Shortness of breath and lungs aching after vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
Hi all I've been away from you amazing people for a while because sadly I had to break my streak of non-smokery, of reasons that I don't want to explain to keep this thread shorter, but would gladly if you asked me on the comments.
2 days ago I bought 200ml of 12mg 80/20 n-base in two 100ml bottles, and 30 ml of ready to vape 50/50 12mg juice flavoured with; Kentucky bourbon, coconut, roasted almond, vanilla and brown sugar (tastes like heaven). well, yeah I smoked heavily for nearly one and a half year and just returned to vaping 2 days ago and no desire for cigarettes at all since! (I have a problem though)

I even have this pack that I am not throwing away that I could smoke easily, but you know the trick I am away and I am for good. I wanted that nic rush asap and others just don't cut it, that's why I chose to vaporize 12mg, but will dilute one bottle of the n-base to 8 or 6mgs. The other reason being that vapes and selling any vape products are all banned here, (IT SUCKS!) so I want and need to get everything as cheap as possible(.... is expensive).

I am using a vaporesso revenger X that I chose thanks to you amazing people <3 with the stock NRG tank's GT 4 coil, not coils :(, Which I had to rebuild myself again. Trust me, there are no hot spots or anything, just like the original is what it turned out to be, so I know that the coil is not the problem. I know that 100% it is not because I vaped 0 mg to get used to it while I was waiting for the shipment and it tasted amazing and I had no negative effects at all. I added 9ml of mixology prime flavouring to one of my 100ml n-bases(caramel, vanilla, dried nuts and a slight touch of tobacco) and while I was waiting for it to steep, I wanted to taste it and yeah it tasted decent as well.

The problem with everything (or me) is that my lungs ache when I wake up, (happened rarely if I smoked too many cigarettes that night) I get too much of a throat hit, but the most concerning for me is that I get shortness of breath almost like my alveoli shrunk and it's like; I breathe, and my lungs fill up with air like 1 second later, I can not get the satisfaction of a deep breath, and the effects last for like 3 to 7 minutes. As I said, I smoked heavily for 1.5 years before that and this is what concerns me. Sorry for the novel-long thread but I'm just kind of in panic you know? Hopefully, you understand me. I am vaping non-flavoured n-base as of now and it is gentler on me but is still the same.

What could this be? Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you so, so much for reading this. Lovey'all

Last edited:

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
So everyone, I started smoking again for one and a half year because it is extremely hard to get vape products here, they are expensive AF! One decent mod costs 1/2 of the minimum wage, I ran out of juice and coils (I then rewicked and burned the wire and it's ok I can perpetuate this coil :D ) and it is a hassle to carry my revenger x w/ me because of the size and I can't afford a small pod mod and its salt juice that costs a fortune here and probably contains blended poop.

Additional info: I vape at 30W when MTL-ing, and 40W when DL-ing.

Reactions: charlie1465

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've gotta say, your first post is difficult to read. A wall of words. Try a few paragraphs.
I wish I could tell you what the problem is, but suspect others will come along with suggestions.

It's great that you have no desire for cigarettes. And, I hope we can figure out your problems with vaping.

Where are you, what do you vape with, wattage, etc.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
I've gotta say, your first post is difficult to read. A wall of words. Try a few paragraphs.
I wish I could tell you what the problem is, but suspect others will come along with suggestions.

It's great that you have no desire for cigarettes. And, I hope we can figure out your problems with vaping.

Where are you, what do you vape with, wattage, etc.

I did my best to split it into paragraphs but wanted you to have as many info as you can to make the progress of troubleshooting faster for you. Thank you for the quick and kind answer <3
I live in a country where vaping is illlegal so I don't want to give much info on that, hopefully you'll understand me. I use the revenger x by vaporesso with the GT4 coils, generally at 30W mtl to 45W dl. I am a heavy vaper. Thank you again and again for everything

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
So everyone, I started smoking again for one and a half year because it is extremely hard to get vape products here, they are expensive AF! One decent mod costs 1/2 of the minimum wage, I ran out of juice and coils (I then rewicked and burned the wire and it's ok I can perpetuate this coil :D ) and it is a hassle to carry my revenger x w/ me because of the size and I can't afford a small pod mod and its salt juice that costs a fortune here and probably contains blended poop.

Additional info: I vape at 30W when MTL-ing, and 40W when DL-ing.

Your English is fine although it's apparent it's not your first language, likely apparent to some more than others so I'd say your doing very well!

When you say your vaping an 80/20 mix, is that 80VG/20PG or is it 80PG/20VG?

You could have a PG sensitivity, or a VG sensitivity... you may try higher PG, or max VG to see if either helps you.

Also, what is the quality of your base? The higher the quality the fewer the issues, and since you say it's illegal where you are, perhaps your vaping a low quality product because that's all that's available. Perhaps you have overseas friends that can send you a known high quality product so that you can test for a difference....? Might be helpful.

But sadly, when looking at sensitivity issues, all you can do is remove items until you find the main culprit, and then adjust your recipes accordingly.

Last edited:

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
Your English is fine although it's apparent it's not your first language, likely apparent to some more than others so I'd say your doing very well!

When you say your vaping an 80/20 mix, is that 80VG/20PG or is it 80PG/20VG?

You could have a PG sensitivity, or a VG sensitivity...

Also, what is the quality of your base? The higher the quality the fewer the issues, and since you say it's illegal where you are, perhaps your vaping a low quality product because that's all that's available. Perhaps you have overseas friends that can send you a known high quality product so that you can test for a difference....
Thanks for the reply!
I vape 80VG/20PG as of now, but 50VG/50PG changes nothing.
I just found out that it is legal to vape, but illegal to sell, buy or import vaping products. (yeah it's weird I know haha) I use merck's PG and ingredients and the base is completely white, so I guess it is not oxidized and is good?
Maybe my lungs are just cleaning themselves? I don't think that there is an issue with the quality of the products but I also can't import anything but maybe I can go to other countries in like a year which is likely my only opportunity.
I think it's the nicotine because when I vape 0mg, I have no issues at all :(
Best regards

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks for the reply!
I vape 80VG/20PG as of now, but 50VG/50PG changes nothing.
I just found out that it is legal to vape, but illegal to sell, buy or import vaping products. (yeah it's weird I know haha) I use merck's PG and ingredients and the base is completely white, so I guess it is not oxidized and is good?
Maybe my lungs are just cleaning themselves? I don't think that there is an issue with the quality of the products but I also can't import anything but maybe I can go to other countries in like a year which is likely my only opportunity.
Best regards

Try vaping only VG (no PG, no flavoring no nicotine) and see if that helps. Then do the reverse, try vaping only PG (no VG no nicotine, no flavoring)

The above will tell you if you have an actual sensitivity to either.

That said, coming off cigarettes your lungs need time to adjust to vaping, I coughed a lot when first vaping until my body adjusted.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
Try vaping only VG (no PG, no flavoring no nicotine) and see if that helps. Then do the reverse, try vaping only PG (no VG no nicotine, no flavoring)

The above will tell you if you have an actual sensitivity to either.

That said, coming off cigarettes your lungs need time to adjust to vaping, I coughed a lot when first vaping until my body adjusted.
I am really sorry I forgot to mention this: I mixed my own 0mg juice up to 40VG/60PG to get more flavour and to try it 4 or so days ago, and nothing at all happened. This is what makes me confused. I am pretty sure that I am not hypersensitive to PG.
I will mix up a 0mg 10VG/90PG without flavoring anyway to make it 100% clear for you and share the results, but I don't know maybe my lungs just need to adjust?
Thank you for your kindness and eagerness

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I use merck's PG and ingredients and the base is completely white
by white.....what exactly do you mean?
nicotine should be a clear color with maybe a little yellowish color to it
pg should be clear like water
vg should be clear maybe a little cloudy as it is thicker

I get shortness of breath almost like my alveoli shrunk and it's like; I breathe, and my lungs fill up with air like 1 second later, I can not get the satisfaction of a deep breath, and the effects last for like 3 to 7 minutes
sounds almost more like a panic attack

The problem with everything (or me) is that my lungs ache when I wake up, (happened rarely if I smoked too many cigarettes that night)
I would lean towards the pg being the issue but there are some people that reactions to vg...try like opinionated said and vape just the vg by itself and then the pg by itself (though be prepare with jus the pg to be harsh/throat hit)
I know that you said you vaped 0nic and it didn't bother you but what was the vg and pg levels of the 0nic

but yeah as odd as it sound, when switching from smoking to vaping there is going to be maybe a few months where your breathing won't be so easy....because your finally getting rid of all of that tar and other buildup in your lungs from smoking....

but obviously if it is a problem, please see a doctor, not saying you have to tell them that you are vaping, but explain all the other symptoms so they can check. Take if from someone that's had asthma all their life and pneumonia almost every year and a few years ago who's lungs collapsed and the doctor amazed that I was still up walking/working/taking care of my kids with one lung fully collapsed and the other 90% collapsed....it's best to go and see a doctor before it gets to that point.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
by white.....what exactly do you mean?
nicotine should be a clear color with maybe a little yellowish color to it
pg should be clear like water
vg should be clear maybe a little cloudy as it is thicker

sounds almost more like a panic attack

I would lean towards the pg being the issue but there are some people that reactions to vg...try like opinionated said and vape just the vg by itself and then the pg by itself (though be prepare with jus the pg to be harsh/throat hit)
I know that you said you vaped 0nic and it didn't bother you but what was the vg and pg levels of the 0nic

but yeah as odd as it sound, when switching from smoking to vaping there is going to be maybe a few months where your breathing won't be so easy....because your finally getting rid of all of that tar and other buildup in your lungs from smoking....

but obviously if it is a problem, please see a doctor, not saying you have to tell them that you are vaping, but explain all the other symptoms so they can check. Take if from someone that's had asthma all their life and pneumonia almost every year and a few years ago who's lungs collapsed and the doctor amazed that I was still up walking/working/taking care of my kids with one lung fully collapsed and the other 90% collapsed....it's best to go and see a doctor before it gets to that point.

Oh I laughed hard when I read it sounds like a panic attack hahahha yeah it does but I am like the last dude to have a panic attack on this world just saying :D
I am truly shocked to hear what you went through and I am very happy that those are things of past for you. I vaped 100%vg without problems and I just vaped 90%PG, I thought I was gonna die of the throat hit but nothing lingered and my lungs were just fine.
I just mixed 5mls of the same base with capella's sweet strawberry RF flavouring to see if it is the nicotine concentration or maybe the flavours that I use contain DAAP? (highly unlikely)
It is clear that I am not hypersensitive to propylene glycol, and about the coughing you experienced after switching to vaping, I do have them as well but the shortness of breath spesifically after vaping is my main concern.
My 0mg juices were 60VG/40PG and maxVG except for the flavours.
Cheers, happy vaping!
Edit: my base is clear, with the a slightest tint of orange but everything is right with my 12mg base.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I'd say that probably this is a transition thing although less likely considering the time that you were a smoker. Don't forget that your lungs are likely covered in tar from it and it maybe that the vaping is just adding to the problem at these early stages. VG is certainly known for lung clogging in some people and also certain flavours can irritate your lungs too.

As others have said I did a lot of coughing up crap when I first gave up and I'd smoked for a long time.

By the way I'm guessing you're from Thailand....am I right?? :)

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
I'd say that probably this is a transition thing although less likely considering the time that you were a smoker. Don't forget that your lungs are likely covered in tar from it and it maybe that the vaping is just adding to the problem at these early stages. VG is certainly known for lung clogging in some people and also certain flavours can irritate your lungs too.

As others have said I did a lot of coughing up crap when I first gave up and I'd smoked for a long time.

By the way I'm guessing you're from Thailand....am I right?? :)
Hahaha I don't know am I from thailand? :D

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
*Important update* :
I just went on a walk of 3 Kms (1.9 miles) and my whole body along with my shoulders and my back ached a lot. I am barely 24 and it is starting to scare the .... out of me I reaaaallllly don't want to return to smoking on my 3rd day guys please help me or give me some insight on this am I being too paranoid??
I am very healthy overall, not overweight, I don't have any chronic or acute illnesses and could go on a 70km bike tour easily and now I could not walk 3 kms. Please don't make fun of it and I can't see a doctor because of obvious reasons and I have old people at the home with me, I can not risk them.
Anyone who experienced this while switching to vaping like me? I am calm but extremely concerned as of now and trying not to vape but I really am on a craving as of now. :(

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
seriously, if it is worrying you, it is best to see a doctor, you do not at all have to tell them that you vape and there's no way that they would even know...ok you smoke, or you did smoke....
I mean it could be vape related or it could be something else (we're not gonna say covid but....it could be some viral thing going on) and in which case only the doctor would be able to tell you if it is something else, again you don't have to at all bring up vaping.
It is also not uncommon for people to develop asthma as adults that never had it as children.

:lol: I did try to warn you about the 100% pg :lol:
typically more vg = less harsh, but as mentioned can leave people with a heavy feeling in their chest
typically more pg = more harsh, more irritation in throat and lungs
some flavorings can also cause irritations, for me most of the acidic types like lemon, pineapple...they will sometimes cause irritation for me.

At this point since you seem to think that it is your nic, is there any way that you could get a different bottle of nic, maybe the one you have is a bad batch... maybe it's mislabeled...
can you tell us the information on the bottle of nic? brand, mgs, is it pg or vg based or a mixture (what mixture), do you know how old it is....if it is a darker color it may be too oxidized and could be bad.

oh i've never been one to have panic attacks either but then for some odd reason one day I woke up out of the blue and my chest was tight, heart was pounding/racing/fluttering, felt like I could not breath like someone was sitting on my chest...this happened a few more times just random....my doc said it was a panic attack....don't know why or how but um ok then....

Reactions: Opinionated

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
First off, lower your smoking cigarettes. That's important before vaping. Next, don't vape mods. Vape pods with maybe 24mg to 18mg or lower nic salts. And this is something very important. Clean your house. After you realize you can breathe, smell, and taste better. You might realise your house is too dirty or dusty. Also drink a lot of water.
there's no real reason for them to change their setup since they said 0nic juice doesn't cause the issue....
and as they have tested both vg and pg separately without an issue, it's not their device/setup....I'm leaning more towards the nic is either mislabeled or old/bad
and given where they are located, beggars can't be choosers when it comes to nic
they can't really just go to a store or order online....and the quality of nic that they can get their hands on, is probably not really the best....since they already stated that it is a orangish color/tint....
really should try to get a new bottle of nic if you can and see how that works for you.
but also should speak to a doctor and not mention anything about vaping, because again it could be entirely something not vape related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread