SCORE! Protege + Protected Batts

Status
Not open for further replies.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
I ordered some protected 3.6v (which i hope i don't notice the difference from 3.7 to 3.6 - stock batteries are 3.7) batteries from :

Protected UltraFire 14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery 900 mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

I ordered 4 and they all fit Perfectly... slide in and out fine, but the end-cap goes on *Tight* though (almost full compression on the spring)... a shorter spring will fix that though... just have to find one... maybe after a while the spring will break in - before the threads in the tube fail from the extra pressure hopefully haha.

I will take a picture later today of the difference in length.

Last edited:

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
hehe dont get me started on those threads :p jk jk (you probably read my comment on another post about them already---which i dont need to do now because the batteries fit) i thought i read a bunch of people had issues with them fitting? (i think it was the diameter of the battery though...)

i've PM'd both of you now with no reply about the M401 adapter... and a heads up on 901/510 adapters :mad: <---lol not really

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I ordered some protected 3.6v (which i hope i don't notice the difference from 3.7 to 3.6 - stock batteries are 3.7) batteries from :

moz-screenshot.jpg
Protected UltraFire 14500 AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery 900 mAh CR14500 Lithium Ion

I ordered 4 and they all fit Perfectly... slide in and out fine, but the end-cap goes on *Tight* though (almost full compression on the spring)... a shorter spring will fix that though... just have to find one... maybe after a while the spring will break in - before the threads in the tube fail from the extra pressure hopefully haha.

I will take a picture later today of the difference in length.

That's not news man. I've been using them in my protege since day 1. No problems at all, I have both Trustfire and Ultrafire batteries. The Ultrafire are slightly bigger and fit kind of snug in the tube.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
The ones that they sell are the same ones that come with the protege. No, they aren't protected. I use the protected batts because I already had 12 batteries and 2 chargers.

With the protege I don't think that the protection is as much an issue. I have yet to run a 14500 down to cut-off simply becasue the vapor performance down close to the cut-off voltage is so poor that I usually change them out before the cut-off. I noticed the same issue with the Li-Ions in my prodigy. The vapor performance dropoff is so noticable that I have yet to run the batts down to the cut-off point.

Kevin

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
not to change the subject steve have you recived my protege yet have not had any responce from the email i sent last week thanks return order#19369 thanks lots lawnman3 scott

instead of randomly leaving comments on a forum, did you try emailing them from the website?

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
The ones that they sell are the same ones that come with the protege. No, they aren't protected. I use the protected batts because I already had 12 batteries and 2 chargers.

With the protege I don't think that the protection is as much an issue. I have yet to run a 14500 down to cut-off simply becasue the vapor performance down close to the cut-off voltage is so poor that I usually change them out before the cut-off. I noticed the same issue with the Li-Ions in my prodigy. The vapor performance dropoff is so noticable that I have yet to run the batts down to the cut-off point.

Kevin

What is the safe area for these batteries (14500) before you run them down too far? Twice now i ran the batteries down so far it was dead and reading 2 something on the mult. I fear i've let them drain too far to where its going to be dangerous to charge them.

P.S. Sucks.. i wish i would of known that i could of bought protected batts from that site as i just placed an order yesterday and its already shipped :(

Last edited:

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
What is the safe area for these batteries (14500) before you run them down too far? Twice now i ran the batteries down so far it was dead and reading 2 something on the mult. I fear i've let them drain too far to where its going to be dangerous to charge them.

P.S. Sucks.. i wish i would of known that i could of bought protected batts from that site as i just placed an order yesterday and its already shipped :(

:rolleyes: at least i'm not the only person that did not know this would work. and i was going off of information given to me by someone else.

Sorry about that... but i'm betting they'll let you send them back and get the others.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
No i ordered batts for my new SilverBullet coming in the mail soon. Want to try some high voltage vapin but dont want to wait for a prodigy 2. If i would of known about the protected batts for the Protege, i would of snagged them up as well.

Figured the SB would be my home vape and the Protege would be the one on the go since its smaller.

Hell, your not as bad as me.. I thought a protected batt meant that it was sealed and protected from juice as theres no opening.. lol. Just found out the true meaning yesterday :)

Last edited:

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC

Hm...what kind of 14500s do you have? The PS Tenergys are supposed to cut-off at 2.75v.

Also, what kind of "danger" are you worried about with recharging them?

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
I have the PS ones.. I've read that they could over heat and blow up (if i discharge them too low) durring the next charge.

You've read a bit of nonsense. If you over discharge a battery that doesn't have a cut-off (which the Tenergy people say it does) then it is ruined and just won't take a charge anymore. It won't just blow up! You'd have a hell of a lot of lawsuits if that was all it took to make what is essentially a flashlight battery explode.

"Oops, forgot and left my flashlight on, drained the battery, and then when I recharged it the thing exploded!" Um...no.

If you're really worried, put it on the charger when you're around and touch the battery every now and again to see if it actually gets very warm, much less hot enough to explode. It won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread