Sigelei #19 Tips, tricks, and DON'Ts

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbed1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
CT
Okay Iv read through this thread looking for a was to soften the throw on the switch. Ether its not here or I missed it. If I cut 1 or 2 coils lout of the switch spring will I have less problem pushing it. I got this off the classys and it looks like it has the fat daddy switch in it. My pinkie is not happy right now lol. Oh and its a 19 forgot to say.

disturbed1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
CT
To make the switch spring softer you can torch it for a few secs. It takes some of the tension out. To shorten the throw place an o-ring on the switch post before dropping it in the delrin :)

Hope this helps!

Thank you it does...should I quench the spring or let it air cool?

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
okay problem.... #1 I think its a home made spring
#2 I heated it up and let it cool and now its soft as butter

Can I make it hared again by heating it and quenching it in water?
You probably got the spring too hot. Maybe you can fix it - You can try it, but it may become brittle & break. Making springs is an art - how you heat/cool/quench makes all the difference. If it goes south - just order a "Hot Spring" for a Silver Bullet - they are much softer - or Vaportek has some springs as well, though I've not used theirs:

Hot Spring

I used the SB spring and it required closing up the large end just a bit, but its easy to do - it's a copper alloy and simple to work with. I got mine from Altsmoke:

Silver Bullet/Omega - Replacement Hot Spring - Silver Bullet - Starter Kits - AltSmoke

They look similar to the ones offered by Vaportek, but I'm not positive if they are the same.

Good luck

Last edited:

disturbed1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
CT
You probably got the spring too hot. Maybe you can fix it - You can try it, but it may become brittle & break. Making springs is an art - how you heat/cool/quench makes all the difference. If it goes south - just order a "Hot Spring" for a Silver Bullet - they are much softer - or Vaportek has some springs as well, though I've not used theirs:

Hot Spring

I used the SB spring and it required closing up the large end just a bit, but its easy to do - it's a copper alloy and simple to work with. I got mine from Altsmoke:

Silver Bullet/Omega - Replacement Hot Spring - Silver Bullet - Starter Kits - AltSmoke

They look similar to the ones offered by Vaportek, but I'm not positive if they are the same.

Good luck

Thanks for the links....I found another spring in my pile of do dads down stars and got it to work. It was a steel spring and took a bit to soften it up but I got it working. The first spring was copper and got to hot to fast. Im going to order a had full from altsmoke just to have on hand. Now to familiar with this but...im guessing the spring has nothing to conductivity just switch presser. Right?

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
Thanks for the links....I found another spring in my pile of do dads down stars and got it to work. It was a steel spring and took a bit to soften it up but I got it working. The first spring was copper and got to hot to fast. Im going to order a had full from altsmoke just to have on hand. Now to familiar with this but...im guessing the spring has nothing to conductivity just switch presser. Right?

No, the button & spring are actually part of the circuit on the #19. If you can find a spring made of a brass or copper alloy, you will have less chance of a "hot button" or miss-fire, or even tiny sparks around the switch (all the hot springs are made of better conductive alloys). The steel spring will be OK for a while, but I'd recommend one of the others when you get a chance....they make a noticeable difference, and most have a softer feel as well .

Have fun...

Last edited:

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
@namvet:

I got two SB springs in today (finally), knowing I'd probably ruin one :)

Which way are you inserting the spring, fat side up or down? Any tips on tightening the fat coils without shredding this thing?

Just put the fat side down. You will have to tighten the bottom of the coil up a little - I just took a pair of needle-nose vice-grips to hold the very bottom end of the coil and grabbed it about half-way with another pair of pliers and "tightened up" the coil a little by twisting it.

It's not that difficult to do - the hot springs are pretty malleable, and are easy to work with. You want to maintain a pretty tight contact between the outside of the spring & the sidewalls of the cup the button fits into....thats what transfers the current from the battery to the MOD, so ideally, it should be pretty tight fit for at least one coil of the spring. You don't need to worry much about how it looks - you won't see anything when its assembled, but once you get a feel for how the spring bends, you can't really mess it up much anyway...they bend much easier than the steel springs.

Have fun...

Last edited:

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Just put the fat side down. You will have to tighten the bottom of the coil up a little - I just took a pair of needle-nose vice-grips to hold the very bottom end of the coil and grabbed it about half-way with another pair of pliers and "tightened up" the coil a little by twisting it.

It's not that difficult to do - the hot springs are pretty malleable, and are easy to work with. You want to maintain a pretty tight contact between the outside of the spring & the sidewalls of the cup the button fits into....thats what transfers the current from the battery to the MOD, so ideally, it should be pretty tight fit for at least one coil of the spring. You don't need to worry much about how it looks - you won't see anything when its assembled, but once you get a feel for how the spring bends, you can't really mess it up much anyway...they bend much easier than the steel springs.

Have fun...

Much appreciated NamVet. I destroyed one spring, and got the second to work :) Unfortunately I didn't measure any change in Vdrop (I'm getting .23 on a 6 ohm coil and .33 on a .4 ohm dual either way), and the SB spring made the throw a bit less to my liking. I tried clipping some off and it didn't help much. My soft hands missed the joke of a steel spring :)

Thank you for bearing with me my man

alvapo

Jul 31, 2013
salem, al, USA
100_1072.jpg Ok, time to contribute. I got the fatdaddy's 8w switch set...a) better bottom switch
b) enables me to "kick" the 19 with an 18650 flat top.
100_1068.jpg
You just have to remove the adjustment screw from the head.
I've been lurking this thread since I got the 19 from my KICK ... Brother-in-law. I have a glued switch so, although I tweaked it enough to enjoy it, when I got a kick I never thought about clearance. So I tried buying an extension tube as seen in other posts on here, but I got an 8w 18650 tube from 101vape.
100_1084.jpg
It's not fully threaded.
Decided to buy 8w switch combo after talking with Dennis, from Fatdaddy, on facebook. He told me how close it would be but since I had a spare tube any way I risked it and with that little screw outta the way it closes and covers all the threads. Just wanted to contribute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread