Sell me on a Genny style Atty..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
I have been doing my homework on the genesis style atty's but man, I can't get past the fact that they leak if not sitting upright. If I am wrong on that notion, then please let me know.

I know a lot of guys love their RSST's, AGA T2s etc, so i'd like to hear why you like them so much? Some people complain about having to take the caps off of a drip atty and take the time to drip, but at least I can toss it in my pocket after a few drags and not have to worry about a juice flood in my shorts.

From my homework here are the Pro's/Con's of a drip:

Pros: Ultimate flavor and vape production, not restricted to one flavor for long periods of time, fun to rebuild and be able to go sub ohm without any issues.

Cons: Somewhat inconvenience to have to drip, have to rebuild your atty more frequently (which at this point for me is a bonus, but I am sure it will get old eventually)...not sure I can think of any other cons.

I'd like to hear your guys pros/cons with the Genny style atty's. I'd also like to hear what Genny atty is your favorite and why.

Thanks fellas and happy vaping!

JackSparrow

Jun 30, 2013
United States
I have several genny style atomizers, they all pretty much work the same. The RSST is a great all around device, great for beginners and pros alike.

Dripping is annoying when out and about, as are genesis style attys.

I HIGHLY recommend a Kayfun. Super easy to build, tastes better than some of my drippers, doesn't leak, wicks perfect, and holds about 5 mils of juice. It's pricey, but after having tried hundreds of devices, it's the only one that satisfies all the time and especially on the go.

My drippers and gennies only see use at home now. It has almost made them completely useless.

Just some thoughts, happy vaping!

Sent via NSA Spy Satellite...

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
I have several genny style atomizers, they all pretty much work the same. The RSST is a great all around device, great for beginners and pros alike.

I HIGHLY recommend a Kayfun. Super easy to build, tastes better than some of my drippers, doesn't leak, wicks perfect, and holds about 5 mils of juice. It's pricey, but after having tried hundreds of devices, it's the only one that satisfies all the time and especially on the go.

My drippers and gennies only see use at home now. It has almost made them completely useless.

SO that's what all the hype about the Kayfun is all about? No leaking? If so, I will definitely invest, I don't have a problem spending cash for quality stuff.

Is there a big difference between the KayFun and KayFun Lite? Thank you for your input my brotha!

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
While I use my EVODs when out and about, my RSST and IGO-L are my goto devices in the home.
I love the genesis style for the flavor mainly. Its the most pure flavor this side of a dripper. Drippers just dont have capacity unless you spend a bunch on a REO.
I haven't had any problem with my RSST leaking and I lay it on its side regularly. Just make sure your fill plug is in and the wick is just a hair smaller than the wick hole. No leaking, but awesome flavor and vapor.
The RSST has a couple great selling points as well. 1) insulated wick hole, so hotspots are easier to work out. 2) Spring wire catch on positive post, easy to pin the wire in there, plus this allows you to adjust the length of your top leg. Additionally, this screw adjusts the depth of the positive pin to ensure good contact with the battery. 3) screws instead of thumb nuts. 4) Can use multiple coil configs. I've got a dual 3/2 wrap of 32ga, wrapped like a barbers pole, which creates a dual coil at .9 ohms. Twisted 32ga works great too. 5) single piece reservoir, no wick shorting.
Rumor has it the RSST2 will have a glass tank and they'll be releasing glass replacement tanks for the RSST1.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Nice! Yea, the RSST is appealing, especially at the price it is.

Honestly man, I simply cannot use my ProTank when out and about or otherwise. Now that I drip, I feel like my SVD/ProTank are broke by the lack of taste and vapor lol. The only use my SVD gets is to double check resistance or to check battery levels. Thats. It.

fasteddie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
uk

What he said!

I totally agree, I have been through a stack of attys of all varieties and nothing comes close to the kayfun. It is so well engineered it makes me smile every time I take it apart. I know some people aren't a fan of the fill valve but I find it brilliant once you know how to use it and adjustable air flow take it to the next level. Totally pocket friendly mines never leaked even left for ages upside down on side etc etc. the flavour and hit are intense to the extent I have to dilute my liquids down on both nicotine and flavouring otherwise it's a bit much.

I have sold my Aga due to lack of use since the kayfun arrived.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Genesis attys are also very fiddly...not good on the go. When they work right, man do they work, but they're finicky some times, and usually at the worst possible time.

Exact opposite experience here. Gennies are my atties of choice due to their lack of fiddlyness and need for regular rebuilding. Once they're built, they're built and keeps on fuming for weeks if not months.

Some leaking and size (of the ones I've got) is the main drawback, imo.

Been wanting to try a Kayfun, but I've decided not to vape on anything made of plastic. There's the metal replacement, but then there's no telling how much liquid's in there. Please prove me wrong, as I'd love a reason to get one.

Just my :2c:

JackSparrow

Jun 30, 2013
United States
SO that's what all the hype about the Kayfun is all about? No leaking? If so, I will definitely invest, I don't have a problem spending cash for quality stuff.

Is there a big difference between the KayFun and KayFun Lite? Thank you for your input my brotha!

The hype is not only that they don't leak, the taste is amazing and they're so efficient in design that I have had to go down from my usual 12mg nic to 6.

I have the kayfun lite, although I have tried a full 3.1. The only difference is the fill port on the lite is on the bottom, which I personally prefer, and the lack of air flow adjustment on the lite, which hasn't been an issue as I personally find the draw on the lite to be perfect!

It will not disappoint!

Happy vaping!

P.s. vaperev.com has the kayfun's in stock. My lite was 115usd shipped.

JackSparrow

Jun 30, 2013
United States
Exact opposite experience here. Gennies are my atties of choice due to their lack of fiddlyness and need for regular rebuilding. Once they're built, they're built and keeps on fuming for weeks if not months.

Some leaking and size (of the ones I've got) is the main drawback, imo.

Been wanting to try a Kayfun, but I've decided not to vape on anything made of plastic. There's the metal replacement, but then there's no telling how much liquid's in there. Please prove me wrong, as I'd love a reason to get one.

Just my :2c:

With the metal sleeve there is no plastic. You can tell when you're out of juice when the hits get dry. I don't know why you want to look at your juice.. but I understand what you mean. Honestly if you let that one small point keep you from an amazing vape and device, well, it's not for everyone I guess..

Also I can't say with certainty, but I vaguely recall seeing someone on YouTube who had a glass tank on theirs. I could very well be wrong though..

aznzing03

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2013
Minneapolis
I have been using my RSST for well, today is day two, and I'm an active-ish kind of person.
Ran a bunch of errands yesterday with it, was worried about it leaking so most of the time it was upright in my car cup holder. Out of habit with my Protank set it down on its side, picked it up expecting to see a ton of juice and there was none. I don't even have the fill plug in.
Been off and on setting it on its side today to see if I can get it to leak and well, nothing.
I enjoy it and it's a huge surprise which is bad because I'll probably purchase 57 more. :p

Aside from all that jazz, I do enjoy the flavor, the fact that I don't have to drip, and it was extremely easy to clean and change coil.

(P.S. I am a newbie when it comes to RBA's in general so I thought I'd go with something that most people are recommending and so far it's fantastic! However it is a juice ..... and I've been through more than a days worth already today! Whoops! Gotta love it!) !!!!!More!!!!Explanation!!!!!Points!!!!!!

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
its possible to set up your genny so it doesnt leak. you just need a lot of mesh, more than youd normally think possible. for an AGA-t2, its 3 inches of mesh (or more if you can fit it) you need to roll up as tight as you possibly can. it will fit in the hole if done properly. this not only stops leaks, but it holds more juice in the dense wick so your hits are as flavorful as ever and you dont even need to "genny tilt" your device. i have my agt and my dud outfitted with dense wicks that dont leak. i tipped over my pv while sleeping one night and i awoke to find absolutley zero liquid had been spilled.

here are some other measurements for a dense, no leak wick that was posted on ECF a while back.
they are all for #500 mesh, if that matters:

for a 1/8" hole (3.18mm): 93.3mm mesh
3mm hole: 88.2mm
7/64" (2.78mm): 81.6mm
2.5mm hole: 73.5mm
3/32": 70.0mm
2.0mm (5/64") : 58.5mm
1/16" (1.59mm) 50.0mm
1.5mm: 44.0mm

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
besides not having to drip, the intense flavor from mesh and adjustable TH is what i like most. oh, and the fact that you basically never have to rebuild. ive had the same wick and coil in one of my gennies since last november, vaping on it fairly regularly (1ml a day perhaps) with a fairly dark and sweet juice (NLV Gold). all ive done is dry burn occasionally. this thing is a tank (pun not intended/intended :D )

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
With the metal sleeve there is no plastic. You can tell when you're out of juice when the hits get dry. I don't know why you want to look at your juice.. but I understand what you mean. Honestly if you let that one small point keep you from an amazing vape and device, well, it's not for everyone I guess..

Also I can't say with certainty, but I vaguely recall seeing someone on YouTube who had a glass tank on theirs. I could very well be wrong though..

i hear you on the not needing to look at your juice. you dont need to see it to know its there. its nice to know your level of juice, but not totally necessary. however, ive been caught with my pants down a few times with my metal tank genny. it looks great on my pv, but without the visual juice level reminder, ive often grabbed the pv and left the house only to get blasted with dry hits half an hour later. its easy to expect your tank to be full when you cant see the liquid level.

Thing is, I already have an amazing vape with my gennies, so I don't want to make any compromises if I am to spend money on something out of want rather than need. I do want something new tho... but that's just the usual consumerist cravings. I'll get back on the fence now ;)

Sorry for the derailment.

totally with you on that. i think my gennies are the best vape ever. but thats not stopping me from investigating the kayfuns and kayfun clones of the world. not one bit lol. okay, maybe ONE bit. but thats it! vaping is an ever-changing journey.

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
I have been using my RSST for well, today is day two, and I'm an active-ish kind of person.
Ran a bunch of errands yesterday with it, was worried about it leaking so most of the time it was upright in my car cup holder. Out of habit with my Protank set it down on its side, picked it up expecting to see a ton of juice and there was none. I don't even have the fill plug in.
Been off and on setting it on its side today to see if I can get it to leak and well, nothing.
I enjoy it and it's a huge surprise which is bad because I'll probably purchase 57 more. :p

Aside from all that jazz, I do enjoy the flavor, the fact that I don't have to drip, and it was extremely easy to clean and change coil.

(P.S. I am a newbie when it comes to RBA's in general so I thought I'd go with something that most people are recommending and so far it's fantastic! However it is a juice ..... and I've been through more than a days worth already today! Whoops! Gotta love it!) !!!!!More!!!!Explanation!!!!!Points!!!!!!

its possible to set up your genny so it doesnt leak. you just need a lot of mesh, more than youd normally think possible. for an AGA-t2, its 3 inches of mesh (or more if you can fit it) you need to roll up as tight as you possibly can. it will fit in the hole if done properly. this not only stops leaks, but it holds more juice in the dense wick so your hits are as flavorful as ever and you dont even need to "genny tilt" your device. i have my agt and my dud outfitted with dense wicks that dont leak. i tipped over my pv while sleeping one night and i awoke to find absolutley zero liquid had been spilled.

here are some other measurements for a dense, no leak wick that was posted on ECF a while back.
they are all for #500 mesh, if that matters:

for a 1/8" hole (3.18mm): 93.3mm mesh
3mm hole: 88.2mm
7/64" (2.78mm): 81.6mm
2.5mm hole: 73.5mm
3/32": 70.0mm
2.0mm (5/64") : 58.5mm
1/16" (1.59mm) 50.0mm
1.5mm: 44.0mm

What they said. My wife and I have been vaping RSSTs for a couple months now. I was never going to try gennys because of what I heard about leaks. But, with a good solid wick, or even a cotton wick, the only leaking is wetness inside the cap. Just have to wipe it out when you refill, etc... My wife is even bedridden often and they work fine for her. I lay mine down all the time. You want to try and keep them up, but you don't have to. Maybe 2-3 times since we've had them, the had enough in there, and it was tilted just the right way, where it leaked out the air hold.

Go for it man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread