Should the atty be touching the blue foam of a 3 piece ecig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsey

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
LAKE ARIEL, PENNSYLVANIA
I kept my bluefoam on the top on my smoke fifty one trio (3 piece).My mistake purchase before i joined ECF and found a better PV. anyways.. I cut a section of spring from an inkpen and put that in the bottom of the cart to create an open space to be filled with liquid and then cut a piece of bluefoam that was short and wider than the opening of the cart. I plugged the top of the cart with the bluefoam by grabbing it in the center with tweezers and pushing it into the top to kinda make it concaved in the center....the only way i could use that overpriced smoke fifty one and be satisfied. Worked great.

Astatine

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
USA
I think that the fact that the blue foam touched the atty is not a problem in itself. However, when there is too much foam, by the time you realize that your cart is full (pooling on top of the foam when you refill with juice), it's too late and you have put too much. As a result you may find that some juice leaks when you put the cart back on the atty and you should have a tendency to flood the atty. I have done that many times :?:

I had to trim the foam so that it is recessed from the top of the cart.

Kelsey

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
LAKE ARIEL, PENNSYLVANIA
indeed, if u have flooding issues try cutting a wider piece that will have to squeeze and compact more to fit into the top of your cart. and as astatine said dont overfill if u can help it. i keep a a metal poker nearby and when i see a little pooling start i poke around the foam and get it to sink in better.

JMC

Apr 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Which way works best for you with the blue foam, one single strip a little shorter than the cup, but a little wider or, twice as long and alittle wider then double fold and insert with cup half full of juice and maybe a drop on top or none, just let soak? Or is the double method for cartos only? I've tried both, sometimes good sometimes not. Harder to draw with the double. could make it thinner. I like the coil suggstion too. This one has to last till I get I think, a riva ego. Is that the same as a riva 510? Does it hold more juice?

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
Riva 510 is a clone of the eGo, there is much debate as to which is better either will work fine for you. as for the foam there are several ways to cut it. You can cut it the same size as the filler that comes in carts or a little wider or even shorter, but never pack it tightly, such as folding it over. The juice will go to the area that is the most compressed, its a capillary action thing, when I was beginning to use carts and moved to foam I started with the foam the same size as the filler, then moved into an A shape with the top the width of the cart and the bottom about 1.5 times the width to make it wick toward the atty better, then moved into a plug style where the foam was about 1/3rd the length of the cart and almost twice as wide. Just play with it you will find a way that works best for you.

The atty will push the foam up into the cart each time you use it, when you refill it make sure the foam is at the end of the cart again so the atty can push it to the right place.

JMC

Apr 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Riva 510 is a clone of the eGo, there is much debate as to which is better either will work fine for you. as for the foam there are several ways to cut it. You can cut it the same size as the filler that comes in carts or a little wider or even shorter, but never pack it tightly, such as folding it over. The juice will go to the area that is the most compressed, its a capillary action thing, when I was beginning to use carts and moved to foam I started with the foam the same size as the filler, then moved into an A shape with the top the width of the cart and the bottom about 1.5 times the width to make it wick toward the atty better, then moved into a plug style where the foam was about 1/3rd the length of the cart and almost twice as wide. Just play with it you will find a way that works best for you.

The atty will push the foam up into the cart each time you use it, when you refill it make sure the foam is at the end of the cart again so the atty can push it to the right place.

When you say: " when you refill it make sure the foam is at the end of the cart again so the atty can push it to the right place" do you mean pull the foam to the top of the filler? Also, I fill it half way, then put the foam in. Then it looks like theres no juice in it and I hardly get a hit. So I add a drop more then its too much. I tried the A shape and it worked good, but like I said, not enough hit. I will try other ways like you said and see what comes of it. I'm wondering if my atty (the first and only one I have with this first new kit) looks right. Theres a fat string of fiber jutting out along side the cone of the atty but not the other side. On that side I can see a small thin string of fiber, but set inside the cone. Is that the norm.?

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If strictlyejuice.com wasn't recently hacked I would send you there to get precut blue foam for 510 carts. They seem fine now and may have upgraded their site:

https://strictlyejuice.com/index.ph...ducts_id=222&zenid=4qbte46p51qer5e4qs98in2n37

The blue foam should be shorter than the inside of the juice cup, just enough wider to stay in place but not so wide the foam holes are pressed closed because that will make it not wick. And tapered on the inner end.

Re shorter - I tend to be cautious and just go with 3/4 the inner depth of the cup. Some people are extreme and go with 1/3 the inner depth of the cup. I also only fill the juice cup 1/2 way. Then I stick the foam in and press the foam down into the juice all the way to wet it. (an unbent smooth paper clip is handy). Then I reposition it at the top edge of the juice cup and top it off with 1-3 drops - whatever it needs to look damp but not a puddle on top.

BTW - after not too long you will probably get sick of carts and switch to cartomizers and/or dripping like most people do. I like Boge cartos (standard resistance because I am using slim batteries. A fat battery model can use standard or LR low resistance)

And yes the atty bridge needs to touch the foam, then the white wick in the atty bridge wicks the juice to the coil

Last edited:

JMC

Apr 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If strictlyejuice.com wasn't recently hacked I would send you there to get precut blue foam for 510 carts. They seem fine now and may have upgraded their site:

https://strictlyejuice.com/index.ph...ducts_id=222&zenid=4qbte46p51qer5e4qs98in2n37

The blue foam should be shorter than the inside of the juice cup, just enough wider to stay in place but not so wide the foam holes are pressed closed because that will make it not wick. And tapered on the inner end.

Re shorter - I tend to be cautious and just go with 3/4 the inner depth of the cup. Some people are extreme and go with 1/3 the inner depth of the cup. I also only fill the juice cup 1/2 way. Then I stick the foam in and press the foam down into the juice all the way to wet it. (an unbent smooth paper clip is handy). Then I reposition it at the top edge of the juice cup and top it off with 1-3 drops - whatever it needs to look damp but not a puddle on top.

BTW - after not too long you will probably get sick of carts and switch to cartomizers and/or dripping like most people do. I like Boge cartos (standard resistance because I am using slim batteries. A fat battery model can use standard or LR low resistance)

And yes the atty bridge needs to touch the foam, then the white wick in the atty bridge wicks the juice to the coil

As Always, thank you dormouse! You have helped me alot on other threads. And yes! I'm sick of carts! Want to get a Riva 510. Is that a fat battery?

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
It sounds like your atty may be getting old and need cleaning. You should get more attys one is never enough it can burn out at any time. You may also want to consider cartomizers they are more consistent and easier to fill. The hit you are looking for may also be a matter of a juice selection, flavor nicotine strength and PG/VG ratio. You will also not get much hit from a flooded atty.
Your atty will normally pop and snap that is good, but if it gurgles, which can sound like popping it is flooded and will not hit well. To tell the difference draw on it without hitting the button if it makes the noise it is flooded and needs to be blown out.

Last edited:

zizzlak

May 23, 2010
TX
When I use the foam I usually use the wider piece and sightly longer than the cartridge. When I refill, I use an un-bent paperclip to push the foam down into the cartridge and refill. Once the liquid is even with the top, I will pull the foam back up to be even with the top. This makes sure the foam is nice and soaked. Then I'll top off with a couple more drops and be on my way. I find this also helps me see when the foam needs to be replaced because it loses it's shape and starts to degrade a bit after heavy usage.

Kelsey

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
LAKE ARIEL, PENNSYLVANIA
Indeed having fibers under the bridge is normal, thats the wick. when you do the plug method that i mentioned in my earlier post you actually leave the bluefoam in that concaved shape--depressed in the center---and it matches up with your bridge on the atomizer --) thats the bridge )--- thats the cart with blue foam on top by cutting a short wider piece and grabbing with tweezers in center of foam, pushing it in the cart until the sides of the foam are jammed in it will have that center depressed look that matches up with the bridge....hope this makes sense...kindof hard to explain...if you want some pics hit me up with a PM and ill get them to you....best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread