Not open for further replies.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Living alone in a basement? Poor guy! I wouldn't have gone back to her, either.She called him but didn't go looking for him....
I know. It was breaking my heart. The first time I met him he almost got hit by a car. Thinking about him spending all his time either outside or in a basement alone is so hard. I had a neighbor once that had a beautiful yellow lab, he spent all his time outside because her daughter said he stunk. All the time, rain, snow, horrible heat. Once her kids grew and left home I asked her if she wanted me to rehome him. She said "No, the kids would miss him when they came home for holidays" I never saw any of her kids give the dog the time of day. Poor guy died alone in the yard one day, old age. Such a wasted life.
I mean why even have an animal if they are not enriching your life?

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
@chanelvaps if she can offer no proof of ownership immediately I would just ignore her and see how she decides to play it out.
Good plan. I might just do that. I plan to ignore any calls coming from Florida. 904 area code is where she called from. I cannot afford to ignore too long and have the animal shelter get involved because I volunteer there, have worked hard against the folks there for better treatment of the animals and ordinances to be changed. I cannot at this point allow my name or self to be incriminated in a scandal.
She eventually hung up on me and told me her husband would be calling me because I was "upsetting her by acting like she did not love her cat"

Terri McVeety

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2018
NE Texas
Yikes. I was contacted about Archie. A lady claims he is hers and she wants him back. She says she moved to Florida so she never saw any of the posts on NextDoor until her neighbor told her. She says the reason (I asked) he was out all night in the cold and rain is because he lived in her basement (sad) alone, because he did not like her dogs inside. She is now accusing me of stealing her cat. No matter that he was on my porch night after night, hungry and cold.
She moved Jan 24 and the last time she saw him was Jan 23. Said she called for him and he did not come. He had been at my house since Jan 14 but not in a cage until after Jan 29th. He could have went home if he wanted to.
Of course I asked her if she would not rather he live in a nice home with no dogs and not be coyote prey. She said NO, she wants him back.
I have friends at the local shelter. Not saying I will not give him back. Not sure what I will do. He is still up for adoption with the Rescue but gets a lot of attention and I know he will be adopted if he is allowed to stay on with the Rescue. I do not like the idea of giving him back but if I have to (legally) I will. I asked her to show me proof of his current vet visits and she got hostile.
View attachment 870965
If I’m reading correctly those dates aren’t matching and she’s lying. Poor baby wasn’t happy and seems didn’t matter to her. People like that just make me angry!!

Terri McVeety

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2018
NE Texas
I know. It was breaking my heart. The first time I met him he almost got hit by a car. Thinking about him spending all his time either outside or in a basement alone is so hard. I had a neighbor once that had a beautiful yellow lab, he spent all his time outside because her daughter said he stunk. All the time, rain, snow, horrible heat. Once her kids grew and left home I asked her if she wanted me to rehome him. She said "No, the kids would miss him when they came home for holidays" I never saw any of her kids give the dog the time of day. Poor guy died alone in the yard one day, old age. Such a wasted life.
I mean why even have an animal if they are not enriching your life?
That’s heartbreaking

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2019
Good plan. I might just do that. I plan to ignore any calls coming from Florida. 904 area code is where she called from. I cannot afford to ignore too long and have the animal shelter get involved because I volunteer there, have worked hard against the folks there for better treatment of the animals and ordinances to be changed. I cannot at this point allow my name or self to be incriminated in a scandal.
She eventually hung up on me and told me her husband would be calling me because I was "upsetting her by acting like she did not love her cat"
Did the cat have a collar on?

I know mine did when someone took her to the pound and I still haven’t forgave her for that since it basically killed my cat. My kitty only went next door like she always had for years and years looking for treats when she was snatched up.

My kitty was loved though all her life. I hate People that abuse animals.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
She dosen't deserve Archie, no love, no play, no life living in a basement scared all the time, screw her and block her phone #. You can see in your pictures how much happier he is now.
I know. He was free for more then 10 days, on my porch, he could have went home if he wanted to. She can call the authorities and make me give him back but I am going to ignore any calls for awhile and hope they just go away.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Did the cat have a collar on?

I know mine did when someone took her to the pound and I still haven’t forgave her for that since it basically killed my cat. My kitty only went next door like she always had for years and years looking for treats when she was snatched up.

My kitty was loved though all her life. I hate People that abuse animals.
no collar, no microchip, out in the cold and rain day after day.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
no collar, no microchip, out in the cold and rain day after day.
This sounds like a scam to me. Do you remember this person being a neighbor? I'm feeling the vibe of someone found your dog and needs money to return it back to you from out of state.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I know. He was free for more then 10 days, on my porch, he could have went home if he wanted to. She can call the authorities and make me give him back but I am going to ignore any calls for awhile and hope they just go away.

If she wants him back to go live in her basement again, and starts to hound you for his return: I'd be talking to her local rescue/shelter/RSPCA groups about her.

But I do hope she just gives up, she doesn't deserve him - someone who appreciates and loves him deserves him :wub:

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    This sounds like a scam to me. Do you remember this person being a neighbor? I'm feeling the vibe of someone found your dog and needs money to return it back to you from out of state.
    she lived in one of the subdivisions behind mine. No way will I be paying any money to get him back to her

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    If she wants him back to go live in her basement again, and starts to hound you for his return: I'd be talking to her local rescue/shelter/RSPCA groups about her.

But I do hope she just gives up, she doesn't deserve him - someone who appreciates and loves him deserves him :wub:
    Sadly shelters do not do anything about outside cats. It is allowed and happens too often.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Meet Hawkeye:

hawkeye.jpg

The only chicken out of the 1500 hens I work with, that is my pet ;)

She's not the prettiest chicken by any stretch. But every time she sees me, she flys up into my arms, to be petted.
    Her name and story is a long one, so bear with me :wub:

2 years ago, she was a 4 month old baby who got attacked by a hawk. We thought she'd die of shock, as birds do easily. But regardless, I put her in the separated egg collecting area, away from the other hens. I fed and watered her, and every day, went into that shed thinking she would've died. The top part of her head was raw, and we also thought she'd lost an eye. After a week, she was healing, eating and drinking. I was amazed.

For the next two months I kept her separate, until she had healed completely. By then we were firm buddies, and she always wanted petting before I left her shed for the day.

I then introduced her then to the rest of her flock, but still brought her into my collection area, for food and water, to make sure she was getting her share.

2 months later, she laid an egg. Hens only lay when they have a certain body weight ratio. I was so happy, as it meant she was now a 'normal' chicken - she just looked a bit different, with her bald spot ;)

For the next 18 months, she would fly up at me into my arms, for some attention, whenever I collected in her shed. It was always funny when I forgot what shed I was in, and she scared the living :censored: out of me by doing it :D

After 18months of having a shed of hens (200 per shed) we sell them to local farms, as 1-2 year layers. We then bring in a new shed of 12 week old babies. We do this for egg production reasons. My sis has created a market for free range young eggs.

When it was Hawkeye's sheds turn for turnover, I carried her into the next shed & paddock, which contained 16 week babies. Shhhhh ;)

She will find a new shed of babies, when her current one is due to go in 14 months time :wub:

Her name? yes she's definitely a female hen. But from day 1 I thought of her as the Hawkeye chicken, and it just stuck. Both of her eyes are 100% perfect. The only lasting damage is she has a permanent bald spot on her head. And a human for a buddy ;)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Meet Hawkeye:

View attachment 871133

The only chicken out of the 1500 hens I work with, that is my pet ;)

She's not the prettiest chicken by any stretch. But every time she sees me, she flys up into my arms, to be petted.
    Her name and story is a long one, so bear with me :wub:

2 years ago, she was a 4 month old baby who got attacked by a hawk. We thought she'd die of shock, as birds do easily. But regardless, I put her in the separated egg collecting area, away from the other hens. I fed and watered her, and every day, went into that shed thinking she would've died. The top part of her head was raw, and we also thought she'd lost an eye. After a week, she was healing, eating and drinking. I was amazed.

For the next two months I kept her separate, until she had healed completely. By then we were firm buddies, and she always wanted petting before I left her shed for the day.

I then introduced her then to the rest of her flock, but still brought her into my collection area, for food and water, to make sure she was getting her share.

2 months later, she laid an egg. Hens only lay when they have a certain body weight ratio. I was so happy, as it meant she was now a 'normal' chicken - she just looked a bit different, with her bald spot ;)

For the next 18 months, she would fly up at me into my arms, for some attention, whenever I collected in her shed. It was always funny when I forgot what shed I was in, and she scared the living :censored: out of me by doing it :D

After 18months of having a shed of hens (200 per shed) we sell them to local farms, as 1-2 year layers. We then bring in a new shed of 12 week old babies. We do this for egg production reasons. My sis has created a market for free range young eggs.

When it was Hawkeye's sheds turn for turnover, I carried her into the next shed & paddock, which contained 16 week babies. Shhhhh ;)

She will find a new shed of babies, when her current one is due to go in 14 months time :wub:

Her name? yes she's definitely a female hen. But from day 1 I thought of her as the Hawkeye chicken, and it just stuck. Both of her eyes are 100% perfect. The only lasting damage is she has a permanent bald spot on her head. And a human for a buddy ;)
    I think she's beautiful, her spirit shines.

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
    Sep 30, 2019
    E8EA5131-DB7A-4443-BF0A-22F42E1B8E0E.jpeg
    7B24AE74-5915-4801-95CF-3F349BA132F1.jpeg
    B1FBD1EC-663C-4E95-9697-F01C6AD2DFA6.jpeg

Babies still doing good:) I keep calling the vet asking if I should bring them in because their poop wasn’t very solid but they keep assuring me I’m doing everything right . Then I seen a bit of blood in there house inside a dish so was obviously concerned. They said just to make sure it’s not a lot but they seem fine

EC19BF73-0C02-4AC8-B55C-14B2CD927029.jpeg

Sassy and bugs loving the sun:)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread