Should I get the Evic Supreme or Ye Olde Provari/Provari Mini - Also considering Fluid Cyborg DNA 30 Brass & Svoemesto Semovar

Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...Only the Provari will downregulate voltage lower than the battery provides. A dna can be set to that, but would still deliver 3.7 volts on a frwsh battery, thus denying me the ability to vape the way I want.

Its all about how you want to vape.

So dna's don't do anything for me. Good mod builders make good ones, but its just not something I would use.

Now, someone comes out with a good 45 watt regulted device built to the standards of my Provari, they will have my attention.

Yihi SX350 will step down power. YiHi has also put out an update that makes it 35 watts and allows for +/- buttons rather than having to use the gravity sensor. There is more information/discussion on the SX350 on this, vendor thread.

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
The Semovar ate batteries, and the chip shuts down the mod for a million different reasons. Reasons that no other mod does.
The fit and finish are excellent, but its very large and lightsaberish(which some people may like).
I sold my Semovar when it used up batteries at a 3 to 1 ratio at the same build and settings as the Provari. Hell, it went through batteries as fast as my .4 dripper on a mech.
It did nothing better than the Provari, was bigger, and made me have to carry three batteries to make it through a workday compared to the Provari's one.
Unless you just like its looks, I cant say its better than the Provari due to its well known battery issues.
However, since the Provari is so expensive for you, thats not a choice either.

The problem is, any quality 30 watt device is likely to cost you any more.

Were I faced with your choice, I would buy a cheap throwaway like a Vamo, and also buy a nice mech.

He Provari cost for you really screws up your choices. In the States, the Provari is much cheaper than something like a 30 watt DNA device of the same build quality, therefore makes sense. In your case, you are kinda stuck.

Peraspera:

Many chipset will allow you to set a lower voltage, but will not actually deliver it.
Has that chip been tested for low voltage accuracy?

Also, is there any that go to 40, or 45 watts? The whole reason I don't use DNA30 chip is that my RBA's work better in the ranges that the Provari can handle, and I drip higher than 30 watts..A good quality regulated chipset that delivered to 45 would actually make sense. I would buy it :)

Last edited:

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...The problem is, any quality 30 watt device is likely to cost you any more.

Were I faced with your choice, I would buy a cheap throwaway like a Vamo, and also buy a nice mech.

He Provari cost for you really screws up your choices. In the States, the Provari is much cheaper than something like a 30 watt DNA device of the same build quality, therefore makes sense. In your case, you are kinda stuck.

Peraspera:

Many chipset will allow you to set a lower voltage, but will not actually deliver it.

Also, is there any that go to 40, or 45 watts? The whole reason I don't use DNA30 chip is that my RBA's work better in the ranges that the Provari can handle, and I drip higher than 30 watts..A good quality regulated chipset that delivered to 45 would actually make sense. I would buy it :)

I have an SX350 mod on order but don't have it yet. The best place to ask about specifics for the chip would probably be on the vendor thread to which I linked. I do believe a 40 watt firmware upgrade is in the works but I don't know if YiHi will be offering anything higher. It is not a cheap chip - a bit more expensive than a DNA 30.

KSD is coming out with a budget-minded 30 watt device. It can not step down power as it looks like it is using the SX300 chip. Quite a few experienced vapers I know have been generally impressed with the SX series of chips they've tried so far.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Modding is something I would rather not do unless there would absolutely be no other way to get what I want. Fortunately I was able to purchase my SX350 mod from a modder I know.

I rarely play with builds that need a lot of power as it's not at all my preferred type of vape. I'll try to remember to PM you when my SX350 mod arrives. However, you will likely get feedback that is actually useful to you from someone who routinely pushes the upper power limits of the SX350.

ModBox

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I quite like the vaporshark 30 for it's size and price but it's a box mod and I prefer tube and a longer lasting battery. The hana clones seem to fit the bill to but they are box as well. I'm actually enjoying my vape at 13-15 watts at the moment so a DNA20 would probably really suffice.

My brother is going to America in a month or so - I might be able to get him to pick me up a provari. I love the looks of the provari mini best but wish it could take an 18650 too. Pass on the Semovar then - seems like a pain in the ..... Kicks seem pretty inaccurate to set, add length and are fiddly to work with. If there was a provari DNA30 I'd almost certainly pick one up. I do want a gus lord mech though.

Still kind of holding out on a Futura or Cyborg if they ever sell them. Sucks how the cyborg doesn't flush mount - kind of a deal breaker at that price.

jkusmc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Georgia
I bought a semovar and a few weeks later bought a second. I've owned a vaporshark DNA30, Provari, and still have an evic supreme. I absolutely love the Semovar.
I never have problems with it shutting down on me because I have found what works for me and that setup runs just fine on the Semovar. To me, vaping is primarily about quitting smoking, so once I found what works I saw no reason to change it. I use kfls built anywhere between 1.2 and 1.7 and because I am more than satisfied I don't see any reason to change it. (I'm a firm believer in don't fix what isn't broke). With those builds, the Semovar has no problem keeping them firing at a very nice level. Sure the Provari did fine as well, but there was just something about the Semovar that stuck out with me. The ability to flush mount just about anything, upgrade the tubes, change the top caps, and all of the future planned upgrades makes this mod completely perfect to me. Hell, if you fry the chip you can order one for 67 bucks from Nivel. Phil Busardo kind of explains why the Semovar shuts off and won't work with some setups. What I like about this is the Semovar will say "hey dummy, I can't do this so I'm shutting off". It's capabilities aren't any different than a lot of other mods, it just goes about reacting to limits in a different way. Other mods, instead of shutting off when they have reached a limit will just do it anyway regardless of out inaccurate the numbers are.

As far as the 30 watt bug goes..I bought a VS DNA30 and I loved it. The size was amazing and the performance was great. However, I never went over the 14-15 watt range. For my needs/uses, 30 watts is just completely unnecessary. My GF bought me the Supreme for Father's Day, so I have that IF I ever get bored and want to mess with higher wattage.

I happen to own the MVP2, the Provari and the Semovar, and I believe that the Semovar is the best of the three. Its design allows all your atties to sit flush and connect with your firing pin, it vapes smooth and steady (more so than the Provari), has lots of accessories, and a modular design. It is the most customizeable mod I'm aware of. Over and above they are planning to launch a mechanical bottom firing switch to enable you to use it as a mech. On the down side however I agree that the menu is complicated, but like anything out there, it has a learning curve and I got used to it in a few days..AND I just use the commands I need. Another issue is that eats up your battery charge relatively fast which means that you'll have to change and charge your batteries more often..but again.. you get used to it. I'm not into cloud chasing and I rarely go above 12 watts..so it suits me fine.

The Provari of course is a very good mod..sturdy..steady performance..etc. But the Semovar IMO is superior. The MVP2 offers less power than the provari or the Semovar, but it still gives me a decent vape and I do keep it in rotation and it comes in handy particularly when I'm travelling and don't wan to pack batteries and chargers.

Having said that I'm on the look out for the futura DNA 30 ..seems like I caught the bug, and it's getting to be a hobby :)

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
The Semovar ate batteries, and the chip shuts down the mod for a million different reasons. Reasons that no other mod does.
The fit and finish are excellent, but its very large and lightsaberish(which some people may like).
I sold my Semovar when it used up batteries at a 3 to 1 ratio at the same build and settings as the Provari. Hell, it went through batteries as fast as my .4 dripper on a mech.
It did nothing better than the Provari, was bigger, and made me have to carry three batteries to make it through a workday compared to the Provari's one.
Unless you just like its looks, I cant say its better than the Provari due to its well known battery issues.
However, since the Provari is so expensive for you, thats not a choice either.

The problem is, any quality 30 watt device is likely to cost you any more.

Peraspera:

Actually if it ate batteries at a 3:1 ratio then something is definitely wrong with either your batteries or your own Semovar. This ratio is unheard of among Semovar owners, a 1.5 - 2:1 ratio is more like it. With the new higher power batteries the problem will be less severe. There is some useful info and tips on the Semovar vs. Provari thread. IMO the power issues will be addressed in the future generations of the Nivel chip. As for the Semo shutting off for several reasons, I agree that it can be annoying to some people, especially if you fail to grasp the reason like I did when I initially bought it. Nevertheless after reading the manual I realized that it's just because of the Nivel chip's precision. Like the previous poster said, it only fires what it's capable of doing and providing an accurate reading for. Again it's a matter of preference. But for me I get a much better vape from the Semovar than from any other mod that I have, including the Provari. It might be a bit out of date for some, but for my purpose, it's like riding a Mercedes Benz ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jkusmc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Georgia
Actually if it ate batteries at a 3:1 ratio then something is definitely wrong with either your batteries or your own Semovar. This ratio is unheard of among Semovar owners, a 1.5 - 2:1 ratio is more like it. With the new higher power batteries the problem will be less severe. There is some useful info and tips on the Semovar vs. Provari thread. IMO the power issues will be addressed in the future generations of the Nivel chip. As for the Semo shutting off for several reasons, I agree that it can be annoying to some people, especially if you fail to grasp the reason like I did when I initially bought it. Nevertheless after reading the manual I realized that it's just because of the Nivel chip's precision. Like the previous poster said, it only fires what it's capable of doing and providing an accurate reading for. Again it's a matter of preference. But for me I get a much better vape from the Semovar than from any other mod that I have, including the Provari. It might be a bit out of date for some, but for my purpose, it's like riding a Mercedes Benz ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Couldn't have said it better lol. As far as the battery issues..I work law enforcement and am in the car for 12 hrs a shift. I vape fairly regularly throughout the night and I can usually make a 500 battery last the entire night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread