[Serious question] ... Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graz

Feb 9, 2014
Taiwan
Let me start with a disclaimer...

My vape mail currently contains (among other things) a Vamo V5 and a Russian...my first ever vv/vw mod & rba. I've watched easily a couple of hundred youtube videos related to modding...so many in fact that my wife's asking questions regarding my sanity. (She let's it all slide cuz I'm off the cigs completely, but the word 'crazy' has come out of her mouth.)

So, to the point... I'm writing this because the question that continues to haunt me is 'why'? To watch & read folks describe it, there's a nirvana to be reached where the right combination of voltage, wattage, impedance, wick material, and airflow will:

• Create a flavor rush that would make a big bag of Skittles blush
  • On a single toke, fill the lungs of four grown men with a vapor dense enough to cut with a fork :blink:

And while this all sounds cool (at least I think it does), it doesn't at all represent how I smoked analogs. The only analogy to modding in the analog world that I can think of would be a 20-second, lung-buster tobacco hit on one of those water pipe contraption thingies. And, well, I never smoked tobacco that way, and I never met anyone who did.

So, flavor is cool...heck yea, I'm all for that. But is insane vapor volume really that big of a need? (And yes, I realize more vapor is the means by which more flavor is achieved...I get that.) But shouldn't the 'ideal' be closer to something like a 'normal' 3-4 second pull producing great flavor, a good throat hit, and a reasonable amount of vapor (whatever that is)? Maybe most importantly, shouldn't the goal be 'less is more' where a great vape can be achieved without draining 1ml of juice on a single pull?

Maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe it'll make itself clear when my gear shows up & I get things up & running. But in the meantime, I'd be interested to hear thoughts from others. (Thanks!)

Doghead

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Usa
At one point I would've understood exactly where you're coming from. I've been off analogs for six months now. At first my halo Tritons were awesome. Then I started going past the three or four second cut off. Now I find myself going over the 10 second cut off on my MVP. I'm okay with dropping my nic level, but keep wanting more thicker vapor. Even a higher nic drag off the triton isn't as satisfying. Mods and RDAs are now on order! I think it's just the way it goes for lots of us. A progression to ever increasing clouds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Some people have chosen to take vaping beyond the smoking replacement point into the extreme hobby end of things. For some making it a hobby is part of their success with smoking cessation. To each their own.

Everyone has their own particular vape nirvana. For some its extreme clouds for others it is as close to simulating smoking as possible. I suspect most are somewhere between the 2.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Some people have chosen to take vaping beyond the smoking replacement point into the extreme hobby end of things. For some making it a hobby is part of their success with smoking cessation. To each their own.

Everyone has their own particular vape nirvana. For some its extreme clouds for others it is as close to simulating smoking as possible. I suspect most are somewhere between the 2.

This^^^^

I think because of the gear and the nature of vaping, a lot of people take it further as a hobby and part of their smoking cessation.

I too was looking for an exact replica of a cigarette hit. It was my "Unicorn." I was never really interested in the hobby or cloud chasing at all. Vaping was nice, and I had given up smoking, but it still just wasn't as good as real smoking.

With cartomizers, clearmizers, and RBA tanks it seems to be a bit weak with the short draws emulating a real cigarette. You have to take long multiple puffs way exceeding the way you would of smoked tobacco. If you try to strictly vape these toppers like you would of smoked a cigarette, it's just not there.

I found that sub-ohm vaping on a properly set-up RDA can be dead-on with emulating a real cigarette hit. A nice quick 2-3 second mouth to lung puff that produces thick, warm vapor and lung feel. No primer puffs, no cloud chasing at all.

Sure, you could open up the airflow and chuck it for a good 10 sec and exhale a fog machine.. but set up right it produces an exacting replica of an actual real cigarette hit. Just like you remember: you put it to your lips mid conversation, drag for 2-3 sec, and there it is, that old familiar mouth and lung feel of smoke.. only it's not smoke!

EolasTear

Jul 2, 2009
With an analog, if you were to try and take a 10 second lung hit it would likely make you sick or knock you on your .......n .... What I found with vaping is whether I take a 5 second hit or 10 second hit, the throat hit really doesn't change that much for me, just the amount of vapor. Also, on a good device, even with a 10 second hit the likelihood of me burning my lips is minimal, not so with an analog. Analogs by their nature necessitate taking 3 to 4 second hits, while vaping allows you to push those boundries. If analogs behaved like vaping, I think you would see folks showing the same types of behavior as they do with vaping. For lack of a better reference, vaping is a lot like hitting a .... and thus the behaviors you see tend to be similar. Just my two cents.

Graz

Feb 9, 2014
Taiwan
This^^^^

I think because of the gear and the nature of vaping, a lot of people take it further as a hobby and part of their smoking cessation.

I too was looking for an exact replica of a cigarette hit. It was my "Unicorn." I was never really interested in the hobby or cloud chasing at all. Vaping was nice, and I had given up smoking, but it still just wasn't as good as real smoking.

With cartomizers, clearmizers, and RBA tanks it seems to be a bit weak with the short draws emulating a real cigarette. You have to take long multiple puffs way exceeding the way you would of smoked tobacco. If you try to strictly vape these toppers like you would of smoked a cigarette, it's just not there.

I found that sub-ohm vaping on a properly set-up RDA can be dead-on with emulating a real cigarette hit. A nice quick 2-3 second mouth to lung puff that produces thick, warm vapor and lung feel. No primer puffs, no cloud chasing at all.

Sure, you could open up the airflow and chuck it for a good 10 sec and exhale a fog machine.. but set up right it produces an exacting replica of an actual real cigarette hit. Just like you remember: you put it to your lips mid conversation, drag for 2-3 sec, and there it is, that old familiar mouth and lung feel of smoke.. only it's not smoke!

This is the sort of response I was interested in seeing. What you describe with the 2-3 second mouth to lung puff is pretty much exactly what I'll be chasing with my mod setup. Thanks Funk.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
?..........(And yes, I realize more vapor is the means by which more flavor is achieved...I get that.)........

In my experience more vapor is not the means by which more flavor is achieved. In fact most setups that produce large amounts of thick vapor can be trumped by setups that produce moderate vapor when it comes to flavor. Now some are probably going to refute that, but I would wonder if in fact they have had a great flavor producing setup before. My end game was (and still is) the overall vape experience with great flavor, modest heat, decent vapor, and a decent throat hit from a 2 to 3 second vape. I have yet to find a "cloud machine" that has as good a flavor as what I get. I have spent a lot of time and built thousands of all sorts of wire and coil combinations to achieve the most flavor I could find. The best I have found has vapor that is actually a hair whispier than most setups considered good. I have a theory that the whispier vapor is due to smaller vapor particles and that is what causes the increase in flavor at the taste buds, but I have no science to back that up.

Now as to your question of why some cloud chase: because it's there. And if that keeps them smoke free, more power to 'em I got no problem with that.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
The simple answer is, not everybody is using vaping to copy a cigarette. Nor is everybody who vapes a former cigarette smoker, some are cigar smokers, hookah smokers, pipe smokers, etc. If you haven't tried a Hookah, they put most sub-ohm builds to shame in the amount of vapor.

If you no longer think of your PV as just a cig replacement, a wide world of vaping pleasures await you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread