Scalping Vape gear on ECF needs to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyGunBC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver B.c.
I've had it browsing the classified section and seeing the same Scalpers day in day out , buying hard to come by vape gear and just selling it for a profit on the classifieds .

ECF is a Community of Vapers and community is about sharing and helping out your fellow members not fleecing them because you can ,please visit the link below to a poll regarding this topic and Vote

Change needs to happen , if these same members want to continue this scalping they should go elsewhere and or be charged a premium for it as they are nothing but unregulated suppliers .

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...classifieds-rules-not-allow-profiteering.html

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
There's no reason to change the forum rules. If you think you're getting ripped off, don't buy from them. If no one buys from them, they'll go under. Obviously there are people that do want to buy from them. Capitalism, free enterprise, and supply and demand are terms that spring to mind. Food, and drink, and shelter are necessities, vaping is not.

s14sher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
Oklahoma
I have to go with the Free Market view. Let the market take care of itself. If someone has a hard to get item, why shouldn't they be allowed to sell for the current market value? If people buy them, that's what the market will bear. If no one buys overpriced items, there will be a decline in sellers. However, I could see where some could be considered commercial posts and come close to being spam. Maybe some sort of compromise? Like occasional sellers can post in one section and someone who sells over X amount per month posts in another section.

Anoob2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
central IL
There's no reason to change the forum rules. If you think you're getting ripped off, don't buy from them. If no one buys from them, they'll go under. Obviously there are people that do want to buy from them. Capitalism, free enterprise, and supply and demand are terms that spring to mind. Food, and drink, and shelter are necessities, vaping is not.

I have to agree with this. If you dont like it show it with your wallets, dont buy from those people. There are many sellers on ecf that do sell at great prices. There is no need for more rules.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have to agree with this. If you dont like it show it with your wallets, dont buy from those people. There are many sellers on ecf that do sell at great prices. There is no need for more rules.

This argument misses the point. For harder to get items, people are deliberately swooping in and buying them up in multiple quantities, thereby preventing ordinary consumers from being able to buy at retail themselves during a short lived period of availability. This is artificially increasing the demand and driving up the prices people are seeing in the classifieds for those items. There have even been cases of people fraudulently buying under different names and/or accounts when suppliers have tried to limit sales to one or two of a newly released batch to prevent such scalping from happening!

ECF can and should prevent this despicable activity with a retail price cap in the classifieds, at the very least for those products that are still being sold. If you champions of "free market" want an exception for classic products that are in fact no longer being sold at retail, then that could be a possible exception.

Last edited:

TommyGunBC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver B.c.

I agree I will not buy from the scalpers , but there should be a rule in place maybe not on the markup but on how many times they can sell in the classified section per month/year , because the same people are abusing it and should be made to become a supplier , they are just out to make $ not help the community in a way at all

okcodemonkey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Oklahoma
www.okcodemonkey.com
Has anyone mentioned this rule:

We have expressed on numerous occasions we will not be the "Price Police" but if the price is obviously inflated in an attempt to profit from your sell, the thread will be closed and consequences will follow.

is 200%+ markup not "obviously inflated". I notice people post being deleted but the seller's post keep going.

Last edited:

grruss

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids
www.mister-e-liquid.com
Well, there is a rule against building to sell in the classifieds. Why not a rule against buying to sell. You have a special section for builders of devices... Suppliers. Why not have a section for retailers of devices. They quite simply are businesses, just like suppliers. They should register as businesses, just like suppliers do. Come on ECF, fix this.

vaptamist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
FL
Capitalism, free enterprise, and supply and demand are terms that spring to mind.

Great. Have them register as suppliers, start a registered, tax-paying business with the government, and THEN it will be fine for you to throw around economic terms like these as they will now be a legitimate part of the economic system, and not working outside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread