Short lived, gunked up coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start, I have a Tugboat rda on my cci copper tank mod. I built a .22 dual coil setup with 24g kanthal. It's getting super gunky, really fast, like, within 2-3 hours. My cotton turns dark at first, then my coils get bad build up. After roughly 4 hours, they almost crystallize. I'm using a high vg sweet juice. So I'm sure that's part of the reason, but it should be happening this fast. Any tips?

Ps,
I have a very tight wicking process through the coils themselves.

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
Some juice gunk up a coil extremely quick, especially very sweet juices. Changing wick type won't help. And the lower the ohm of a coil the worse it is because of the extra juice usage. Not much you can do about it if you don't want to change your build. I have a juice that I love and I have to rewicking or rebuild every two tanks in my KFL. Nature of the beast.

msgnyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
United States
Get used to carrying something like an unflavored dental brush pick.
9esuta5a.jpg

Certain eliquids I love gunk my coils like crazy as well. Apple Pie from SmokinCrow is my all time favorite Apple/Cinnamon vape but it is a COIL KILLER . I always keep 1 brush pick in my rebuild pouch. Their cheap and reusable for along time so long as you rince them out and don't melt the bristles.

Just Pull the wick, dry burn what you can off the coil, wait till it cools else it'll just melt the bristles, run the brush thru the coil a few times getting whatever may be left in there out/lose then burn clean and rewick.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
Some juices will gunk coils up extremely fast. I have some DIY juice using fruit stripe flavoring that tast just like bubble gum. I love the flavor and it reminds me of when I was a kid. The problem is I can't even get a full kayfun through the coil before it starts to taste bad due to the gunk on the coil, this is with only 30% vg. This one juice just boggles my mind on how fast it kills coils. All my other flavors can go 8-12 tanks before this happens and I use mostly PG for all my juices. The whole process gets even worse in drippers at sub ohm heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread