Scary Situation with a KGO Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbenjamin2000

Jun 9, 2011
Des Moines
I had a very scary situation last night. I had been vaping using a 1.8 ohm Cisco Spec atomizer on a KGO v.1 style battery that I've had quite a while. I went to set it down, and the battery would not stop firing! Smoke was actively pouring out of the atomizer with no sign of stopping. (I had always thought an atty would fry and stop in that kind of situation). Fortunately, I was wearing a sweatshirt, and was able to cover my hand so I could twist the hot atty off of the battery.

Aren't KGO batteries supposed to be short circuit protected? Has this happened to anyone else? If I could afford to buy a mod that would automatically shut down, I would. But unfortunately can't at this point. I threw both the atty and the battery away. Ordered another atty from Avidvaper.

VinPuff68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2012
Poconos, PA
Hi WBen,

Sometimes the KgO buttons will get sticky, especially if any juice leaked down under the button..
Maybe your button was just stuck in the fire/on position?

When this happened to me, I just flicked and clicked the button a few times.. and it didnt happen anymore.

I think you can also take the smaller whitish rubber / silicone buttons out , as I see Brent from HoosierE-cig does sell replacements for them.

IMO.. KgO's are generally very reliable, safe, trouble and maintenence free .. (My experience during use of them.)

Good Luck.

- Vin

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Did the button get stuck?

I've had this happen. Once with a very old riva battery and once with a brand new, right out of the box battery. On the older one the soft button seem to get stuck. I was able to get the carto off and sort of pry the center pin up very slightly. I threw them both away too.

I don't know if it's super common on the ego type batteries, but it can happen. Now if a battery starts getting old and not really holding a charge very long, I throw it away. The newer one was probably just a case of a defective battery. The other battery in the kit was fine.

wbenjamin2000

Jun 9, 2011
Des Moines
Did the button get stuck?

I've had this happen. Once with a very old riva battery and once with a brand new, right out of the box battery. On the older one the soft button seem to get stuck. I was able to get the carto off and sort of pry the center pin up very slightly. I threw them both away too.

I don't know if it's super common on the ego type batteries, but it can happen. Now if a battery starts getting old and not really holding a charge very long, I throw it away. The newer one was probably just a case of a defective battery. The other battery in the kit was fine.

I agree that the KGO's in general are very safe and hassle free. The battery that I threw out was about a year old, so it was due to fail at some point I suppose. It's amazing how long they hold up. I'm starting to rething atty's though. If this had happened with a clearomizer, I would have been able to get it off without the risk of burning my fingers. I like atty's, because I've always gotten the best results with dripping. Plus, Cicsco Spec atty's are usually also bullet proof.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
my ego twist button gets stuck down every so often. just a flick and its back to normal. also sometimes it doesnt "click" when i release the button, sometimes it does. little quirks, nothing too big IMO.
your Kgo batt may have been shot, maybe not. the atty was probably still good, but hey i guess you can never be too safe.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
Depends on where you get your KGO. I don't think they are all made with safetys. Mine never had an automatic shut off. I also hosed the 2 I had when I started getting into rba's. They shorted and let out a little stinky puff of gas. I've since learned to test any rebuilt atty before firing on a batt and now I use the kgo vv which has safetys.:) live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread