Sigelie coils taste like ebay knock offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Im new to external battery mods but have been vaping for 3 years and I know how to prime a coil with e-juice. I go the extra mile after I prime the coil and let it sit for a minute. Then I fill up the tank put it back together and do not touch it for at least an hour or two just to make sure. I just got my now verified as legit sigelei sobra with the moonshot 120 both of the coils from that taste like those knock off BS eBay fake coils. I started off at a very low wattage and I don't know what's wrong both coils are disgusting. It's not exactly a burnt taste or a dry taste it's like a sour off taste and I can't use them. It also makes me feel like I have something in the back of my throat. What in the heck is going on? Do these coils take awhile to become usable? They're the coils that came with the mod and I verified the mod so I assume the coils are also okay. I even went so far as to try the second coil on a different mod but with the same tank just in case the mod was frying things the very first hit. Can anyone give me an idea of what's going on so I know what I need to do and also if anyone could tell me whether or not the Cascade baby coils will fit in the moonshot 120

Reactions: Diver9543

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Is that a new tank? If it is maybe there's some manufacturing gunk left in the tank. Other than that maybe you just got bad coils. That does happen. Getting 2 out of 2 being bad would be really unlucky though.
Yes it's brand new do you think that's what it is? I would have assumed I had a bunk coil but for two out of two different coils for the same kit to be bad.. that is a bit more of a coincidence than I like to believe in. Is there a way to maybe reduce the horrific taste if it is from the new tank maybe I could just dump the juice out clean it out a little bit

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you are using a temperature control coil in wattage mode. Is it a sour metal taste?
I mean I'm definitely in wattage mode but I'm fairly certain that they are regular coils not temperature control but honestly I don't know they're the sigelei MS coil and the Sigelei MSH coil both of them have wattage ratings.. I can't find anything that says what the hell they're made of... I would describe it as a sour metallic sort of taste and then the back of my throat felt like I had something stuck in it not like I couldn't breathe but just like there was something even though there wasn't. I'm trying to find out like if they are temperature control coils but I really don't know how to do that

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Both MS and MS-H coils are kanthal coils.Not TC compatible.You try to use them at TC..the mod after few seconds will switch to wattage mode.

EDIT:Forget what I said,they are ss316L coils.So they can be used at wattage and TC mode.
So that means that the idea that I was trying to use temperature control coils on wattage mode is not the problem I'm dealing with because these can be used on either and besides I'm using them at wattage. That was kind of a simple solution I'm going to clean the whole thing out tomorrow and see if I can make it better. Thank you for your help

Reactions: greek mule

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yes it's brand new do you think that's what it is? I would have assumed I had a bunk coil but for two out of two different coils for the same kit to be bad.. that is a bit more of a coincidence than I like to believe in. Is there a way to maybe reduce the horrific taste if it is from the new tank maybe I could just dump the juice out clean it out a little bit

Did you wash the tank prior to filling it for use?

How many watts do you have it set at?

Did you start low wattage, and then work your way up in order to break the coil in?

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Did you wash the tank prior to filling it

No I did not wash the tank before I filled it so now I feel silly but at least that should be a pretty easy fix :) and I started out relatively low like at 15 watts and nothing happened I mean it engaged it the mod acted like it was working but nothing really happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread