Not open for further replies.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
David Sedaris: On Quitting Smoking (Video, The Daily Show)

David Sedaris: On Smoking and Letting Go (article, The New Yorker)

When I was in fourth grade, my class took a field trip to the American tobacco plant in nearby Durham, North Carolina. There we witnessed the making of cigarettes and were given free packs to take home to our parents. I tell people this and they ask me how old I am, thinking, I guess, that I went to the world’s first elementary school, one where we wrote on cave walls and hunted our lunch with clubs......

VP2008

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Richmond, VA
When I was in fourth grade, my class took a field trip to the American tobacco plant in nearby Durham, North Carolina. There we witnessed the making of cigarettes and were given free packs to take home to our parents. I tell people this and they ask me how old I am, thinking, I guess, that I went to the world’s first elementary school, one where we wrote on cave walls and hunted our lunch with clubs......

In the 70's and 80's, I taught kindergarten in public schools and one of our field trips was a tour of the Philip Morris plant in Richmond (most of my students' parents worked there). It was one cool tour, let me tell you. I was glad my own kids were able to go on the tour before PM closed down tours. My kids were in 5th grade when they went on the tour of the cigarette manufacturing company.

I've also been on tours of major nuclear power plants. Of course, you can't do that anymore either.

~VP~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread