Should I get the Evic Supreme or Ye Olde Provari/Provari Mini - Also considering Fluid Cyborg DNA 30 Brass & Svoemesto Semovar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Should I get the Supreme or Ye Olde Provari/Provari Mini. Also considering Fluid Cyborg dna 30 Brass & svoemesto Semovar. I really wanted something that will:

Let me flush mount atomisers - Floating pin in vv/vw seems ridiculously rare (why?!)
Isn't the size of a lightsaber and can be made small or at least normal size in 18350
Allows 20-30w - thought I'm not sure If I will use that much
Isn't a box mod
Doesn't have gyroscope menu features

Nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for. Everyone seems to make huge control heads that bulk up the size. I'm guessing the supreme could have been a lot smaller if they didn't have that upload your picture bs. I've been considering the zmax v5 or mini because its so cheap even though it won't flush mount until something that fulfills these things comes out - doesn't seem worth paying the extra £100-150 just to have something flush mount because the provari and semovar put out the same power.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Yeah that's what I mean - nothing seems to fit that criteria that I'm sure many vapers want. The lack of flush mounting and the size of some of these control heads astounds me.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure what wattage I need. Maybe 15 watts would be enough but it's a bit of a risk. I'm currently enjoying my mech mod & taifun GT - it vapes great all the way from 4.2 - 3.6 volts unregulated using a 1.3 ohm coil. It's just that sometimes like less than 4.2 so maybe a steady 3.8v would be good for me. It's always nice to be able to customise but whatever battery level it blows my mvp2 out of the water for some reason and I'm a big fan of the MVP2. I've been trying to estimate what I might need from a regulated mod based on my experience with my new mech mod. From what I can see in Busardo's MVP2 video the 1 ohm coil will never fire over 3.3v and 1.5 will never fire over 3.9v which means I'm getting about 10w max. Maybe I don't need massively more power - just 1/3 more?

Using ohms law calculator based on my coil of 1.3 ohms

The max my mech mod can so is: 4.2v i'd be getting about 13.5w - correct?
The minimum it will perform well at is roughly: 3.7v where I'd be getting 10.5w - is that right?

If that's correct then a 15 watt device should be enough for my needs but that all gets complicated when manufactures start introducing amp limits etc based on the coil you're using. I've not experimented with sub ohming etc but it would be nice to have a bit of room should I decide I want more power or to build lower ohm coils. Maybe there's no need to build low ohms in regulated devices though as it's all the same vaping experience whatever coil you use if you're getting the same wattage isn't it?

Before I got my mechs I thought the MVP2 was a powerhouse as I'd only compared it to cheap basic beginner kit type gear. Now I realise that it's quite underpowered really in comparison. I wouldn't like to get a 15w and then in a year or so realise 15w is actually pretty poor and I should have been vaping at 20w or something.

I ordered a fasttech vv kick but that doesn't seem to be working and is quite frankly not worth the hassle so I'm kind of looking for a mod that can give me the mechanical experience in a consistent regulated way.

Last edited:

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Dna20 (or similar) would be perfect. I usually run Kayfuns or a mini dripper at .9 to 1.1ohms on a mech, but I went for a 30w dna clone because I do on occasion rock a .55ohm dripper so having the extra headroom was nice. The 20w options arent much cheaper than the 30w ones, so unless you are 100 percent SURE you wont ever want the extra power I think paying a few bucks to keep the door open is worth it.

Btw, I have a FT vv kick and it works fine, provided I use it on high drain batteries. For some reason it does not like working with the couple of lower amperage cells I have. I honestly only ordered it for a cheap laugh and it never became a regular use item for me because the size of a mech in 650 mode plus a kick is just too much for me. And the battery life in 500 mode does not cut it for me. Plus having to ditch should I switch to a dripper was a PITA.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Oh I found something I must have. A DNA 30 Cyborg in brass. I don't know if they will have the floating pin on it though but a VW 30w in brass would be too beautiful. Also looking at the nexgen Futura DNA 30 that is coming out. I think I better hold fire until these come to market. The new provari must be coming soon surely? They can't let themselves lag that far behind the competition technologically can they?

Are my mech mod calculations above correct?

I would be tempted by a sigelei 20/30w but I don't like the look of them (that tribal design sucks) and there is no way I'm messing around with a gyroscope in public on what already looks like a lightsaber - I don't want to end up on youtube! The evic 30w does seem good even though it's big - just hoping they will bring out flush mounting option and brighten up that display.

Are 18350s and 18490s much shorter lasting than 18650s then? I'm using Sony VTC5s now which are 2600mah so would a typical 18350 at 800mah about 1/3 of the time or less? What about 490s/500? How long do they last in comparison to a 650?

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Yeah that's what I mean - nothing seems to fit that criteria that I'm sure many vapers want. The lack of flush mounting and the size of some of these control heads astounds me.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure what wattage I need. Maybe 15 watts would be enough but it's a bit of a risk. I'm currently enjoying my mech mod & taifun GT - it vapes great all the way from 4.2 - 3.6 volts unregulated using a 1.3 ohm coil. It's just that sometimes like less than 4.2 so maybe a steady 3.8v would be good for me. It's always nice to be able to customise but whatever battery level it blows my mvp2 out of the water for some reason and I'm a big fan of the MVP2. I've been trying to estimate what I might need from a regulated mod based on my experience with my new mech mod. From what I can see in Busardo's MVP2 video the 1 ohm coil will never fire over 3.3v and 1.5 will never fire over 3.9v which means I'm getting about 10w max. Maybe I don't need massively more power - just 1/3 more?

Using ohms law calculator based on my coil of 1.3 ohms

The max my mech mod can so is: 4.2v i'd be getting about 13.5w - correct?
The minimum it will perform well at is roughly: 3.7v where I'd be getting 10.5w - is that right?

If that's correct then a 15 watt device should be enough for my needs but that all gets complicated when manufactures start introducing amp limits etc based on the coil you're using. I've not experimented with sub ohming etc but it would be nice to have a bit of room should I decide I want more power or to build lower ohm coils. Maybe there's no need to build low ohms in regulated devices though as it's all the same vaping experience whatever coil you use if you're getting the same wattage isn't it?

Before I got my mechs I thought the MVP2 was a powerhouse as I'd only compared it to cheap basic beginner kit type gear. Now I realise that it's quite underpowered really in comparison. I wouldn't like to get a 15w and then in a year or so realise 15w is actually pretty poor and I should have been vaping at 20w or something.

I ordered a fasttech vv kick but that doesn't seem to be working and is quite frankly not worth the hassle so I'm kind of looking for a mod that can give me the mechanical experience in a consistent regulated way.

I'd get a DNA30 or SX350 MOD of one kind or another. You have more than enough headroom to grow in to lower Ω setups and you can slam your Taifun GT at 13.5W all day (though I'd bet you'll LOVE how well it vapes at 15W).

One of the new Cloupor Hana clones would be a good deal. You won't find a genuine DNA30 MOD for much less than $200 except for the Vapor Shark (which is a great little MOD by most accounts). It's very small (about the same size as a tic tac box) and is a true DNA30 MOD for $169. They also ship pretty regularly (they ship tomorrow (6.10) if you were to order today (6.9)).

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I meant why no flowing pin on the mod not the atomisers. Yeah I probably will end up vaping at below 15w haha. I find my mvp2 isn't enough at 11w but mech mods with a fresh battery are a bit too much - I like it when the battery settles down to below 4 or 3.9v - then it's perfect. Thanks I'll check out the vapour shark and hana clones but I much prefer devices that aren't box mods although tic tac size sounds good but 1200mah doesn't.

Last edited:

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
I bought a Semovar.

I sold a Semovar.

It was too big, the menu system was clunky, and if you overpowered it, it shut down. If you dropped it, it shut down. If you sneezed, it shut down (ok, ok, but it did shut down for any old thing)

Fit and finish was great, but in my opinion, there are far better choices out there.

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
I already had a Provari, so I stuck with that.

I am in that group that a lot of people find themselves in.

I run RBA's to low to need 30 watts, and I drip higher then 30 watts.

As a matter of fact, my Kayfun runs at .85 or so with 7 wraps of 26 gauge around a 1/16.
I set the ProVari at 2.9 - 3.1, and get copious clouds and great taste due to the large surface area of the coil.

Only the Provari will downregulate voltage lower than the battery provides. A DNA can be set to that, but would still deliver 3.7 volts on a frwsh battery, thus denying me the ability to vape the way I want.

Its all about how you want to vape.

So DNA's don't do anything for me. Good mod builders make good ones, but its just not something I would use.

Now, someone comes out with a good 45 watt regulted device built to the standards of my Provari, they will have my attention.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
My estimate is the best you can get out of a provari is 16.5 watts - I think it was at a 2 ohm coil. That would probably be enough for me but I'm not 100% sure. I think i've found what I'm looking for though - TOBECO DNA 30 - 30W, OLED, stainless steel, buttons not gyroscope and floating center pin at a great price. I think this could be a real winner if the quality is decent. The provari is such a rip off in england at about £200 and it's so old hat technologically. If it has all of these features then I may consider it but it's still not worth 4x the TOBECO - I don't care how many buildings you drop it off ;) It does look pretty though and I like how compact it is for a variable device.

Last edited:

Jp20

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2013
Victorville, Ca.
I have been looking at the vapor shark DNA. Mainly because it looks so much like a beeper, is a true DNA chip and is on the cheap side for a DNA. The clones have me a little worried, I've been hearing bad things about them. As far as I know it could just be anti clone propaganda. From what I've been reading and watching on reviews, about the vapor shark, with a ~1.5 ohm coil on a kayfun/taifun type tank set at about ~14 watts or so, it lasts quite awhile. Only down side for me is, full size kayfuns overhang about 2 mm or so and makes it real top heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
PTJH

At two hundred pounds, the Provari is certainly not worth it. For that money in the States, you can get a ZNA and have money to spare.

The vast majority of it's detractors have never owned one, and are just parroting what they have read, all whilst ignoring the fact that most would vape well within it's range. All of the guys I know with DNA's, after the first few builds, vape their Expromisers and Kayfuns somewhere around 10-15 watts. Anything else, they go mech. DNA's are nice though...wish I had a reason to get one. If ever there is a DNA 50 I am in.

But....200 pounds???? DAAAAYUMM....why is that? Tariffs? Monopoly of vendors? Collusion? Make no mistake - you are absolutely right - the ProVari is NOT worth 200 pounds...ugh

For the money, I think that the MVP is unbeatable. You have to like the box form, but the power delivery, in terms of accuracy and pulse speed, is unmatched in it's class. Combine that with it's reliability, and it's a winner.
The only weakness is the unreplaceable battery...but I suspect that that can be handled by anyone with a tad of electrical abilites. I will soon have a donor MVP to find out.

JP

The local B&M that I frequent is owned by a very good vaper, and is the hangout for the local cloudchasing crowd. They are of the opinion that most of the DNA clones are about a 15% of something being wrong out of the box, and about another 15% that it will develop problems in a short period.

Not bad for the price. The fault that has been seen the most is improper readings - resistance, wattage, and voltage. This can be worked around, as it's consistently misread..if it's .2 high, it's always .2 high for example, so no biggie there.

While you should buy what you want, if you have a mech mod, think about it before you buy a DNA. Do you drip higher than 30 watts? If so, at how many watts do you vape at when not dripping?

If, when you aren't dripping, you tend to not hit 30 watts, you might want to take that money and buy a nice something that will fit you needs, and just drip on your mechs :) Understand, I'm not trying to tell you what to buy, just trying to help by pointing out something that I and a lot of my friends have noticed...the DNA 30 just doesn't go high enough for us to use as an all around vape. That's still a mech.
DISCLAIMER

I don't own a DNA clone, but know 5 or 6 who do, who also know 5 or 6 apiece, and so on. Here in this subforum there are a lot of people who have them. They seem to like them for the most part, as do the guys I know IRL

Last edited:

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Yeah twisted thought the provari was a rip of at $180 - In the UK it's £180 ($305). Someone I know is going on holiday there so I might get them to bring one back - £100 isn't a bad deal to me (cheaper than the evic supreme). I've seen that but I don't really like box mods. I 'm not sure about the look of the zna either (if I could actually buy one). I like the cyborg and futura though. Shame the cyborg 30 isn't happening in brass - I want it so bad. IS the DNA 30 much better than the provari by general consensus - is it as accurate and consistent? Those are some pretty shoddy numbers from DNA30 copies if accurate. I do like the MVP2 - it served its purpose and has always been reliable. I'm just not into the box mod look and think it's a bit underpowered for me.

Currently use mech mod at about 1-1.3 ohm so am getting about 13 watts on a fresh battery so 15-20watts should be fine for most everyday use. I did just get the infinite magma dripper though - built a dual coil at .5 ohms and it is a powerful beast (35w) - nicotine rush off 5mg juice!! Maybe I could use that 30w afterall.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Did you watch Twisted420's review of his Zombie ProVari?

To the OP, I would also have to recommend an MVP V2...The cost of ProVari's across the water is just too high, in my opinion.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize I was replying to the OP's post. disregard the MVP recommendation. Maybe a Protovapor or ZNA? or how about this: Odyssey VV electronic cigarette kit 25 watt limit, made in the UK, etc.

Edit 2: Here's the UK site: http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/odyssey/odyssey-electronic-cigarette-products.html

Last edited:

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
I happen to own the MVP2, the Provari and the Semovar, and I believe that the Semovar is the best of the three. Its design allows all your atties to sit flush and connect with your firing pin, it vapes smooth and steady (more so than the Provari), has lots of accessories, and a modular design. It is the most customizeable mod I'm aware of. Over and above they are planning to launch a mechanical bottom firing switch to enable you to use it as a mech. On the down side however I agree that the menu is complicated, but like anything out there, it has a learning curve and I got used to it in a few days..AND I just use the commands I need. Another issue is that eats up your battery charge relatively fast which means that you'll have to change and charge your batteries more often..but again.. you get used to it. I'm not into cloud chasing and I rarely go above 12 watts..so it suits me fine.

The Provari of course is a very good mod..sturdy..steady performance..etc. But the Semovar IMO is superior. The MVP2 offers less power than the provari or the Semovar, but it still gives me a decent vape and I do keep it in rotation and it comes in handy particularly when I'm travelling and don't wan to pack batteries and chargers.

Having said that I'm on the look out for the futura DNA 30 ..seems like I caught the bug, and it's getting to be a hobby :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread