shaking juul pod seems to increase flavor potency

Status
Not open for further replies.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
so the title says it all here, when i shake up a juul pod, it seems to increase the potency of the flavor. any idea why this is? scientists out there, by all means- please weigh in.

my assumption has been that it's mixing the juice's components more evenly and perhaps the minty stuff has separated itself, floating to the top or something. but really, i'm just guessing. any real insight into the matter would be much appreciated as this has been nagging at me for a while. a curiosity that must be addressed. thanks in advance!

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I almost always shake my bottled e-liquid before adding it to my tank. It's become an unconscious habit.

The different components of e-liquid can separate due to gravity. Vg is thicker than Pg, so it tends to settle to the bottom of the bottle.

And it follows, if it does [unshaken] do you get more or less vapor? More or less flavor?

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
And it follows, if it does [unshaken] do you get more or less vapor? More or less flavor?
Serious question?

Theoretically, if using a medicine dropper bottle, the juice taken would come from the bottom of the bottle where the thicker Vg would tend to settle. More vapor.

If using a drip style squeeze bottle, the juice taken would come from the top of the bottle where the thinner Pg would be. Less vapor.

All theoretical, mind you. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Serious question?

Theoretically, if using a medicine dropper bottle, the juice taken would come from the bottom of the bottle where the thicker Vg would tend to settle. More vapor.

If using a drip style squeeze bottle, the juice taken would come from the top of the bottle where the thinner Pg would be. Less vapor.

All theoretical, mind you. :)

As theoretical as the anecdotal evidence that most long term vapers remain healthy for it. Yeah…more vapor, more flavor. As you have to have vapor as the carrier to experience it, sensible to conclude.

Agree and my answer here to the OP's proposition is then that the better mixing (in this example) of denser settled liquids, mostly VG, is re-balancing an attribute or constituent in the VG that enhances vapor production, whatever that is. And that, as I've emphasized elsewhere, is the proportion of water that makes that juice perform well. Since water breaks down explosively and at far lower temp's than PG or VG it is the volatile ingredient that serves to violently atomize both. But no increase in potency likely. You can't have what wasn't there to begin with. And I don't think merely adding water will help. Think the proportion has to be ideal for the mix. As well it may be for the particular device config if we had a better understanding of the mechanics of vaporization.

I do believe this helps in good measure to explain to the extraordinary internal performance which develops in strain balanced highly symmetrical well oxidized closed coils. As well Kanthal's exceptional temp uniformity such typically exhibit. Why I so highly recommend new vapers learning how to make/use one as a baseline reference for both vapor and flavor production.

I'd add that not all recipes see significant separation. Not all flavorings have this tendency. Nicotine as an ingredient commonly does and being lighter rises to the top. Another phenomena often reported explaining why we sometimes get a big kick or throat hit from some sitting juices. However, it could happen as Anna noted that the juice wasn't mixed well from the beginning then seems to increase in character. Separation could certainly be the culprit.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
My first thought was OP is simply a victim of chain vaping, and/or inadequate factory wicking (pods/AIOs really aren't designed for chain vaping). Wick dries out ---> flavor goes away. Shaking the pod, accelerates re-saturating the wick, and the flavor comes back. Simple.;)

On the other hand, some mint concentrates rely on essential oil extracts for accurate flavor profiles. I suppose that oil might be separating. I have no idea what Juul is using for flavor concentrates; so this is pure speculation on my part.:)

Reactions: stols001

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
My first thought was OP is simply a victim of chain vaping, and/or inadequate factory wicking (pods/AIOs really aren't designed for chain vaping). Wick dries out ---> flavor goes away. Shaking the pod, accelerates re-saturating the wick, and the flavor comes back. Simple.;)

On the other hand, some mint concentrates rely on essential oil extracts for accurate flavor profiles. I suppose that oil might be separating. I have no idea what Juul is using for flavor concentrates; so this is pure speculation on my part.:)

Just speculating too but if you repeatedly heat things up then let them cool all kinds of fun things can happen. Too tight a wick, runny juice and what you're sayin is very familiar. Yeah, chaining can do that. Was talkin about that on another thread.

Think most makers try to mix as stable as possible. I do in my DIY test juices which I have a following for. In the real world users have done some marvelous things to my recipes and brought them back. I wish I could explain them all. LOL Really hard to accurately break things down on a forum. No way to tell for sure what gear and liquids have been subjected to. I was just speaking to the issue of separation and could it apply. Actually for Juul, less likely as I'm sure mix is very well matched to the device. So I'd have agree = small capacity devices really aren't very well suited to chaining. And there's no tellin what might have happened under such conditions.

If I was to use/count on one of these I'd always carry two and switch off to avoid stressing the atty, juice and batteries. Cause I def chain.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I do something similar with my Juul pods as well. I hold them upright and flick my wrist to push the Juice back into the wick. Juul pods in my experience tend to get air bubbles stuck in their tiny juice channels and around the wick. Ive had this happen with and without chain vaping. Shaking it helps saturate the wicks again which does provide more vapor and flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread