Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I bought this: Hexohm 3.0 Styled 180W VV Box Mod. And, the battery compartment is so tight that I'm afraid I'm going to damage my batteries.

All 18650 batteries are not really 18 x 65. There are slight variations. Does anyone know of a slightly shorter 18650 that I can try in this mod.

Otherwise, I blew $45 on a brick. Well, I did manage to fit a pair of batteries in to try it out. But, they were so hard to get in and back out that I've never used it since. It feels too dangerous.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    18650_b.jpg

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I'm thinking that you could use lithium grease? I could only find that answer for automotive batteries though.... Sorry, hopefully someone can recommend something.... I'd say really if you aren't touching the terminals, any grease spray that might be used in electronics applications would be okay, but I'm totally not certain about that.

I'll be interested in the answer, actually. :)

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I'd use silicone spray on a cloth and wipe them down with a light coat.

The fix is to buy Sony, LG, and Samsung batteries. Those three actually manufacture the batteries they sell. Far too many battery sellers who relabel batteries do it by adding a customized battery over-wrap. That increases thickness. I've noticed that when I over-wrapped some of mine they are really snug in the mod. A proper re-wrap includes nicking the old wrap and peeling it off before installing the new one.

Go here to look up your battery and see how it fared. Mooch is our go to battery expert.
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Check HKJ's 18650 comparator, gives you access to all of his related tests' main battery charts, which include cell dimensions. Example:

LG%2018650%20HE2%202500mAh%20(Red)-info.png

Don't pay attention to the calculated internal resistance there, it is usually wrong to very wrong. :confused:
    Good ol' HE2 may do, units for sale in AliExpress and FastTech (5% coupon: BLF), for example.
    Alternatively, use a file (LoL!). :D

Cheers :)

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Check HKJ's 18650 comparator, gives you access to all of his related tests' main battery charts, which include cell dimensions. Example:

Don't pay attention to the calculated internal resistance there, it is usually wrong to very wrong. :confused:
    Good ol' HE2 may do, units for sale in AliExpress and FastTech (5% coupon: BLF), for example.

It's called di-electric grease or something. Some places sell it as bulb grease. I use it on batteries, light bulbs, and plugs and such.
    Thank you, both, very much!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Bought some HE2s. The difference between them and the 30Qs is so slight that I can't visually perceive the difference. But, they must be a mm shorter because they fit! They're still a tiny bit tight. But, not so tight that I feel like I'm damaging them.

Thank you!

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Glad it worked out for you, DancingHeretik.
    The modder in me says an easy fix can also be achieved using a Dremel type tool with some adequate grinding bit to reduce the overall cell lenght just a gnat's .... top and bottom.
    It really stinks, imho, when manufacturers of equipment design their appliances without sufficient error margings for whatever is to fit inside. In the flashlight world this has happened to some with the now popular Power Long Battery 26650s (LiitoKala INR26650-50A, Shockli IMR26650 5500mAh, etc) because they're a bit thicker (∅26.7mm). I can also say mods designed for 20700s and not even a shrimp's hair of extra diameter do not look good to me because amazing 21700 cells are already here, and although nice 20700s exist we know the Samsung INR21700-30T has set the bar very high.

Cheers my dears :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread