Shorted VTC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I made a bonehead move and shorted a vtc4 of mine. kayfun neg block must have twisted when I installed my new hybrid adapter to it.

I fired for 1 second, mod got hot, I removed batt and let cool. Charged it back up and I tested it against my other fully charged vtc4 (both brand new btw, 1 charge cycle each).

The shorted one is 0.1v more voltage drop than the other under the same load, same mod.

Later I noticed that the shorted cell has a dent by the neg end on the side. Can a short cause a dent?

All my learning tells me not to use a dented batt or a batt that got hot. But being brand new, does this add resiliency? Is the dent or the voltage drop severe enough? I don't mind chucking it, I'm more asking to gain knowledge.

ahygevub.jpg

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
Shorting the cell did not cause the dent. If anything, it would have ballooned outward. That dent is from an impact.

This is my opinion on the matter.

Batteries, even the same units purchased at the same time, are not created equal. There can always be some variation between cells. Unless you measured the voltage drop of each cell pre- and post-incident, I am not sure the data suggests anything wrong.

Shorting the cell briefly may have caused it, and shortened its overall lifespan, or it may have been that way from the factory.

If I had any doubt in my mind about the safety of a high-powered battery which operated in proximity to my face, I would not use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread