Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Im certain its fine to leave it plugged in, but I always unplug mine when not in use. Better safe than sorry. I have been through 2 house fires in my life and at least one was from something being plugged in and wiring shorting out.. (the other the fire department ruled the cause could not be determined)

but I follow the better safe than sorry rule, likely due to watching everything I owned go up in smoke twice.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I do both. Where I charge my batteries only has one wall outlet, and I charge my cell phone and internal battery mods there, too. So sometimes its plugged in and other times its not. I keep an old ceramic tile (non-flamable surface) on the shelf to charge everything on, just like Mooch explains in his video.

Last edited:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
you should also not leave batteries in the charger after they've been charged "especially if the charger is unplugged":

You take me for a dummy, sir? Fie!

Full disclosure: Up to this point, I have not been plugging the charger into either the UPS or a surge protector, and I always unplug after I remove the charged batteries (which I'm mostly compulsive enough to do just before they're fully charged). But the power goes out/surges suddenly and regularly where I live, so I thought I'd better be more careful. It'd be easy enough to plug/unplug if I use my surge protector. The UPS is a little more awkward to reach, and that's why I was wondering whether I could leave the charger plugged in all the time. I probably won't do it, anyway. I don't need more permanently glowing lights in my living room.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I leave mine plugged in all the time. Not sure if that is good or bad, but the charger isn’t exactly the explosive bit so I don’t worry about it.

79RKohOKChSzI9vEIiLMdVY0OFwRFCKO4cd4ERdGYvA.jpg

Are your battery wraps and insulator rings intact?

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I do both. Where I charge my batteries only has one wall outlet, so I also charge my cell phone and internal battery mods there, too. I keep an old ceramic tile (non-flamable surface) on the shelf to charge everything on, just like Mooch explains in his video.

I've been charging on a fireproof surface, just as I was told.

I guess I'll keep unplugging after use, so that means surge protector it is.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I am under the impression that the question was to keep the charger plugged in when not in use. Not to keep the batteries in the charger once they are fully charged.

You are correct. I was wondering about leaving the charger plugged in after I remove the batteries.

Reactions: Opinionated

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You are correct. I was wondering about leaving the charger plugged in after I remove the batteries.

Just wanted to make sure. If it makes you feel more comfortable to unplug your charger when not in use, then do so. I do not unplug mine nor do I unplug other electronics such as my computer, TV or even my stereo which generates a :censored: load more power than a small battery charger. However, I will never dispute those who may have legit reasons, such as concerns of an electrical short causing a fire. We do what makes us feel more comfortable and that can’t be disputed

Will say though, your UPS is also an electronic device that carriers even more of a risk given it also has a volatile battery that is under constant charge while the power is on. I have dealt with UPS failures and they are not nice.

Any piece of electronics can fail and cause a fire. I had a 200 watt power amplifier fail and burn 3 foot hole in my carpet. Ironically, the name of the amplifier was called Ampzilla.

• Agree

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
even though everything in my house is plugged into a surge protector (I don't trust this apartments wiring) I still unplug my chargers when not in use
plus I mean, I know it's probably miniscule but when plugged in it's constantly on/ready so it's using some power....so I'd rather unplug it lmfao the only things that are always on is the kitchen light, my laptop and the router...well and the kids leave the tv on all the time...erm and of course the fridge lmfao

Reactions: Heartsdelight

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't heard of chargers self-destructing but I've definitely heard of them quitting (such as the cheap thing I used to have). So yeah I unplug them when not using.

Since that thread on battery wraps is closed, I'll mention here that's one thing I like about the iStick Pico, the screw-on cover. My EVIC relies on the wrap to avoid shorting as the cell goes in and out and frankly I'm leaving the cell in it and charging it by USB if needed (rarely used anyway).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread