The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Saying hi and sharing my story

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by captiancd89, Aug 25, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. captiancd89

captiancd89 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hi ECF!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello everyone here on the forum. It feels like just yesterday I started vaping but as of today its been almost 6 years!

I first started smoking in high school when I was around 15 years old. I was up to two packs a day by 17. I started to experience serious side effects from this. I developed asthma and was having a lot of trouble breathing. If I inhaled too much (filled my lungs with air completely) I could basically induce a asthma attack on command (Asthma by Ron Jeremy™)

I found vaping the year I graduated from High school, and fell in love tasted better and go figure all the complications I was having with cigarettes disappeared! I was on and off back then, I think that it was mostly due to the fact that the Ecig tech was not very advanced yet, and the controversy at that time was under full swing.

In 2012 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer (I was 22 at the time) out of the blue. I was told by my doctors that this was one of the best types to have as its usually cured with one procedure (an orchiectomy). Three days after Diagnosis I was put under the knife for that procedure. It went relatively well, with no physical complications. Two weeks later after they finished the biopsy, they found out it was worse then expected. The cancer had spread to the Lymph Nodes in my stomach. I had a much more likely chance that I would not survive. I was given two options between chemo or a very invasive surgery called a RPLND. I decided on the surgery. For times sake I wont go into crazy detail but I was bed ridden for around a year due to a hernia in my stomach, developed a liking for my pain and sleep pills and a pretty big case of anxiety.

Two years later and I am fully cancer free! Still working on the sleeping meds but I kicked the crap out of those pain meds and anxiety.

I haven't smoked a Cigarette in going on two full years which for me is amazing and have no smoking associated side effects. I am also weening myself to lower nic levels to at some point kick the habit forever.

I love ECF, you guys will always have a fond place in my heart, I remember when there where hardly any active people on the forums now there are so many; its amazing to see this community blossom and grow through the dedication of people wanting to kick a nasty habit.

Thanks guys much love,

Peter

• Like Like x 7
  2. ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    Congratulations on making it so far with your vaping and everything else. Sounds like it's been quite a few years. I'm in the middle of coming off pain meds for a non-terminal condition that I came to like a little too much, too, so I sure as hell feel you there. TBH after that I think the sleep meds will be cake. If you can quit the painkillers and cigarettes-- the latter of which I always hear is by far the hardest addiction to quit, even worse than most hard drugs-- you can do that.

Kicking habits all around! Good work, and good job putting yourself out there as an inspiration to others who need it. I know when I first started vaping I had a really hard time imagining myself 4-5 years in without cigarettes, but time passes and you get there. This is really just so great to read.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jwbnyc

jwbnyc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 4, 2014
    Congratulations on being cancer free!

• Like Like x 2
  4. mattiem

mattiem ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you for sharing your journey. Congratulations on kicking both the smoking and the Cancer to the curb.

• Like Like x 3
  5. captiancd89

captiancd89 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Those pain pills where very hard! Mood swings and overall crappyness for a while but I know you can do it! If your feelin super down feel free to shoot me a PM im always here to help :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    @captiancd89 I may very well take you up on that sometime. It's a real bear, as I know you know. Same to you re: the sleep pills, I know that's no fun either so don't hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck and I have a feeling you'll be hearing from me sooner or later :/ I'm thinking positive thoughts though, and sending good vibes your way!

• Like Like x 1
  7. towelie

towelie Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2014
    In a cloud
    Most triumphant! Congrats dude thats awesome, with your attitude there will be MANY more victories in your life.

• Like Like x 2
  8. motordude

motordude Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2015
    VA, USA
    You are definitely wise beyond your years.
    Life takes a lot of twist and turns, but your attitude makes all the difference.
    Good luck in the future!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diver9543

Diver9543 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    Great life story, Peter! So very glad to hear you kicked the Big C. I went through a similar fight with my wife. She fought a good fight, however, the Big C won in the end. Congrats on kicking the pills and cigs. One day at a time my friend. I will continue to say a few prayers for you if you don't mind. Keep on vaping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.