sigh, dented all my 18650s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
So, I suppose I should have been more careful about tightening my atomizers to my SMPL mod.

Do they make some type of something to help protect your batteries in this sort of mod? I built a insulator with a dime and a plastic washer so the dime would protect the battery tops but it's too thick.

Live and learn. Just won't be able to rock the smpl till I get new batteries.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Sounds like you need to just lay off the roids, kidding aside you shouldn't need to crank it down so tight that you risk denting any kind of battery.

Could you post up some pictures to better explain the issue that drove you to rig up the dime washer deal? I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be needed.

Maurice

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
I honestly didn't think I had it all that tight and didn't even notice until I swapped out to my kayfun and it instantly shorted out due to the 510 portion making contact since the top of the battery was now concaved.

The mod has a hybrid top, its just a 510 threaded hole. The thing I made was a plastic washer I cut from a old credit card, then heat shrinked it together with a dime. It worked but I couldn't get the fire button screwed in deep enough. I don't have a picture but just think a plastic coated metal disk with a 510 hole exposed on the top and a larger exposed hole on the bottom. That way the atomizer has a flat surface to contact and it would probably protect future batteries.

They probably don't make such a thing because most people are smart enough not to over tighten lol, man I'm bummed. I only have 10 amp batteries left undamaged.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
That mod really works best with atties that have fully adjustable positive posts. You want to adjust the post out a mm or two to make sure shorting does not happen.

On some atties that aren't easily adjustable, you can sometimes use an o-ring or two under the positive pin head to move it out.

Good luck,
Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread