Should I store unflavored nicotine base in the refrig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
Hi folks. Just received my first ever batch of DIY stuff. Just wondering if the nic base needs to be stored differently? Like in the refrigerator or something. Thanks.

Just made my first concoction. Working title is Vanilla Custard Nog. Custard, graham cracker, whipped cream, egg nog(strong nutmeigy stuff!), caramel, butter, smooth. I threw in everything but the kitchen sink, because I'm an idiot and got carried away and over excited. :) Believe it or not, it's not bad... not bad at all. Needs steeping though. And some tweaking. This is fun.

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
Only for Unflavored NIC juice. No need to do this with plain PG or VG.
And what i have read,, never store flavors or flavored juice in the fridge or freezer.

The consensus that I have come up with is,,,

Just as an aside, I am still not sure which bottles are better Cobalt or Amber.

You will want the least amount of air possible in the bottles, NIC base does not expand or freeze solid. You can leave a bit of room at the top, just not a lot.

Store in smaller bottles, I have most of mine in 125ml Cobalt bottles with PolySeal lids, then food save them and mark the bags with date and Lot# and 100mg NIC VG or PG, then stored in outside freezer. When I am ready to break into one, I will split them into 30ml or 15ml Amber bottles with PolySeal lids, and do the same as above. then keep one bottle in the house freezer and take about 10ml's out into a 10ml squeeze bottle as needed.

Reason....

You want the least amount of exposure to air and light as possible, it sounds like I am not really accomplishing that,
but should be fine, I did it this way to conserve some space at this time. I have roughly 2000ml's of 100mg VG NIC.

Why I put them in a food saver bag is,, if one breaks, it doesn't get all over everything.
And to protect the caps from ice forming and weakening the seal.

If you are not tight on space, i would recommend breaking them down to the 30ml or even 15ml bottles and then do what I did above
and put about 4 bottles per food saver bag. Remember, you want the least amount of air in a long term stored bottle as possible.
The freezer should help prolong the life of your juice, outside a freezer it will turn dark and go bad in about 1 to 2 years, or sooner???
Better safe than sorry I say.

Reports have been noted on some threads that juice taken out 3 or 4 years later was still perfect as the day they put it in.
I am not 100% sure that is the case, but you can search for this info.....

Here is one thread I found, there are others, just can't find them right now.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/423063-freezing-60mg-pg-nicotine.html

You will generally only need an amount equal to the strength you vape, so, 18mg = 1.8ml per 10ml
Depending on how much you vape a day or week will determine how much you need to make at one time and store the rest.

Hope this helps.

once you take one out of the freezer,, you can wram it in your hands by handleing it for a bit and and once warmed a bit, you can run under warmer then hot water for a short time. you don't want to break the bottle by shocking it with hot water.

This is a good place for bottles and caps....

http://www.wholesalevials.com/servlet/the-153/18-dsh-400-Poly-Seal-caps/Detail
But I think they are actually this place,,, TrueEssence.com, I ordered those lids for some 15ml bottles i got that did not have PolySeal caps. and they actually were billed to TrueEssence.com,, but I did get them, so I think its legit. And good prices.

But go through wholesalevials,, they have the free shipping.

One last thing,, sterilize your bottles before you store your juice...
Bring water to a rolling boil,, I actually use Distilled water for this, wash your bottles in the sink with soap and hot water and rinse really well, then use tongs and dunk them several times in boiling water, and set aside to dry a bit.

I then use Everclear, or anything over 100 Proof and use a syringe to squirt some in and shake really well and dump, then set aside and let them dry for a couple of hours. Do the same with the polySeal lids,, I take the inserts out also. Then you should be good to go from there.

If working with 100mg NIC juice. Always Always wear gloves, and a plate or something so you don't get it on the counter. You will spill some.

Last edited:

genoxy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sorry to hijack

1) Does juice have a use by date? Previous poster mentioned they can be stored for 1 - 2 years with no issues, true?

2) I have low concentration nic - 36mg in 30ml 80PG/20PG mix because I'm in Australia and thats the highest I could order, does that have to be stored in freezer or just cool, dark place?

3) All my juices are delivered in plastic bottles, not glass. Is this a problem for storage?

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
I think I may have fibbed in my opening post when I said my concoction wasn't that bad. After vaping it awhile, and a few others I made, I'm finding they're really not good. I'm tempted to say it's because the flavoring I have is plain old crappy - nothing seems to impart the flavor I intend for my blends, but the logical side of my brain tells me it's because I'm too in-experienced to be able to succeed on the first attempts.

But, good lord, some of these flavorings seem to be way off from the flavor I expect. Capella caramel smells and vapes a very weird flavor. The vanilla custard smell wonderful, but vapes nothing like the smell etc...

Question: Do the concentrated flavors need to steep like juices do?

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
Sorry to hijack

1) Does juice have a use by date? Previous poster mentioned they can be stored for 1 - 2 years with no issues, true?

NIC Base has a use by date if stored at normal temperatures in plastic or glass bottles. Typically, it is 1 year. I think that some (depending on how and where it is stored, could last up to 2 years). Best to freeze in glass bottles as explained above for long term storage.

Flavored Juice has about 6 moths???? That is guess.

2) I have low concentration nic - 36mg in 30ml 80PG/20PG mix because I'm in Australia and thats the highest I could order, does that have to be stored in freezer or just cool, dark place?

Depends on how long you will store it before using it. I am finding that NIC base is pretty hardy stuff, so, you don't have to treat it like
it's nitro glycerin or something. Long term storage is the question. How long is long term?
I say, my opinion, if you won't be using it within a month, store it in a freezer as explained above.

3) All my juices are delivered in plastic bottles, not glass. Is this a problem for storage?

Yes, store in glass for long term storage.

NOTE: Never freeze or refrigerate Flavored Juice

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I do store my organic extracts in the fridge but not the regular extracts or premade juices. I only freeze nic if its a big amount and I won't be using it say within the next few months. Other than that, it's in my dark cabinet. I definitely use glass brown bottles for the nic, but I tend to like my final juice in a plastic bottle because it helps with the steeping. At least that's what I've read and seems to work for me.

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
I think I may have fibbed in my opening post when I said my concoction wasn't that bad. After vaping it awhile, and a few others I made, I'm finding they're really not good. I'm tempted to say it's because the flavoring I have is plain old crappy - nothing seems to impart the flavor I intend for my blends, but the logical side of my brain tells me it's because I'm too in-experienced to be able to succeed on the first attempts.

But, good lord, some of these flavorings seem to be way off from the flavor I expect. Capella caramel smells and vapes a very weird flavor. The vanilla custard smell wonderful, but vapes nothing like the smell etc...

Question: Do the concentrated flavors need to steep like juices do?

You should read all the stickys here first,,,,, very important,,, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/

All juices need to steep. Especially DIY Juices.
But not all juices need to steep the same amount of time.

There is a speed steep method I am experimenting with using an UltraSonic cleaner
Seems to have worked a little, I still need to leave the cap off of my RY4 that I make to help it along a bit.
But,, 2 or 3 days, versus 4 weeks? Yeah, it seems to work. There is a thread about it here....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...teeping-times-ultrasonic-cleaner-part-ii.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eeping-times-ultrasonic-cleaner-part-iii.html

Not sure where Part 1 is.

It is said, let a bad juice sit for 4 weeks and try vaping it again. Don't throw out till you try this first.
Some say, leave the cap off for about 24 hours, then cap it, shake it and let it sit,, shake it every few days or more.
NIC will start to degrade doing this, so I say, mix your juices without NIC first and test them, when you get it right, add NIC later
You will have to adjust the falvors a little depending on how much is diluted from adding no flavor NIC base, but shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
Thx, Tepid. I did read 'most' of the sticky. And that is the exact calculator I'm using. I actually have a good understanding for the mixing/ratio part and how the calculator works... I just don't have any ideas yet about the nature of and particular attributes of the flavor concentrates I have... their strengths, their steeping requirements etc... That's all gonna come from experience and listening to the fine folks here on ecf. Right now, I'm gonna take a steeping hiatus for a week or 2, and then see what I have brewing in the cupboard. Maybe they just need time to mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread