The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Should I be aiming for TC kick-in at the end of a draw or right away?

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by tedigram, Feb 23, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tedigram

tedigram Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2015
    Brooklyn
    Giving TC another go with 316L in my Crius II on the Battlestar (daddy star, not the mini).

Having a lot more success than my first attempt, still only about 70% of my optimal flavor though.

When I'm fiddling around trying to find my sweet zone, what should I be shooting for? A temp throttle that activates ASAP, or one that doesn't kick in until the end of a draw? How do most people do it?

For reference I like cool vapes (lose taste quickly in any heat), and have never been really satisfied with wire bigger than my twisted 2-strand 28AWG kanthal, although I'm running 26 AWG 316L at the moment. My normal draw length is 3-5 seconds, chain vaping nearly always.

The vapor's temp feels about right when inhaling running at 390F, 26.5w on a 0.65 coil, but the flavor's not quite there. TC isn't taking over until the very end of the draw, at those settings. Going any hotter starts to get into "mouth of flavorless steam" territory that always happens with heat with me, though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you talking about ramp up wattage, or some "boost" curve feature? I'd say if you are feeling the temp too high, just lower it. I think most people use a "boost" function early on, but IDK, everyone's different. If the vape seems too hot, I would lower ramp up and most definitely temperature, even if you are in very safe ranges within that limit, you can limit it further if you aren't enjoying the vape quality. If it's too hot, I'm not quite clear why you would increase anything, rather than decrease.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. VapNMirrors

VapNMirrors Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    currently, Earth
    I generally setup to hit temp using preheat in 2-3 secs. Get to the optimal flavor temp reasonably quickly then stay there. That's my approach but there are many.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShowerHead

ShowerHead Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Here's how I think I did it years ago when I got into TC.
    I took note of my wattage settings. Added 20% to that. Set the temp for 400F. Vaped.
    I've had minor changes over the years, but it's been so long since I used wattage I wouldn't know if the flavor or anything is different from TC for the same setup.
    Today, I'd hit Steam Engine and see what they 'ideal' wattage for my build is and start there, maybe a bit higher. I'd suggest single wire spaced coils for TC too. Your twisted wire should be ok though. It's high mass coils that have an issue usually.
    Mainly, I'd think that you should set your wattage higher so the temp you like is reached as quickly as possible then your flavor should improve.
    In TC, the wattage is only going to apply for a short time then the set temp will be reached and the wattage will be varied to hold that temp. For me, on a DNA using the EScribe monitor, my temp line is straight up to set temp then stays there. Less than 1 second to hit 440F.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 3heavens

3heavens Full Member

Mar 1, 2017
    I’d turn up the wattage and see how you like it. I’m not familiar with that mod but 90 % of the time I have mine set to 50 watts single/twisted wire 316L. With .3-.4ohm.

With your build I would try 35 watts maybe ,more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    26ga ramp up time is slow at lower wattage in my experience. The OP might be happier with 28ga SS wire. Either that or jack up the wattage/ramp in TC mode to fire 26ga quickly.

26ga is going to require more turns to get .65 ohms in a coil. More turns of larger wire means more mass and slower ramp time, although 26W should get it there quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    Boost your temp to 420 and your pre-heat wattage to 35 and if you have TCR setting available set it to .00092.
    That should get you in the ball park .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.