Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Kids will always be able to get what you don't want them to get. Surely even that Senator remembers being a teenager.
Well, "teenager" is kind of a misnomer for them. I believe they emerge from their shells fully-grown, but they only get to come up and don their human suit after serving in the tunnels for a few decades. As for remembering that far back, I'm not sure what kind of long-term memory the lizard people have. The AG didn't even seem to recall events from only a few weeks prior. I'm not sure they even remember what they had for lunch yesterday.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Surely even that Senator remembers being a teenager.

npGU0fY.png

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I would like some smart reporter to ask these Senators what the exact immediate problem is? Are kids going to the hospital after Juuling? Are they getting in car accidents after Juuling? Are they going back to the classroom and falling asleep? Are they becoming violent with their fellow classmates or teachers? Or none of the above??? What exactly is the problem then?

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I would like some smart reporter to ask these Senators what the exact immediate problem is? Are kids going to the hospital after Juuling? Are they getting in car accidents after Juuling? Are they going back to the classroom and falling asleep? Are they becoming violent with their fellow classmates or teachers? Or none of the above??? What exactly is the problem then?

For Dick Durbin of Illinois..problem is not big enough revenue from tobacco sales....

According to the IDR’s Annual Report of Collections, total revenue from cigarette taxes and the tobacco products tax in Illinois peaked in 2015, as the state of Illinois collected $861 million, before falling to $844 million in fiscal year 2016.

In the four years following the tax hikes, the state of Illinois fell about $419 million short of projected additional revenue from cigarettes and tobacco.
Cook County and Chicago have highest per-pack tax in the country, totaling $6.16

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
For Dick Durbin of Illinois..problem is not big enough revenue from tobacco sales....

According to the IDR’s Annual Report of Collections, total revenue from cigarette taxes and the tobacco products tax in Illinois peaked in 2015, as the state of Illinois collected $861 million, before falling to $844 million in fiscal year 2016.

In the four years following the tax hikes, the state of Illinois fell about $419 million short of projected additional revenue from cigarettes and tobacco.
Cook County and Chicago have highest per-pack tax in the country, totaling $6.16

exactly. I heard this on the news today during lunch break as I was using my JUUL, and thought the same as you posted. How is it right that governments are legalizing certain substances and gaining tax revenues from it, but threatening bans for others to “save the children”. It’s really about the lost tobacco revenues.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Not only legalizing other substances but giving them very favorable tax treatment. No worries about the children with them. Always very positive press treatment as well.
He may think the taxes have gone to vaping, but I will bet the vast majority went to the smugglers trunk.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I love the hilarious headlines from the tobaccofreekids site:

Vaping now an epidemic among US High Schoolers - CNN
Schools and parents fight a Juul E-cigarette epidemic - WSJ
'I Can't Stop': Schools struggle with vaping explosion - NYT

You'd think that there was some sort of apocalyptic virus outbreak happening and children were indiscriminately being turned into vaping zombies. Oh, the horror.

Maybe I've been living under a rock recently, but I hadn't heard of juul before. I guess that the good news is that the kids are at least not smoking regular cigs. Some kids are going to want to experiment, that's what kids do. Better a vape than a smoke.

There is no need for any further regulation in my opinion, just don't sell to minors, and then there is no issue to worry about. I also believe that politicians and other ignoramuses should .... out and not dictate which flavors adults are allowed to like or not.

My reaction to the concern of these politicians is a big yawn.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
Also from their site:

It is still an open scientific question whether e- cigarettes might be able to help adult smokers give up cigarettes;

Those people are clearly a bunch of not too bright extremists, because I have conducted my own scientific experiments (as countless others around the world have also done), with me being the test subject, and I have clear scientific evidence that vaping does indeed work, because I haven't smoked a single cigarette (not a single one) since I first began vaping, which is many years ago.

My science and my own real world experience trumps their bogus claims and their "science", or whatever nonsense it is that they choose to believe in.

I don't need any scientific study to tell me that vaping is the best thing to ever come along for smokers looking to kick the habit.

The last thing that I need to do is to listen to the false claims and propaganda coming from a bunch of people with an agenda, an evil and corrupt agenda.

Last edited:

Aescwynn

Apr 18, 2018
Atlanta
Granted, this is totally anecdotal, but...

I've got a son in his early teens, who is up on all the things. He's a memer and all that and he shares with me the ones he thinks are the funniest. So how telling is it that I first heard of Juul from-- wait for it-- the New York Times? Then I asked him last night if he'd ever even heard of this apocalypse sweeping the nation's children and he assumed that I was talking about "jewels". So, I guess I always have to hand it to these politicians for their ability to create great theatre for their various lobbies. It's the press I have to wonder about. :(

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If enforcement of age limits is the biggest issue vaping faces it's a small matter to address. But it's just a way to place pressure on the FDA to kill off vaping. It's a first step that makes incremental limitations more palatable until you find nothing left on the market.

I am curious why it's all about Juul. What about flavors and wide availability of Blu and Vuse? Oh right, those are owned and sold by BT.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It's not directly related but over the past several days I watch the Facebook hearings and the three biggest things I learned (or confirmed)

* Our members of the Senate and Congress don't listen.
* They have been is the political system to long and no longer understand what occurs in the real world.
* And when they talk about their constituents they cherry pick the information they use to make a point. It is always one sided.

I'm not a facebook user, never have been but I understand how it works. It was explained to them dozens of times that there are millions of users and that 100% of the content cannot be reviewed, that they needed the assistance of the membership to report issues. They still blamed facebook for the illegal sale of drugs and ivory as well as other issues. I would be willing to bet that even on this forum 100% content review is damn near impossible.

Term limits would solve this problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread