SB Melting my Carts !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobalot

Sep 17, 2009
UK
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but last week I got a pair of RCR123A batteries and used them with an old almost dead atomizer on my SB. Wow it came back to life and was amazing. This week I've put on a new atomizer and now it seems to be worryingly melting the cart all the time!! :-x :confused: 8-o

Could this be a dodgy atomizer getting to hot or is this normal. I've tried positioning the cart inline with the wick but this doesn't see to be making much difference.

On the Plus side I do get loads of vapour though :D

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
I take it you are vaping at 6v.

To vape at 6v is different in method compared to vaping at 3.7v. Lets make that clear for a starter.

Holding the button for a count of 2 releasing and inhaling for a further 2 seconds, without the button being depressed is the general method used, in order to prevent the atomiser getting too hot and potentially blowing..

I have never known a cart to burn.. but saying that, I vape using an 801. So I have to assume you are using 510 or 901..

901 burns hotter than a 510, so Im now thinking it could be a 901 you are using...

Make sure that the filling is not raised in any way.. as this can catch, overheat and cause a problem with the cart.

So if this is a 901 causing the problem, all I can suggest is that the cart must be touching the atty...

Have you any other carts you can try? old ones? maybe one you used on a different ecig? other than that, I dont know what to suggest.

Bobalot

Sep 17, 2009
UK
Thanks for your reply Christena,

I'm using a 510 at 6v, but in all honesty I used to get the carts deforming on the 3.7v as well sometimes. Its always on the flat sides of the carts. it doesn't taste funny or anything just assumed that everyone else must get the same problem using the SB.

I've just topped my cart and I've flooded it a little as its 6v, but looking at the cart I can see the flat sides have sunk about 1/2 mil already.

I buy prefilled carts and top them off. Normally one cart will last about 1-2 days before I throw them away.

Kelemvor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Germany NRW
510 runs hotter than 901 ;)

i had the edges melting too, one has to be really carefull with 6V vaping, if the batteries are fully loaded more than a 2 second drag starts getting the cart to meld.

one thing to prevent this is dripping and the use of a soft 801 tip on the atomizer.

[edit] align the cart to the white atomizer "potty" not the wick. ;)

Last edited:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Bob, a good rule with 6v (and vaping period) is to check the outside heat level of the atomizer (near the bottom) against your lip. If it is too hot to put comfortably against your lip, you should give a rest between puffs.

The melting is caused by the outer metal tube of the atomizer being over heated to almost red hot at the bottom near the heating element and melting the cart. Your old atty could have been wimpy and on the way out, so it didn't get as hot. I have some like that.

Many just cut a portion of the bottom of the cart off, and drip so they don't melt carts. Also having another unit standing by to vape with while one cools down helps.

You can't chain vape with 6v (or a standard 510 really, as they get pretty hot quickly). It is easy to do when we get a new toy!!

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I use a 510 at 5 volt and I can say for sure that cart do melt a high volt 5 or 6.

To fix just trim about 1/8in off the cart and trim the filler about 1/32 below cart lip

White cart is normal Black cart is trimmed for high volt

IMG_2951.jpg

Hobbiest Not A Manufacturer

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Thanks for your reply Christena,

I'm using a 510 at 6v, but in all honesty I used to get the carts deforming on the 3.7v as well sometimes. Its always on the flat sides of the carts. it doesn't taste funny or anything just assumed that everyone else must get the same problem using the SB.

I've just topped my cart and I've flooded it a little as its 6v, but looking at the cart I can see the flat sides have sunk about 1/2 mil already.

I buy prefilled carts and top them off. Normally one cart will last about 1-2 days before I throw them away.

The flat cart sides are deforming or melting cause you don't ALIGN the cart.

See the hot white thing in the atty? see it's shape?

See the shape of the cart opening?

See they are the same?

ALIGN them.

Bobalot

Sep 17, 2009
UK
The flat cart sides are deforming or melting cause you don't ALIGN the cart.

See the hot white thing in the atty? see it's shape?

See the shape of the cart opening?

See they are the same?

ALIGN them.

Hey, I'd not noticed the white thing.. it is the same shape how about that!!!
Ok, I've been putting the cart in the atty in the oposite direction for months. Thanks for that everyone.

I guess this has become more of an issue now I've upped the voltage. I'll try and not over do it as well when it gets hot.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Well I have learned something from this thread too... thanks guys..

Sorry, I got my 901 and 510 mixed up there too.. course the 510 runs hotter, I should have remembered that... my logic was 901 seems to do better at 6v, lasts longer, or it appears so, by the various posts I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread