The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Schools telling kids that vaping is worse than smoking

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by kathi17, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. kathi17

kathi17 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    I haven't posted on here in a while because life has gotten in the way, but I'm still vaping and not smoking.
    For the last few years, my grandchildren have been so excited because I quit smoking and started vaping. The grandchildren arrived for vacation yesterday, and are now really upset because they started teaching them in school that vaping is worse than smoking. They actually would rather see me smoke than vape.

It really hurts me to have them think that, and I feel the school is totally irresponsible for teaching them that. Not only because they are more worried about me vaping than they were when I was smoking, but they are also teaching kids who are susceptible to smoking, that it would be better to smoke than to vape.

I'm wondering how many other people are hearing things like that from their kids and grandkids, and it would be interesting to see which parts of the country are actively teaching kids that. My grandchildren are in the Greece Central School District, near Rochester, NY. I wonder if the state of New York is pushing that, or if it's the Greece, or Rochester, NY schools???

Is anyone else hearing from the kids in their areas that smoking is better than vaping?

• Like Like x 8
  2. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    Ask the kids if they got anything written that says that? Is there a handout? If the answer is yes promise the kids anything it takes and please please PLEASE get a copy. Take a photo or scan of the page and pass it along. We might be able to do some good with that. If any schools are suggesting it might be better to smoke than vape it would be SO helpful to have the evidence.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Hmm, my youngest just graduated high school and I don't have any grandkids yet, so I'm not sure what lies they're telling the younger kids in schools right now.

• Like Like x 4
  4. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    :facepalm:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  5. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I would write a Letter to the Principle of the School your Grandchildren attend, and CC it to the regional Board of Education, asking for a Clarification if this part of the School's Curriculum?

Or if it is the Opinion of a Teacher who feels it is His/Her need to express His/Her Opinion onto impressionable students.

• Like Like x 16
  6. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    There you go with unintended consequences of these regulations. Although probably not that unintended as I'm sure BT is thrilled with this outcome.

• Like Like x 5
  7. DancingHeretik

DancingHeretik Dancing in the Chaos Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you for the flyer.

• Like Like x 3
  8. kathi17

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    I will ask them. They are out of school now, and of course the handout would be in NY and they are in Maine visiting us right now, but yes, it would be interesting to find out if they are just being taught by word of mouth, or whether there is a handout. Now that you mention it, I would love if the schools were sending out flyers, because then we would have more proof of what they are saying.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Train2

Train2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    Agreed - I doubt highly this is an official part of the curriculum, rather a teacher - with, believe it or not - good intentions. They are spreading the crap THEY'VE HEARD - and perhaps you can educate them and they'll tone it down.

Considering what that teacher is probably exposed to in media, he/she probably thinks there is a horrible trend of teens vaping and that it's worse than cigs and getting them "hooked on nicotine" blah blah blah.

Bring that poster a few posts up and go meet the teacher and explain - you don't want kids to start vaping, but also don't want them told fraudulent information planted by tobacco companies...

• Like Like x 8
  10. kathi17

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    Unfortunately, my granddaughter didn't quite believe me when I told her that the cigarette companies were some of the ones behind this lie, because vaping hurts them.

I was waiting for something like this to happen, and was hoping that it never would. I guess after hearing all the propaganda they spout, that the schools have taught them, I should have known for sure that this would be one more thing they would be taught.

• Like Like x 3
  11. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    How old are these kids? Would a quadruple ration of icecream get it done? If the kids are older and have smartphones they can contact classmates at home and see who has the handout if one exists. If it's on paper the friend can photograph the item and email it. If you offer the right incentive you'll have it in 30 minutes.

• Like Like x 4
  12. kathi17

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    I really want to do that. Unfortunately, I am too far away to go to the school, and since it is summer vacation, I wouldn't be able to go anyway. I'm thinking now, that maybe I should go over to the Vape shops in Greece's FB pages and mention it. Maybe some of them have heard kids say that. Also, P Busardo lives in Greece, a couple of streets away from the kids. Maybe I can do some good after all!

• Like Like x 4
  13. kathi17

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    Thank You!!! I am so far behind on so much lately because I haven't had time to visit ECF. I saved that to my desktop. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

They are teaching our kids to not question anything. Let's raise a whole new generation of sheeple.

How old are your grandkids? Are they old enough for you to show them studies that you have in your arsenal?

My 6 year old grandson just yesterday thought it was wrong that I had to go to the smoking area because, according to him, I have stopped smoking.

I love :wub: my grandkids. They see the struggle their parents have and they know how I no longer smell of smoke. Not to mention that I can play with them without having to say: Let me finish this cigarette first. ;)

• Like Like x 16
  15. Just Me

Just Me Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    What do the grandchildren's parents have to say about this?

I would be all over that school and that particular teacher with the latest test results, with my personal experience, followed by a piece of my mind. In a civil manner, of course, but firm and unwavering.

• Like Like x 8
  16. kathi17

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    That was the thing I thought about, but I just decided I will try to enlist the help of the vape shops there first, and and see what the area vapers think. Some of them must have kids in the same schools. If that doesn't get any results, I'll get in touch with the schools.

• Like Like x 3
  17. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    • Like Like x 7
  18. kathi17

Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    That's exactly how my grandchildren were before this happened. They were so glad I quit smoking and started vaping.

The kids are 7, 10, and 12. I was thinking that the best thing to show them first is the poster above. It's simple and explains everything so even a preteen can understand it.

Luckily, my son knows exactly what is going on with the anti vaping movement, so he can help debunk things. He manages a business and lets his workers vape out back. Two of his closest friends and co-workers are now making e-liquid that is selling well in the Rochester area.

• Like Like x 4
  19. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    OK... But be sure to CC your letter to the regional School Board if you write one.

I worded in Education as an Instructor for a Long Time. And saw how Many correspondences were kept "Internal" only to receive quasi Canned Replies.

But Nothing, and I repeat, Nothing gets an Administrator to sit up straight in His/Her chair like a Letter that has been CC-ed to His/Her governing body.

Especially at the K-6 Level.

• Like Like x 12
  20. Just Me

Just Me Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    I seriously doubt the educator(s) will pay any attention at all to the advice of the vape shops, considering they are in the business of selling the products.

Arm yourself with the current facts and go from there.

• Like Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.