Semovar Head Scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyoneshot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
NYC
Hey ECFers, hoping someone can help me figure this out or make a little more sense about it.

My Semovar will display an E5 error on my screen when firing an atty, it's not disruptive as I still can use it but I can see it saying E5 when I look down at it, it's not every vape or every 1 in X vapes, it seems almost at random. I have it running a 1.4ohm micro coil at 3.8V in a Russian 91% but I've used other attys, ohms, and voltages and it seems to come up no mater what. I've tried button top, flat top, IMR and Protected Li-Ion batteries and it will still come up. The only thing I've noticed is that I think the error only comes up when the battery voltage drops to below 4.0. I don't think it's happened on a fresh battery but after a few hours and the voltage drops the error comes up. The Semo totally cuts out around 3.7V or will display 2 dashes on the screen. I've gotten E2 and E3 error by going over the limits of the device, quick adjustment and its gone, but the E5 is something that remains.

Here is the E5 error out the SvoeMesto Manual - it is impossible to hold the output voltage / wattage anyhow the battery voltage isn't high enough.

That description doesn't make sense to me because the device still fires, so how is it impossible? Remember my setting is 3.8V and the device cuts out at 3.7V entirely, so how at any point the battery voltage too low?

Lastly, people like to have the Semovar vs. Provari discussion so let me say this as an owner of both. I prefer the vape on my Semovar a little more than the Provari but I like the button/menu on the Provari a lot more, so all in all if you own either you're doing great and shouldn't nit pick because you're holding something awesome.

Thanks in advance to any participators!

Paul.K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
California
This happens to me on occasion but I just pop in another battery and all is well. Just for comparison what battery are you using? I use Panasonic NCR18650PD exclusively. One thing to note is that when I am more vigilant in cleaning (all threads and contacts including spring) I never have this problem.

ETA: I also own both Semovar and Provari. :vapor:

Chago

Sep 5, 2013
United States
The only explanation that I can think of is that when you're reading battery volts (at 4.0v) it is while the battery at rest. When you load the circuit by firing the atty the battery voltage will drop while firing. The semo sees this voltage drop and pops the error code.

I don't have a semo, but I've seen the same thing happen when testing electric motor/ESC combinations on my RC gear. A fully charged lipo battery pack would drop from 12.4v down to about 11.3v while doing short bursts at full throttle. As soon as I let off, the battery would recover back to about 4.18v

I know this doesn't solve the problem you're having but it sounds very much like what I've seen in my 'other' hobby.

mikeyoneshot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
NYC
This happens to me on occasion but I just pop in another battery and all is well. Just for comparison what battery are you using? I use Panasonic NCR18650PD exclusively. One thing to note is that when I am more vigilant in cleaning (all threads and contacts including spring) I never have this problem.

ETA: I also own both Semovar and Provari. :vapor:

Interesting, what is your cleaning method? As for batteries I use the same NCR18650PD, AW IMR18650 2000mah in the Semo. For testing purposes I threw in an EH IMR 18650 just now and I have used an NCR18650B but don't recall if I had the problem or not. I have an EH 30Amp coming my way that I will also try in it, that's just a re-branded Sony 30Amp you hear so much about.

The only explanation that I can think of is that when you're reading battery volts (at 4.0v) it is while the battery at rest. When you load the circuit by firing the atty the battery voltage will drop while firing. The semo sees this voltage drop and pops the error code.

I don't have a semo, but I've seen the same thing happen when testing electric motor/ESC combinations on my RC gear. A fully charged lipo battery pack would drop from 12.4v down to about 11.3v while doing short bursts at full throttle. As soon as I let off, the battery would recover back to about 4.18v

I know this doesn't solve the problem you're having but it sounds very much like what I've seen in my 'other' hobby.

I would love to learn more about this, I don't know enough about voltage drop to say much except for I considered that to be more of a mech mod thing as those guys are always mentioning it and to my understanding it was that the atty gets less voltage than the battery because the current has to travel through contacts and it is 'lost' in that transfer so mech mods with silver contacts hit harder because there is less voltage drop.

Last night, I watched this video and he is saying different batteries have different voltage drops as well, which was new to me. However, it was to my understanding that APVs fought voltage drop with their boost circuitry so if you set it to 4.0 you got 4.0 same if you go up or down. I haven't considered that in an APV even though its set to say 4.2 and your atty is getting 4.2 that your battery which lets say is also 4.2 would drop since it is under load.

The only problem I have with this is that say my battery is at 3.8 and I'm firing at 3.8 but under load the battery drops to 3.6 then shouldn't my Semo not fire since it cuts out at 3.7? Or, is that when the battery is at 3.7 and I have the device set at 3.8 the battery drops to something like 3.5 which is actually where the Semo doesn't fire.

Head scratching continues....

Paul.K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
California
Interesting, what is your cleaning method? As for batteries I use the same NCR18650PD, AW IMR18650 2000mah in the Semo. For testing purposes I threw in an EH IMR 18650 just now and I have used an NCR18650B but don't recall if I had the problem or not. I have an EH 30Amp coming my way that I will also try in it, that's just a re-branded Sony 30Amp you hear so much about.

My cleaning method is to disassemble the bottom cap, tube, top delrin connector. I clean all threads and contact points with alcohol (91% seems sufficient but would prefer 99%) using q-tips. Under the bottom cap you will find the negative cap (brass I believe) and the spring. I can see that area getting pretty dirty. Under the delrin top cap make sure to clean the positive post that goes into the circuit board. Before assembling I apply a thin coat of Noalox on all threads. I use to do this on a weekly basis but lately slacking and I'm going 2-3 weeks between cleanings. I'm thinking that when it gets dirty it's not allowing good enough conduction needed as current demands will go up as battery voltage drops. I don't think it's an issue with the device.

mikeyoneshot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
NYC
Thanks for that, just checked and mine is clean, a little bit of stuff but nothing I would consider needing a cleaning. I don't have any 91% alcohol lying around to use but I do have some moonshine which I use to clean my drip tips haha. I'll pick some up for the future though.

Anyone else looking at this thread that has some input, join in, all Semovar owners would appreciate it.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
As I understand that error, it means your battery voltage is dropping to a level that cannot sustain the wattage selected.

On the semovar, In offline mode go to the battery selection, you'll see the unloaded voltage (4.2 as an example) quickly while it's displaying that voltage press the fire button again and it will show your voltage WITH load (3.7 as an example)

If your wattage is to high based on the resistance of your atomizer you'll get the E5 error.

Lowering the wattage/voltage or replacing with a fresh charge cell should solve the error...or you could need better batteries with lower internal resistance, like the Sony vtc4 ....

I'm no expert, but that's what I understand. Your YMMV

I'm just learning about batteries internal resistance with higher drain mods... the sag in voltage while under load is what causes that.

I have a Futura DNA20, and when it shows some of my batteries drained, they still have 30% remaining according to my nitecore i4 charger. And certain batteries will show empty at 15 watts, then if I lower to 10 watts I regain battery in the meter...

I hope my post makes sense...I'm a little nuts so I don't always make sense to others...LOL

Good luck

Last edited:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Quick plug for my signature banner I made for the semovar :D

Ee3NCl0.jpg

mikeyoneshot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
NYC
As I understand that error, it means your battery voltage is dropping to a level that cannot sustain the wattage selected.

On the semovar, In offline mode go to the battery selection, you'll see the unloaded voltage (4.2 as an example) quickly while it's displaying that voltage press the fire button again and it will show your voltage WITH load (3.7 as an example)

If your wattage is to high based on the resistance of your atomizer you'll get the E5 error.

Lowering the wattage/voltage or replacing with a fresh charge cell should solve the error...or you could need better batteries with lower internal resistance, like the Sony vtc4 ....

I'm no expert, but that's what I understand. Your YMMV

I'm just learning about batteries internal resistance with higher drain mods... the sag in voltage while under load is what causes that.

I have a Futura DNA20, and when it shows some of my batteries drained, they still have 30% remaining according to my nitecore i4 charger. And certain batteries will show empty at 15 watts, then if I lower to 10 watts I regain battery in the meter...

I hope my post makes sense...I'm a little nuts so I don't always make sense to others...LOL

Good luck

That's some awesome info, these things need higher limits

Quick plug for my signature banner I made for the semovar :D

Ee3NCl0.jpg

Awesome signature!

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I have two Semovars and a hand full of Provaris. I also prefer the Semovar using the hybrid adapter and a Kayfun. They are both great Mods.

Anyway, I have nothing to add to help you. Ive not seen the E-5 error. I do use mine in Volts exclusivley. I do keep the threading asnd contacts clean as I found this very important from old posts by Paul and Thrasher.

I use a bunch of diff batteries from AW to Efest to Pannys....and all three sizes, button tops and flat tops.

One side note..... when the Semo says the battery is dead, just disconect the battery and re insert it and it will go quite a while longer. Its my "reserve tank"....

Now that I think about it, how can you see that error code while you vape ? I can't see it. I guess it stops working and shows the error?

Maybe you could email Cloud 9 vaping in the UK and ask, They are very nice folks and usually answer emails fairly quickly.

Last edited:

mikeyoneshot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
NYC
I have two Semovars and a hand full of Provaris. I also prefer the Semovar using the hybrid adapter and a Kayfun. They are both great Mods.

Anyway, I have nothing to add to help you. Ive not seen the E-5 error. I do use mine in Volts exclusivley. I do keep the threading asnd contacts clean as I found this very important from old posts by Paul and Thrasher.

I use a bunch of diff batteries from AW to Efest to Pannys....and all three sizes, button tops and flat tops.

One side note..... when the Semo says the battery is dead, just disconect the battery and re insert it and it will go quite a while longer. Its my "reserve tank"....

Now that I think about it, how can you see that error code while you vape ? I can't see it. I guess it stops working and shows the error?

Maybe you could email Cloud 9 vaping in the UK and ask, They are very nice folks and usually answer emails fairly quickly.

I use it in volts mode as well. I don't use the hybrid adapter since I use a russian 91% the finish matches perfectly. My contacts look nice and clean but I guess I will give cleaning them a shot in a week or two, I gave the device a cleaning when I got it.

What is your ohms / volts setting?

I don't know if I look down when I vape I see the '5' and then i tilt it and see it says 'E5' I just noticed it one day and then paid attention to it from then on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread