Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Meet Hawkeye:

View attachment 871133

The only chicken out of the 1500 hens I work with, that is my pet ;)

She's not the prettiest chicken by any stretch. But every time she sees me, she flys up into my arms, to be petted.
Her name and story is a long one, so bear with me :wub:

2 years ago, she was a 4 month old baby who got attacked by a hawk. We thought she'd die of shock, as birds do easily. But regardless, I put her in the separated egg collecting area, away from the other hens. I fed and watered her, and every day, went into that shed thinking she would've died. The top part of her head was raw, and we also thought she'd lost an eye. After a week, she was healing, eating and drinking. I was amazed.

For the next two months I kept her separate, until she had healed completely. By then we were firm buddies, and she always wanted petting before I left her shed for the day.

I then introduced her then to the rest of her flock, but still brought her into my collection area, for food and water, to make sure she was getting her share.

2 months later, she laid an egg. Hens only lay when they have a certain body weight ratio. I was so happy, as it meant she was now a 'normal' chicken - she just looked a bit different, with her bald spot ;)

For the next 18 months, she would fly up at me into my arms, for some attention, whenever I collected in her shed. It was always funny when I forgot what shed I was in, and she scared the living :censored: out of me by doing it :D

After 18months of having a shed of hens (200 per shed) we sell them to local farms, as 1-2 year layers. We then bring in a new shed of 12 week old babies. We do this for egg production reasons. My sis has created a market for free range young eggs.

When it was Hawkeye's sheds turn for turnover, I carried her into the next shed & paddock, which contained 16 week babies. Shhhhh ;)

She will find a new shed of babies, when her current one is due to go in 14 months time :wub:

Her name? yes she's definitely a female hen. But from day 1 I thought of her as the Hawkeye chicken, and it just stuck. Both of her eyes are 100% perfect. The only lasting damage is she has a permanent bald spot on her head. And a human for a buddy ;)
I used to breed chickens and ducks and was always amazed at the different personalities. What breed is Hawkeye? Maybe a red Sexlink or a Rhode Island Red? She's a very lucky hen!

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2019
FA2D1928-03CB-4C8D-A444-C153FF2DF81F.png
345B5795-F30F-42B8-809B-6FED623A6FE5.jpeg

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Meet Hawkeye:

View attachment 871133

The only chicken out of the 1500 hens I work with, that is my pet ;)

She's not the prettiest chicken by any stretch. But every time she sees me, she flys up into my arms, to be petted.
Her name and story is a long one, so bear with me :wub:

2 years ago, she was a 4 month old baby who got attacked by a hawk. We thought she'd die of shock, as birds do easily. But regardless, I put her in the separated egg collecting area, away from the other hens. I fed and watered her, and every day, went into that shed thinking she would've died. The top part of her head was raw, and we also thought she'd lost an eye. After a week, she was healing, eating and drinking. I was amazed.

For the next two months I kept her separate, until she had healed completely. By then we were firm buddies, and she always wanted petting before I left her shed for the day.

I then introduced her then to the rest of her flock, but still brought her into my collection area, for food and water, to make sure she was getting her share.

2 months later, she laid an egg. Hens only lay when they have a certain body weight ratio. I was so happy, as it meant she was now a 'normal' chicken - she just looked a bit different, with her bald spot ;)

For the next 18 months, she would fly up at me into my arms, for some attention, whenever I collected in her shed. It was always funny when I forgot what shed I was in, and she scared the living :censored: out of me by doing it :D

After 18months of having a shed of hens (200 per shed) we sell them to local farms, as 1-2 year layers. We then bring in a new shed of 12 week old babies. We do this for egg production reasons. My sis has created a market for free range young eggs.

When it was Hawkeye's sheds turn for turnover, I carried her into the next shed & paddock, which contained 16 week babies. Shhhhh ;)

She will find a new shed of babies, when her current one is due to go in 14 months time :wub:

Her name? yes she's definitely a female hen. But from day 1 I thought of her as the Hawkeye chicken, and it just stuck. Both of her eyes are 100% perfect. The only lasting damage is she has a permanent bald spot on her head. And a human for a buddy ;)
LOVE this story~

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
@chanelvaps. I pray everything works out with our Archie. He deserves a kind and loving human.
thanks Possum. I think I am going to surrender him to the animal shelter but hoping they will let me keep him in my possession, as in turn him in on paper but not physically. I will then hold him for 72 hours while they do a "stray hold" When an animal has been put on a stray hold, they are held for 72 hours. After that he is allowed to go first to the finder and second to whoever puts there name down for him. I will maneuver this so that someone in my group puts their name down for him. Then legally I will be covered. Going to do all I can to not have to turn him over to a life in a basement with no love.
(I have friends at the shelter who appreciate what we all do so they will help as long as they are not jeopardizing their jobs)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I used to breed chickens and ducks and was always amazed at the different personalities. What breed is Hawkeye? Maybe a red Sexlink or a Rhode Island Red? She's a very lucky hen!

She's a Hy-line brown breed. We switched breeds from Brown Shavers 4 years ago, as the Hy-line breed keep their feathers longer, are a lot more passive with each other, and lay darker eggs. The only fault with them is they are brilliant escape artists - if there's a gap or a hole in their fenceline, they find it ;)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    Morning! Happy Sloth today :)

Caught up on thread - @chanelvaps fight the good fight, friend. People like you give me hope. It's very touching what you're doing. It pains me to think of that poor cat going back to his "home" which he clearly wanted to escape from.

@Ricky Vapes loving the bunny pics as always :thumbs:

@AngeNZ :wub: that is an awesome story!

Be well everyone!

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    They love the Timothy hay
    Heh - so, my name is Tim and when I was really young, maybe 5 or so, my mom came home from the allergist and sat me on her lap. "Son," she said, "guess what I'm allergic to?"

"What, mommy?" the baby sloth inquired.

"I'm allergic to Timothy!"

I cried. My. Eyes. Out. She felt so bad! She was allergic to Timothy grass :lol:

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    Fighting with the powers that be at the animal shelter over Archie. New director says I have to turn him in. I took him out of Petco in order to avoid a lawsuit and have him here at my house. I am fighting a losing battle because she wants him back and they are telling me "he is somebodies property"
    PEOPLE SUCK

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I mentioned a couple miniature donkeys to the husband he told me someone LITERALLY took a full size horse on a plane as support animal like a full size one.

I don't know if that means I can have the donkeys and I really don't believes the full size one but I might check. Just because it would be so awesome.

Also I am figuring out howl like I could possibly get a bunny across the Canadian border. Support bunny,.

Anna

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    Oh no! Do they have any proof he's theirs? Vet records or even pictures? This sucks. :grr:
    Yes, lots of pictures. I believe he is/was hers from the pictures. It does not negate the fact that he was on my porch for 2-3 weeks, cold, hungry, wet etc. He was free to go home anytime and he did not want to. She is slandering me everywhere. Facebook, NextDoor, etc.
    I am going to have to turn him over to animal control and hope she does not drive from Florida to come get him. I think she will because she just wants to 'get him back" no matter that he was not being cared for.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yes, lots of pictures. I believe he is/was hers from the pictures. It does not negate the fact that he was on my porch for 2-3 weeks, cold, hungry, wet etc. He was free to go home anytime and he did not want to. She is slandering me everywhere. Facebook, NextDoor, etc.
    I am going to have to turn him over to animal control and hope she does not drive from Florida to come get him. I think she will because she just wants to 'get him back" no matter that he was not being cared for.

People do suck. Excluding ppl here of course :wub:

I'm sorry you have this horrible person to deal with. Your plan sounds like the best thing to do in a :censored: situation

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    She says the reason (I asked) he was out all night in the cold and rain is because he lived in her basement (sad) alone, because he did not like her dogs inside.

This.
    If you have this in print/text from her...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread