Serious question, what would make a new vaper go back to normal cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Three days ago I couldn't envisage any scenario in which I would give up normal cigarettes. The best I hoped for was to cut down from a pack a day, often more specially if I was having a beer.

Since I switched to vaping I have (touch wood) not wanted a normal cigarette at all yet I keep reading those stories about people who vape but still need a certain amount of cigs, or they fall off the vaping wagon and go back on to cigs.

I get that you need a goodish PV (not a cigalike, no offense to people who have found them of use but to me psychologically you feel you're still smoking) and some good liquids and of course, crucially, the right nicotine content. But there is all this help out there. There are lots of amazing people on here who will answer questions about anything and everything to help you get the right setup to quit normal cigs.

I have found that using my EVOD black starter kit (yes the black is important, I am painfully shallow) has been much more enjoyable than smoking. I can taste all the flavours, the ACT of smoking is all there, the clouds of smoke is there, the TH is there, I don't NEED a or want a normal cigarette. If someone offered me a normal cigarette now I would say no thanks, but would you like to try my USA Mix?

I can't imagine what would make people turn back to cigs after trying this option. I suppose in some ways it depends how you go went in to it. I went into this thinking hey this could work for me and I was kind of determined to make it work. Maybe these people haven't fully convinced themselves the time is right to give up the cigs? I don't know.

Sorry, thinking aloud... any thoughts?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Most that I have seen go back even part time boil down to a couple of issues.

Broken hardware or ran out of juice. Solution backups for your backups backups. Just don't get caught without something vapable.

Stress or an unusually strong craving. Solution: Keep some higher mg Nic Juice around just for such emergencies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Different strokes..

Why does a black evod kid make you shallow? I'm confuzzled.

I really liked the look of it because it was black. I love black, even though I'm not black myself. It looks even better than the pics that originally enticed me. I have to be using something that looks good and feels good to me. I don't care if everyone in the whole world hates it except me :)

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
I started out with a volt cig-a-like kit from smokeless image a couple of years ago. The Volt got me into the world of vaping but ultimately it wasn't very convenient. For example, having the batteries drain quickly or even die on me every few months would send me back to the store for a pack of cigarettes. So yeah, if you're an under-equipped, uneducated noob (like I was) whose equipment fails you, then you're likely to go back to smoking because you may judge that smoking is more convenient than doubling down on a pricey mod set up.

Luckily ECF was here to help me keep the faith! :vapor:

Only way I can imagine someone would go back to smoking, other than broken hardware or running out of juice, is the hardware/method he started with was of inferior quality.

I didn't even plan on quitting when I first got my original eGo. I just enjoyed it and didn't even want a cigarette that night. I remember it like it was yesterday even though it was in early 2010. And the rest is history.

james chapman

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Kerrville Texas
I have been off Cigs for 2.6yrs. The other night out of the blue I had the strongest urge for a real Cig. When I say strong,I mean STRONG. I was ready to walk to the Ice House and buy a pack. I just wanted one. The urge was gone shortly. In the time I have been off Cigs I have never wanted one that bad. I have been around smokers and was not tempted. If they were to ban Ecigs I would be back smoking.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I get the point about the hardware that a few of you have made. The kit I bought had two batteries and two cartos and five spare replacement heads and I have bought lots of juice. I only have one charger though.... hmmm.....

The charger's the most important singular item on the list. :)

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
i see this a lot with people that live with people who smoke analogs. they use the e cig sometimes for months then next you know you see them firing up an analog. and you ask them whats up? try to offer them some free juice or gear and they have juice and decent gear. and finely they just say something like "its not for me". there are a number of factors at play here... most analogs have a ton of additives that potentiate the effects of nicotine (make it stronger) and they know that they just dont get the same buzz from there e-cig. seeing people who smoke all the time does not help with the psychological aspect. and then you have people who encourage bad choices because it validate there own bad choices. they like to pressure people into using or doing something that they so is wrong or bad because they need someone as a scapegoat. "well my wife smokes so why don't i smoke" and vice versa.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
Three days ago I couldn't envisage any scenario in which I would give up normal cigarettes. The best I hoped for was to cut down from a pack a day, often more specially if I was having a beer.

Since I switched to vaping I have (touch wood) not wanted a normal cigarette at all yet I keep reading those stories about people who vape but still need a certain amount of cigs, or they fall off the vaping wagon and go back on to cigs.

I get that you need a goodish PV (not a cigalike, no offense to people who have found them of use but to me psychologically you feel you're still smoking) and some good liquids and of course, crucially, the right nicotine content. But there is all this help out there. There are lots of amazing people on here who will answer questions about anything and everything to help you get the right setup to quit normal cigs.

I have found that using my EVOD black starter kit (yes the black is important, I am painfully shallow) has been much more enjoyable than smoking. I can taste all the flavours, the ACT of smoking is all there, the clouds of smoke is there, the TH is there, I don't NEED a or want a normal cigarette. If someone offered me a normal cigarette now I would say no thanks, but would you like to try my USA Mix?

I can't imagine what would make people turn back to cigs after trying this option. I suppose in some ways it depends how you go went in to it. I went into this thinking hey this could work for me and I was kind of determined to make it work. Maybe these people haven't fully convinced themselves the time is right to give up the cigs? I don't know.

Sorry, thinking aloud... any thoughts?

I've been having a h*** of a time getting off analogs 100%. Here's why:

I'm addicted to something else in analogs other than nicotine
I've had issues with not having enough backups (3 attys going in 2 days and a holiday weekend with local b&m out of stock!)

I was beating myself up because I couldn't break free, but I am taking it as a win that I've never gone more than 45% of the analogs I smoked.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
i see this a lot with people that live with people who smoke analogs. they use the e cig sometimes for months then next you know you see them firing up an analog. and you ask them whats up? try to offer them some free juice or gear and they have juice and decent gear. and finely they just say something like "its not for me". there are a number of factors at play here... most analogs have a ton of additives that potentiate the effects of nicotine (make it stronger) and they know that they just dont get the same buzz from there e-cig. seeing people who smoke all the time does not help with the psychological aspect. and then you have people who encourage bad choices because it validate there own bad choices. they like to pressure people into using or doing something that they so is wrong or bad because they need someone as a scapegoat. "well my wife smokes so why don't i smoke" and vice versa.

Well you know, thinking about everything I said in my original post I probably sounded smug I mean I'm only 3 days in. I hope it didn't come across that way and I know there might be a time out there in my future that I get this urge but the thing is I was expecting that right from day one and it just hasn't happened.

If it does happen I will fight it with everything I have. I never want to go back to cigarettes again.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I've been having a h*** of a time getting off analogs 100%. Here's why:

I'm addicted to something else in analogs other than nicotine
I've had issues with not having enough backups (3 attys going in 2 days and a holiday weekend with local b&m out of stock!)

I was beating myself up because I couldn't break free, but I am taking it as a win that I've never gone more than 45% of the analogs I smoked.

You haven't given up though. If you want to take something as a win that's it right there. I'm going to order another charger and a few backups tomorrow in case I can't get hold of stuff and something goes wrong. I wasn't having a go at people who lapse I just keep reading stories about people who still want analogues and I couldn't understand why.

I get everything from vaping that I got from analogues. What do you think it is in normal cigs that you were addicted to apart from nicotine?

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Well you know, thinking about everything I said in my original post I probably sounded smug I mean I'm only 3 days in. I hope it didn't come across that way and I know there might be a time out there in my future that I get this urge but the thing is I was expecting that right from day one and it just hasn't happened.

If it does happen I will fight it with everything I have. I never want to go back to cigarettes again.

The serious answer is that everyone's different. There was a thread here not too long ago in which the OP asked vapers to weigh in about the retrospective appeal of cigarettes, after quitting. Most of the respondents (unsurprisingly, given the venue) answered that they now find cigarettes unappealing, in some cases even repulsive. But some vapers reported that cigarettes still called to them on occasion, that no amount of time or distance could shake their affinity for the feel, smell, taste of a cigarette.

Don't get me wrong; personally I think e-cigarettes are a miracle. With their aid, I've been able to quit smoking with almost zero discomfort (so far). But even the most zealous pro-vaping advocate must acknowledge that e-cigs don't work for everyone. Please do keep in mind that this forum isn't necessarily representative. A lot of us, if not most of us, are here precisely because vaping has worked.

By the same token, people who've struggled to quit shouldn't beat themselves up over it. Quitting cigarettes is a big bleeping deal. I tried to quit, with laughably bad results, for the better part of 20 years. And I'm far from alone on that.

Anyway, based on my rather shallow experience here, I'll only offer this tiny bit of substantive advice for the new vaper who's having trouble kicking their cigarettes to the curb: try upping the nicotine concentration in your juice. Better to start too high than too low. You can't hurt yourself; the worst that'll happen is that you might get a little nauseous as you grow accustomed to the distinctly different pace of vaping.

Also, don't get discouraged if you hate the flavor of your initial juice selection. It can be hard to find a good one, but a good one is out there, waiting for you to find it. :)

Last edited:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA

You hit the nail on the head "I never want to go back to cigarettes again.". I think this mindset also plays a significant role, along with the right equipment & juice. I'm 1 month smoke free today. I was/am committed to not smoking. If I need to, I vape a higher level of nic to get me through cravings. I spent the money to buy a back up system just in case. I was ready to quit.

Some people try an e-cig and see how it goes. Unknowingly, they may not buy a set up that suits them to make the transition from smoking to vaping. I started with Blu. If that was my only option, I don't think I could have stayed with it. Finding ECF made a big difference to me. It provided a wealth of information and support. Without a good setup, support and commitment, some people may go back to smoking. I hope they decide to try again. I've seen stories of those who have and succeeded the 2nd time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread