Should I use the battery after a short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptoon

Apr 18, 2013
Miami
Yesterday I replaced my protank head trying to fire it up I noticed it wasn't working and I felt the k100 button getting hot. I immediately stopped pressing the button and took the battery out and saw that some of the red plastic cover melted off a bit and it was pretty hot. I put it to rest and now I don't know whether to use it or not in the future.
The battery in question is an AW 18650 imr.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I wouldn't put it back into that mod until you get the mod repaired!

I had this happen a couple of years ago with a cheap mod. The same thing happened to one of my AW 18650 IMRs: it got very hot and had some melted plastic. I let it cool off and recharged it. To this day, it continues to work just fine. It charges to 4.2 volts and lasts about as long as any of the other AW 18650 IMRs I have in my stable.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I did check the defective mod with my multimeter and determined that it was the cause of the short circuit. I then recharged the battery, which had discharged completely thanks to the short circuit and then checked the voltage after charging with my multimeter before sticking it into a Vamo.

Ryedan is right, though. Sometimes such catastrophes can demolish the battery. Use a multimeter. If you don't have one, you can get a decent one for about $10.00 or less.

neptoon

Apr 18, 2013
Miami
Yes, Same here just a little shrink melted off on the negative end. I have been charging and using the battery now as normal and its performing very well. Seems like the whole scenario didn't damage the battery and it just got overheated a bit and melted the plastic.
I'm on the look out for an ohm tester to be on the safe side next time I get a bad protank head.

My K100 cooked a couple batteries last night and I am wondering what may have caused it. I didn't change a thing on the mod, just changed out the battery. I did put it in backwards though (positive end down instead of up. I tried hitting and the button got hot, so I popped the battery out real fast. I assumed it was due to the reverse position of the battery. I put in another, and same thing. So I inspected the mod, noticed the spring was a little crooked, so I took it out, inspected the end cap and tried another battery. Everything is back to normal, but what the heck? Now I weary of the mod. Could putting the battery in backwards cause a short? I've heard of folks doing this on some mods due to battery size, and assumed it just wasn't a good idea, not that it would short the mod.

One battery's plastic melted a little near the negative end which makes me worry that the exposed metal could cause a short in the future. So this relates to the OP, should I still use it? Has anyone had this problem and covered the battery somehow? I recharged the batteries and they seem fine as far as holding a charge.

Another somewhat related issue that isn't a big deal is that it takes a second for the juice to crackle after firing the button. I have not altered the mod in any way until now (just removing the spring last night). This added to the issue with the battery, since I'm used to waiting a little to get a hit I just thought it wasn't firing for some reason and kept cooking that battery. The second battery didn't cook as long, and so didn't melt before I popped it out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread