Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I bought some of the Sense V-Jet kits. And I'm having an issue with the tank leaking. While it's not a torrent, over a few hours I find liquid on the device, the tank, and my hands. What might I be doing wrong here?

I'm not using the included drip tip, since I prefer some of my 510 drip tips. I'm running it at around 40W, sometimes less. eliquid is 70% VG.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
There are a number of reasons why your tank atomizer might leak, so it's helpful to understand the mechanics of how a tank works.

The content of the tank is a column of juice suspended above a wick, which acts as a conduit to the coil. The flow resistance of the wick material and the negative pressure above the liquid at the top of the tank are the forces that prevent the juice from simply pouring out the bottom.

This explains why having the top of the tank open for too long while filling can result in leaking: there's no negative pressure "holding it in".
This also explains why bubbles are sometimes seen rising in the tank during use: atmospheric pressure is attempting to equalize the lower pressure in this area above the juice.

If you are using a tank with factory made coil heads (or an RTA) then the steps below can be used to minimize or eliminate leaking ~
  • Don't overfill your tank. Do leave a small air space at the top
  • Close the airflow/juice control when filling
  • Avoid leaving your mod in anything other than a vertical position
  • Check your o-rings are well fitted and not damaged or worn
  • Check all the tank components are fitted firmly together
  • Check that none of the components are cross threaded
  • Check for cracks or chips in tank glass
  • Check for bends or distortions in any of the tank components
  • Keep the chimney clear of gunk and excess juice
  • Clean your tank inside and out regularly

If you are using an RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer) then there are additional steps you can take to prevent leaking:
  1. Tank choice - Some tanks are just more prone to leaking then others and all tanks require a unique wicking technique particular to that device.
  2. Wick position - Wicks should be well situated ensuring that juice channels are completely filled.
  3. Wick length - Short wicks will provide a short distance from the juice to the coil, but may not provide sufficient flow resistance to the pressure of the juice above it: the wicks are then overwhelmed and leaking can occur. A long wick may have enough resistance, but be too long to wick efficiently creating dry hits.
It's a balancing act!

The density of the wicking, airflow, wattage and juice viscosity (PG/VG ratio) are all also pertinent variables in creating a successful leak free build.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Thank you.
I'll first address items 1-3 in your list, and refer as needed to the rest. Although, I haven't really experienced problems violating these 'rules' with other tanks, such as Aspire Nautilus.
  • Don't overfill your tank. Do leave a small air space at the top
  • Close the airflow/juice control when filling
  • Avoid leaving your mod in anything other than a vertical position

Reactions: sonicbomb

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
I bought some of the Sense V-Jet kits. And I'm having an issue with the tank leaking. While it's not a torrent, over a few hours I find liquid on the device, the tank, and my hands. What might I be doing wrong here?

Check your o-rings and the white fill gasket. One of my V-Jets worked fine for awhile and then started leaking. Tried another V-Jet tank with same coil and worked fine so compared the working tank to leaking one. The fill gasket was deformed. Probably defective from the start as now the fill locking thing latches easily where before it took more pressure and has not leaked at all.

• Useful
Reactions: NCC

shanta96

Moved On
Feb 24, 2020
  • Deleted by Misty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread