Sigelei Moonshot 22mm & 24mm Compairison and Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Please excuse my poor formatting, hopefully I haven't missed anything, its been years since my last review.

An introduction to the Moonshot (s)

The sigelei Moonshot 22 & 24 are both floating build deck, top filling, bottom airflow rtas, with built in drip tips. Both are extremely cheap at roughly $15 - $20 online, I got my 24mm from a shop for about $30 and the 22mm online for $12.50.

For the most part this review will focus on the construction of the 22mm and how it was improved upon with the release of the updated 24mm version.

Moonshot 22mm

Build Quality

Overall the Sigelei moonshots construction is superb for the devices price point. I have found absolutely no machining defects in either of the tanks that I have, no burs, no flaws in the polishing, nothing. Everything fits together nicely with no crunchy threads. The tank does not leak at all under any normal circumstance as long as it is wicked properly.

Build Deck/Wicking
This is where things get a bit strange... A I mentioned earlier, the moonshots build deck is floating, as in it is not directly attached to the base with the 510 connector . Rather the deck is attached to a brass rod that runs through a hole in the center of the 510. This free spinning rod essentially becomes the positive pin in the 510 connector when fully assembled.

Floating Deck
For obvious reasons the floating deck makes building on this thing a nightmare. The biggest issue is that the whole deck spins around anytime you put pressure against it or attempt to tighten the post screws. After a while you find out there are two options to make things a bit less frustrating. Either pull the deck out completely from the base and build while holding the brass rod, or there is a small hole in the brass rod, a small rod or allen key can be inserted through the airflow holes and through the rod to avoid some of the movement.

Things really don't get easier when you realize that the atomizer is dual coil only and has only two posts, one positive, and one negative. The airflow holes in the deck protrude up over the area where the coil leads are inserted, meaning that the coils have to be bent upwards to get up over the airflow holes and keep the coils from shorting out on the deck. Only having two posts coupled with the protruding air intake holes makes this thing a total ... to figure out at first.

Wicking
If you though the build was hard wait till you try to wick this dumb ......., five tries and an no success later I was looking for the nearest wall to slam my head into. In all reality it is not hard to wick, merely that it has very large juice holes and even a pinprick sized portion of cotton out of place can cause a flooding issue really fast. This however seems to be less of an issue with the 22mm than with the 24mm. All of this is remedied fairly easily by priming the wicks and lightly pushing them against the juice holes from the inside.

Improvements made in the 24mm Version
Although the 24mm version was the first of the two I obtained the differences and improvements are rather useful and noticeable.

Build Deck

The deck remains floating, however the airflow intake slots where lowered and and does not require the coil to be bent upwards at as much of an angle. The 22mm requires roughly a 45 degree upward bend where as the 24mm requires a 15 degree bend. The deck is also somewhat wider and will more easily accommodate exotic coils Wicking on the other hand seems to be a bit more of a challenge on the 24mm likely because of the increased deck size and distance from juice holes.

Size/capacity
The two tanks are almost exactly the same height, though the 22mm versions drip tip is just a hair shorter than the 24mm. Stated Liquid capacities for the moonshot are 2ml for the 22mm and 3ml for the 24mm version. Airflow is somewhat wider at maximum for the 24mm.

Overall/Final Thoughts
Although it may seem contrary to my statements above I really do enjoy my moonshots. The 24mm is currently my everyday use tank. They produce excellent flavor and clouds on par or better than some of my older RDAs. They are built extremely well, Ive had limited issues, and they are cheaper than dirt. I probably would not recommend either tank to most people though, it is very challenging to get right. I'd like to point out that this was not my first rta and I had been building on all kinds of things for years before I got the moonshots. I would only recommend this to truly experienced users that want a rubix cube level challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread