, and thought about doing exactly this. Unfortunately I didn't have a Sharpie with me, or I would have done more than thought about it.

Danssoslow

Verified Member
Not to change the subject, but rather to tell a tale from the other side of the spectrum. I've been working at a local college lately here in Jefferson county, which is a smoke-free county. Inside of the research building we are working on, there is a lab where rats are exposed to cigarette smoke 24/7 to test long term effects. Upstairs where we are working, we are allowed to vape within the construction areas (save for the hallways were staff may pass).

I'm not so oblivious to believe Louisville doesn't have its share of anti-vaping proponents or misinformed people; but the town in general seems to be very accepting of vaping. For every "antifreeze" comment encountered, I'll hear ten from people interested in how it's working for me; or the "ooh, where's that pancake smell coming from".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread