Should I just get a Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Ok guys seriously KNOCK IT OFF!! If a moderator happens to view this thread would you mind closing it for me? I don't care which device is better. And no chrispy i'm not talking about you anymore. I just want this thing closed. I will never post a thread with both the lavatube and provari in it ever again. And for any of you who actually care, My Silver Bullet arrived in the mail today and I love it.

Good to hear..hope you're happy with any device you get :) I wouldn't worry about the thread and it's not the 1st time this argument happened..most people just stay away from it. I've wanted to argue it out..sorry I did it in your thread. Since you're the OP all you have to do is ask a Moderator in a PM (I was looking for a list of moderators to link you but I haven't found it yet) to close the thread and they should lock it. You can even ask to have it deleted and they might..It wouldn't matter to me either way :)

Edit: Oh duh just go back to Variable Voltage Mods Discussion scroll to below the posts and there is a list of the moderators and admins for this forum..the red are admins the other colors mods..you probably should just message a mod but an admin would help too...

Last edited:

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I also won't be jealous of a Provari when I have a device that does the same thing for 1/4 the price

I've kept quiet because this argument is silly, and you're arguing from a position of never having so much as held a Provari in your hand, but now you're making false claims, and someone is going to see this and think you're giving valid information.

The LT doesn't "do the same thing". You want a bunch of links to thorough review videos? I'm sure you've seen them. Coil voltage drops off as battery voltage drops off. High voltages are throttled (sometimes as low as 3.3V) without warning or notice when using LR attys, LR cartos, or dual-coil cartos, and it doesn't simply lower voltage to something that wouldn't surpass the 2.5 amp limit; it lowers it drastically -- again, without warning. Coil voltage is rarely what is set, and it doesn't adjust for load, so coil voltages are all over the place.

First you claimed it was 1/3 the price, now it's 1/4. I don't shop LTs because I'm not interested, but keep your numbers straight.

...and mine even has voltage buttons making it easier to work with..

Again, would you like links to the numerous threads where LT owners complain because of stuck voltage buttons? I'm sure you've seen them. I watched a review where a voltage button failed after a week. Some are recessed, some are higher; there's no consistency to the build. The main button is also very prone to failure, from numerous threads right on this forum.

BTW be careful not to drop your Provari without a battery in it because they break if you do since they forgot to put anything to hold the electronics.

Yep, in the 2-1/2 years the Provari has been on the market, they've had so many returned Provaris from drops without a battery, and yet they still forgot to mount the electronics. They just float around in the tube, unattached to anything. Have you ever even seen a Provari, even on video? Now I'm going to ask: where did you read/watch this bit of information?

Plus don't buy a flat top IMR because it won't work and enjoy pressing buttons "10x" every time you want to change something.

Any battery with a flat top is not a genuine AW IMR. Want to use other batteries (which, BTW, are not recommended for any boost-converter mod)? Buy a 10 cent magnet spacer.

We get it: you don't like the idea of a one-button interface. You've never tried it, but you hate it. We get it.

I've said before: vape what you like, and what you're willing to pay for. But stop spreading misinformation. Want links to threads where the top cap comes off the LT? There are literally dozens. Bottom cap fell apart? Ditto. Buttons stuck/non-responsive? Again, they are everywhere. Crooked 510 connection? Dead after a month? Strange voltage readings? Dead or unreadable LCD? Threads are everywhere, as well as videos.

Now play nice. :)

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
..The LT doesn't "do the same thing". You want a bunch of links to thorough review videos? I'm sure you've seen them. Coil voltage drops off as battery voltage drops off. High voltages are throttled (sometimes as low as 3.3V) without warning or notice when using LR attys, LR cartos, or dual-coil cartos, and it doesn't simply lower voltage to something that wouldn't surpass the 2.5 amp limit; it lowers it drastically -- again, without warning. Coil voltage is rarely what is set, and it doesn't adjust for load, so coil voltages are all over the place.

Did you test this yourself? I did and mine was right on within hundredths up to the amp limit with the battery at 3.5v and with a multimeter not one of those modified battery checkers..yes I've seen videos where someone tested thoroughly with a multimeter and the voltage drop wasn't much except down around 3.3v or lower where you shouldn't be using a high drain battery anyways..you never know if there is a condition causing the lowering like a bad connection on a cap or a fake battery ect...

First you claimed it was 1/3 the price, now it's 1/4. I don't shop LTs because I'm not interested, but keep your numbers straight.

You can get a LT device for 1/4 the price..some places charge more..I paid $62.99 for mine shipped with 2 batteries the Provari kit is $211. You can get a LT kit with 2 batteries right now for $40+shipping that would make the kit less than 1/4 the price of a Provari kit.

Yep, in the 2-1/2 years the Provari has been on the market, they've had so many returned Provaris from drops without a battery, and yet they still forgot to mount the electronics. They just float around in the tube, unattached to anything. Have you ever even seen a Provari, even on video? Now I'm going to ask: where did you read/watch this bit of information?

I don't know how many have been made or returned neither do you..the don't float around but there is no cap between the battery and the chip supporting it.

Any battery with a flat top is not a genuine AW IMR. Want to use other batteries (which, BTW, are not recommended for any boost-converter mod)? Buy a 10 cent magnet spacer.

See below about Sanyo high drain batteries...

We get it: you don't like the idea of a one-button interface. You've never tried it, but you hate it. We get it.

Oh yeah because it's so hard to tell I don't want to be pushing a button 5 times to bring up a menu..I've seen the videos and it looks like a hassle if you want to change the voltage a lot.

...Crooked 510 connection?
There is one post in here where a Provari owner posts his connection is crooked on his

Yes I have seen dozens of Provari videos..including one where the poster stated in the comments he broke his dropping it without the battery because without it there is nothing to support the electronics. They both vary the voltage one does it for 1/4 the price. The Provari V1 had the same amp limiting as the LT V1 does except instead of limiting the amps it doesn't allow you to vape and gives you an error code. For $160 I want a device that works when I hit the button..I think for that price it should lower it and tell you on screen.

Sanyo ur18650w are IMR's and have a higher amperage rating than AW's plus they are flat tops and they seem to be the battery that comes in most LT kits..from what I've read about AW batteries they are made by other company's with a AW label..probably the lowest bidder. Yes the LT is mass produced more than the Provari is so you're going to get issues with them but I bet if you bought 4 LT's that cost about the same as a Provari a couple of them would still be working after the Provari failed.

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
:laugh: :laugh:
The guy is on the quest. To explain to everyone who owns a Provari, and is happy with it, that he saw a video and dislikes the button.

We care.

Hey if you enjoy pressing a button 5x to bring up a menu before even getting to the voltage up/down I don't really care but don't tell me I will like it if I had one and basically you are saying that. I change my voltage a lot because of the warmth of the cartomizer/atomizer changes the flavor of the juice. When they are really hot I like a higher voltage.

I didn't see just one video I saw dozens because I researched buying VV devices for weeks (even longer because before that I was looking at them) before buying one. I have read the up and down sides of the devices. I expected less from the LT than I got. Probably the real "holy grail" of VV devices is the Darwin but it costs even more and is hard to get..plus I don't like the design.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Chrispy, just tell us the truth.. you work for Apollo don't you? lol

Nope this is where I got my Variable voltage mod..he had a good deal and seemed like a nice small supplier. I just get sick of a decent device being dissed by Provari owners (not all) and wanted to point out the Provari is overpriced and lacking in features in my opinion for the price.

I know most people shy away from this argument but not me. I'm giving my honest opinion with all the info I have. I don't work in the e cig field at all.

I do repair computers sometimes though and used to repair game consoles..I must have taken apart over 1,000 PS2's and repaired them..most I took apart the lasers and cleaned them even with my 2xl hands lol..I had it down to about 15 mins a PS2 repair for $20 on most of the systems.

I repaired other systems too but I got into it because my friend had a game store and there were a lot of broken PS2 to fix and it usually was an easy fix. There was a design flaw that the fan pulled dust through the PS2 and it would get inside the laser.

I've Frankensteined a few PS2's together out of 2 or 3 broken systems quite a few times too. I still have 3 working PS2's laying around somewhere and a huge box of parts systems that weren't worth repairing.

I don't really think the Provari is a bad device and the finish is nice I just think it costs too much for what it does.

The funny thing is I don't see people who own other VV devices dissing the LT much...

Last edited:

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
6354759-happy-family-sitting-at-dinner-table-smiling-looking-at-the-camera.jpg

The_Jerkstore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think some people have been touching their Provari a little too much..I have to ask do you sleep with it under your pillow at night?

NO, It sits a top a shine that is candle lit, in a window for all to see. Folks come from all over and pray to it and leave it gift offerings.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I think of LavaTubes now as a great first device for folks who want a 10 watt vape w/2.5 to 3.0 ohm atomizers / cartomizers.
It isn't a "do everything" device like the Provari or Darwn, but it is a damn good high ohm 10 watt PV for the money.

I agree to a point if you have a V2 Provari it has a higher amp limit..but how long has the V2 been out a month? From what I'm reading a V2 tube with a 3.5a limit is coming by the end of May. Not to mention a bit of a redesign in chrome, SS and possibly a way better screen with it displaying ohms too. Also basically you're saying to Provari V1 owners their device is 10 watts..the V2 has it's limits too as a stacked battery VV device has a higher amp limit...

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
BTW here is a VV PV I built in the 90's that would put the wattage output of all these battery powered ones to shame. It will go from warming "tobacco" to incinerating it :D I think it cost me about $20 to build..it's a bit overbuilt but I was seeing what I could build and thinking about selling them. I couldn't get small enough transformers or a smaller coil for a low enough price that worked at the time. It worked good though just screw it onto a tobacco pipe full of packed tobacco, set the dimmer about halfway then flip the switch.

90532d1333970491-vector-variable-volt-vvv-dscf2326.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread