The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Sign that should be in all vape shops

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Baditude, Dec 3, 2019.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    [​IMG]

I was reading a discussion today on Face Book of a vape shop being sued because a battery exploded after being put in a pocket. Their insurance carrier got involved and they said they would most likely settle the case because challenging the case in court would take years and end up costing more than settling. The insurance carrier also informed them that they would be dropping them after the case was resolved.

Some comments from the post:

"Anyone have any luck in defending a battery incident? If so who was the attorney? This person put the mod in their pocket."

"Our case was the dude never even bought a battery from us at all but yet still tried to sue us. Cost us some money but not no where near the 480k they wanted. Only thing we paid was lawyer fees."

"We had a similar incident. We got a lawsuit letter. Guy had a battery vent in his pocket. Contacted a ambulance chasing law office. They sent us a letter. We didn't respond. The sent another letter stating they were going to file a lawsuit against out employees if they didn't hear back. We contacted an attorney he advised us to send them our insurance info. They contacted our insurance company. Insurance said they wont paying .... and we havent heard anything else from it in over a year."

"We were in litigation for 2.5 years. Luckily the insurance company covered it."

"Since then we have created a battery safety card that everyone receives and they sign a waiver stating that we went over battery safety and that they received the card. Our insurance companies don't insure batteries for product liability anymore."

"why not sell a battery that is insured HOHMTECH and chip protected."

"that’s all we sell now."

"This sign (pictured above) hangs behind our register and we make them do a waver sheet"

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Don29palms

Don29palms Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    How is a shop responsible for someone's stupidity? A lot of shops I see anymore sell the batteries in containers.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Uncle Willie

Uncle Willie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

You are assuming people read ..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Ambulance chasing lawyers love it when insurance companies are push-overs.

If it were my shop, I'd change the sign a bit. From, "We sell these here" to, "We have them here, if you need one, just ask, you can have one for free with any purchase". Bought in bulk, those cases cost mere pennies and offering to sell them might convey the notion that the shop is exaggerating the risks in order to profit from the sale of those cases.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    It doesn't matter whether you or I think they should be responsible. All that matters is whether a jury/court will hold them responsible.

• Agree Agree x 11
  6. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Shouldn't there also be a mention of customers having some knowledge of ohms law as well?

As how many problems have been caused by folks buying batteries with CDR's way below their needs.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    My considered opinion is: Very few. It's pretty difficult to get a battery to go prompt-critical without a dead short.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Better yet let's get back to adults being held responsible for educating themselves and held responsible for their own actions.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    That's like saying, "I wrecked my car. I'm gonna sue the dealership!"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. brad-man

brad-man Senior Member

Mar 22, 2019
    So Florida
    "Nobody told me not to go swimming..."

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Don29palms

Don29palms Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Yeah I get that but still I don't understand how someone could be so stupid.

12. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Huh? None of the Hohm Tech cells are protected. If they were the wouldn’t fit in our mods.:-x

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    dayum its dark out here and I dont know how much gas is in my spare tank... let me use my lighter to see how much gas I have left... :shock::lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    True @Rossum, they won't really go critical unless a dead short for definite.

But stressing underrated batteries is akin to Russian roulette, but the vaping version.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Lithium cells are wonderful inventions, but the public at large is used to carrying spare AA and AAA cells in their pocket or thrown bare into the glove compartment. Carbon Zinc and Alkaline are much more forgiving.

I agree that lithium cells should be sold with a case and the cell price adjusted to include the cost. Maybe the case should have a printed label inside with caution, use, and care instructions. If the user throws away the warning, at least they had the opportunity to read and understand.

The cells I get through mail order online always come in a case. Bought separately, cheap cases cost about 50 cents each, less in bulk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm just the messenger. (Shrugs shoulders)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Yup, was only directing my comment into the WWW nethersphere. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Agreed. People are used to cells that are more-or-less harmless, and tend to assume that what works for an AA works for an 18650. Then we have the idiots who argue for pulse ratings and the like and give those who don't know better the impression that any safety advice is controversial or over-the-top. And there's the fact that humans are just plain lousy at evaluating risk - if you get away with it once, or fifteen times, it's obviously perfectly safe always and forever.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    It's the American way to fame and fortune. Be stupid, hit the jackpot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Fixed that for you. :)

• Like Like x 3