Status
Not open for further replies.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
If schools taught kids "how" to think that would be great.
But instead, they are teaching them WHAT to think.

Definitely a product of State Standards & Testing which were developed by politicians not in the field educators.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
:facepalm:

the-benefits-of-ecigarettes-according-to-public-health-england.png
That is wrong, that 5% harm was thrown in only for the unknown factors, currently there is no legit study that shows vaping is harmful.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    But even schools teaching them how to think is kinda screwed up. Core mathematics comes to my mind.. I'm starting to derail this train though..

Reactions: Von Vape

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    My niece(8+) and nephew(11+) are too young to "reach" in a discussion UNLESS you've been appointed a status or position above the children. Let me give you an example.

I've studied more than 10 martial arts. Some of them absolutely grueling and tortuous. My niece goes to a McDojo where she does little to nothing and is one belt away from a black belt. I've watched her hop, skip, jump like a frog...do everything but martial arts in the class. I've tried on more than one ocassion to talk to her abt martial arts to show her a few things but she has a mind like a butterfly, and because I've not worn a McDojo outfit...she thinks that "You're trying to be cool... by trying to show me things, and, you're NOT cool." Those were her words. OK, she's 8+, I get it. Leave her alone and in another 8yrs maybe I'll be alive and can show her some things if she is still with it.

What I am trying to get at is, if your grandkids only see you once a month or less, it may be worth your while to just avoid the conversation and not vape around them. Their brains may be just a tad larger than a fruit fly and all you are doing is aggravating yourself.

Now as far as the schools go? Ahhh... good luck with that too.
    Maybe she's just having fun with her age group that she relates as fun with her age group.

I think you're seriously selling the kiddos short.

Either way. I'd rather see the nutritional information their spoon fed debunked and your average school lunch abolished.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    But even schools teaching them how to think is kinda screwed up. Core mathematics comes to my mind.. I'm starting to derail this train though..
    "How"... as in granting them the ability

Not "How"... as in granting them a predetermined position in a matter.

Tapatyped

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    @ zoiDman and @ DC2 , that is exactly the problem. I think we need to figure out how to get the government/schools to address the problems of smoking, and the reason we vape, in the same way as what we teach our kids/grandchildren why we vape.

I would start by Writing a Letter the School's Principle and to the School Board.

Reactions: Von Vape

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I would start by Writing a Letter the School's Principle and to the School Board.

ETA: If you write a School that uses Public Funding to teach students, and ask them for Information on Exactly what they are Teaching those students for a given subject, they would be Very Hard Pressed to not provide you with a Syllabus and or Course Outline on the Subject Matter.

Last edited:

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
    Mar 17, 2016
    But given this Particular situation, couldn't the Level of Confusion have been Minimized, or in many cases Not Caused, if the Teacher had just Explained what e-Cigarettes are for the Vast Majority of people who use them? And that is Harm Reduction over Smoking.
    That's the problem with the material itself. The teachers are being fed supposed facts like, "75% of vapers who are trying to quit smoking cigarettes STILL SMOKE CIGARETTS." or "The e liquid contains nicotine (a highly addictive drug!) and some e liquids have even been found to contain formaldhyde, a known cause of CANCER."
    Throw in the A.D.D> world we seem to be living in now and the teachers themselves don't take the time to THINK for themselves or RESEARCH for themselves, they just "go with it". It's all so easy peasy that way.

You, Sir are exactly correct. BRAVO!

I'm just throwing this out there, should "we" be writing to Scholastic and setting them straight on the TRUE FACTS? If kathi17's figures of their material being in 90% of the school districts is anywhere close to correct (and I suspect they are) that's an awful lot of young, impressionable minds they are teaching WHAT to think.

My :2c:,
    :cool: Von Vape :cool:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    That's the problem with the material itself. The teachers are being fed supposed facts like, "75% of vapers who are trying to quit smoking cigarettes STILL SMOKE CIGARETTS." or "The e liquid contains nicotine (a highly addictive drug!) and some e liquids have even been found to contain formaldhyde, a known cause of CANCER."
    Throw in the A.D.D> world we seem to be living in now and the teachers themselves don't take the time to THINK for themselves or RESEARCH for themselves, they just "go with it". It's all so easy peasy that way.

I would Like to See what Material was Actually given to the Instructor. Because I do Not Know how much Information this Particular Instructor was given?

I Don't like Blanket Statements about what Teachers are Doing. Because, believe it or not, there is a Vast Spectrum of Teachers who work in Education.

Some are Very Good at their craft. Some are Not. And some are willing to present Information sight unseen as long as it Fits into a Personal Belief. And some are Not Willing to do this.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
    Mar 17, 2016
    Some are Very Good at their craft. Some are Not. And some are willing to present Information sight unseen as long as it Fits into a Personal Belief. And some are Not Willing to do this.
    That is very true. In this instance however, I was referring to the latter. My apologies for seeming to make a blanket statement. It's been my experience that "we" are drifting more and more toward do everything we can, the easiest way we can and the ethics you spoke of are disappearing. Too many texts to send, too many tweets to share and not enough hours in the day. Sad but true.......
    I can't be sure, you'll have to check this with kathi17 but I believe the Scholastic curriculum she posted is the material in question. It is also the material I quoted from. Hope this helps. ;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    That is very true. In this instance however, I was referring to the latter. My apologies for seeming to make a blanket statement. It's been my experience that "we" are drifting more and more toward do everything we can, the easiest way we can and the ethics you spoke of are disappearing. Too many texts to send, too many tweets to share and not enough hours in the day. Sad but true.......
    I can't be sure, you'll have to check this with kathi17 but I believe the Scholastic curriculum she posted is the material in question. It is also the material I quoted from. Hope this helps. ;)

Just an Opinion on My Part.

But I believe, on average, there has been a Subtle Swing of more Instructors who use their Position as a Platform to Express their Personal Views. Be it Political. Or Social. Or Health Issues. I think to some degree, on average, the same thing can be said about Administrators/School Boards.

Like I said, this is just my Personal Opinion. And is Not Reflective of any Individual Instructor/Administrator/School Board.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
    Mar 4, 2010
    Unfortunately, I don't know very many people these days who really think or question anything at all. Just listen to the news or your doctor or your teacher and do what they say; that's the norm. They just kinda get by day to day, and it works for them.

I'm being really abrupt here, because I don't really want to get started. lol I've learned I can't fix it.

kathi17

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA

You, Sir are exactly correct. BRAVO!

I'm just throwing this out there, should "we" be writing to Scholastic and setting them straight on the TRUE FACTS? If kathi17's figures of their material being in 90% of the school districts is anywhere close to correct (and I suspect they are) that's an awful lot of young, impressionable minds they are teaching WHAT to think.

My :2c:,

After I wrote that this morning, I decided that I will probably email Scholastic, and tell them my vaping story, and how disappointed I am that a company I respected so much is recommending teaching kids this way. I will include links to PHE and The Royal College of Physicians. I will also tell them that I am very upset that my grandchildren now think that smoking is better than using vaping as a way to quit smoking, and that their materials helped to teach them this.

I will also tell them about how my lung capacity was that of an 80 year old woman in my 40's, and now that I am 63, my lung capacity is that of a woman in her 40's, and that my pulmonologist applauds my use of vaping as a way to quit smoking.

Yes, I will still also get in touch with vapers in Rochester, and with the school.

While the kids are here, I go up to spend time with them before work in the morning, and spend time with them after work in the evening, so I probably won't do anything until next week when they have gone home and I have more time.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
    Mar 17, 2016
    I just stumbled on this video. He explains the absurdity of the FDA deeming regulations better than I've ever seen before. I have a glimmer of hope that something can be done to stop this from happening. He points out the obvious overreach of the FDA and the fact that they are blatantly going against the intentions of the Tobacco Control Act.

I will be more than happy to join you and this video may help as well. At approx. 17:30 there is a quote from a report commissioned by the FDA, by the NHA that outlines the BENIFITS of vaping. A report the FDA chose to ignore, only weeks before the DD.

Vapers Unite!

Reactions: Rossum

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    It's been my experience that "we" are drifting more and more toward do everything we can, the easiest way we can

I have a personal gripe about this one.

I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S. methodology.

HOWEVER! Seems so many are so hell bent on everything being so easy, they're not willing to do the work to MAKE it easy.

I see people working their tails off performing the simplest tasks all the time. Because "it's too much work" to put forth the effort once to learn to make that task simpler for the rest of their lives.

Took me years to teach the wife how to properly scrub and mop a floor without spending hours on her hands and knees, for example.

Now she gets the floors done in minutes. They come out just as good. Best part? She's no longer scrubbing the finish off the floors.

This complacency of ignorance seems to be sweeping through society like a bad rash.

There's a guy I listen to on satellite radio, Kevin Rutherford. He attacks it with a short phrase from the other end of the spectrum... "Do the hard work".

It applies the same way, though.

Tapatyped

Reactions: Woofer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread