• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

* SIGN THE PETITION * Canadians Against The Electronic Cigarette Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Hey guys and gals, we are up to 275 signatures!!! That is slower than we all may have hoped but it is still coming along nicely!

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you and I also wanted to talk a bit about the current condition of said "ban" here in Canada. It IS "banned" but it can be a little confusing.

As it stands Health Canada is playing a word game with us. Electronic Cigarettes themselves are not "banned" however e-liquid containing nicotine is.

On one hand they will say "We have not banned anything" but when you decide to use e-cigarettes for your health and decide you will need nicotine to do so is where the line of banning gets blurred.

When a product is new and not illegal but the sale is being restricted or is not yet approved by some sort of alphabet agency it is in all technicality "banned".

E-cig hardware seemed pretty safe as long as it was blank cartos or there was no juice in the order at all... But then look at poor FarmYard's experience with a large shipment of Blank 306 cartos... Was he "safe" for not ordering nicotine? Does it feel to the victims of such circumstances that there is no ban? HC just went ahead and did whatever they wanted anyway!

The fact is not much has changed in the way of press releases, legislation or anything along those lines since you first heard of them. What has changed is Health Canada's actions and they are now making up their own rules as they go along.

Why should I be a "criminal" or have to do a line dance for choosing e-cigarettes instead of the cigarettes (which this government does sell and heavily tax daily) when all I wanted to do was try something I thought looked cool and might be the last desperate straw that could get me off the death sticks? I shouldn't.

So that is the reason I started this petition, because I see a complete and total ban if we let them push us around and tell us what to do. So what if it contains Nicotine?! Would Health Canada seriously tell me to get cancer or set myself up for failure??? Well right now they ARE with their 0 nic policy.

I won't say 0 nic is totally benign, it is an awesome goal and can have some of the best flavors in the market because there isn't any nicotine to mess it up.. But, if you are like me and struggle with your nicotine addiction it is not so useful for the time being.

I hope that clears everything up guys! And here's one on me for signing and protecting our rights! :toast:

AlbertaClipper

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Ponoka, Alberta
I really IS very frustrating. I see a time in the future when I'll possibly be 0 nic but will want to vape nonetheless. I see no reason whatsoever why the hardware should be given a hard time!

It might even be positive if Big Tobacco and Big Pharma would support vaping and the gov't taxed the snot out of it (which I don't want BTW). At least it would be accessible and more acceptable publicly....but don't ban the stuff outright. It didn't work for Prohibition in the '20s, and it won't work here because we WILL find a way to keep doing it.

Razorclaw

Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Don't like to play Devil's advocate but do you guys really think this petition is going to make any difference in such a personal freedom oppressed country like Canada? Even with a million signatures, I doubt anyone in power will even give us the time of day so 1000 is kinda hilarious. Unless something drastic happens, things will most likely remain the same.

Our best bet is to introduce ecigs to everyone and anyone we know that smokes and have them convert others. This step is perhaps already rolling so what we need now is for the Canadians suppliers to not be so greedy. They need to bring their prices down to match those of the US and China. Prices for anything ecigs here are RIDICULOUSLY high. $29.99 Ego/Riva starter kits in the US compared to $89.99 + tax for the same here. If that's not a Ripoff, I don't know what is.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Well Razorclaw I agree and disagree. To explain;

This petition may not do anything, but it is at least better to try. Laying down and letting HC dictate to me is the last thing I am willing to do and I think we can all agree that we really don't have a huge issue getting products in but there is a slight chance of them being seized.

The petition is to stop the confiscation of products when ordered from OOC, so the issue of supply and demand/ pricing of suppliers in Canada has only a small connection. If we can get HC to back off at all it makes it easier and less of a risk for everyone as well.

As for spreading the word, that is something I hope everyone does and is passing along already. A simple petition is not much of anything unless there is passive resistance and education being spread and demonstrated in tandem with it.

At very least, I can show HC there is 1000 real people with names that they are giving a hard time for no good reason other than they want testing.

thinblueline36

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
Petition signed.

Even if hardcore bans go through, it doesn't matter. You can't kill an idea. Anybody can make a PV using $15 - $20 worth of parts from an electronic store. The atty's a bit trickier, but it can be done and there are a few youtube vids showing how to do it. Juice banned? Well, if zero nic is okay, vg from any health store and flavours from grocery stores and candy making suppliers...so that just leaves nicotine. Gotta have your nic? Fine. Soak Snus in VG or PG and nic will leach into the juice. True, you'll have to learn to love the taste of Snus juice, but it's still 10,000 times better than ever lighting up another cigarette.

They will never take my vape away.

TBL36

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Petition signed.

Even if hardcore bans go through, it doesn't matter. You can't kill an idea. Anybody can make a PV using $15 - $20 worth of parts from an electronic store. The atty's a bit trickier, but it can be done and there are a few youtube vids showing how to do it. Juice banned? Well, if zero nic is okay, vg from any health store and flavours from grocery stores and candy making suppliers...so that just leaves nicotine. Gotta have your nic? Fine. Soak Snus in VG or PG and nic will leach into the juice. True, you'll have to learn to love the taste of Snus juice, but it's still 10,000 times better than ever lighting up another cigarette.

They will never take my vape away.

TBL36

Very true. I am a huge advocate of DIY Hardware and juices. I already have threads, batteries and home made mods and making juice from SNUS isn't perfect but it is possible. I don't think a strict ban will truly stop any hardcore vaper, but it does make "deviants" or "criminals" out of good people depending on how far it goes.

heXy

ECF Veteran
  • Feb 11, 2011
    Brampton
    I understand the desire of the govt and tobacco companies wanting to protect their revenue streams, but I'm not going to support it. If I need to become a criminal to quit using cigarettes then so be it, I'll be a criminal.

I'm thinking the exact same thing about revenue loss promoting a lot of internal fears over this device. But at this point I can say that the PV has already taken my smoking routine and completely changed it. And I don't feel the need at all to light up a cigarette what-so-ever. Would I miss vaping? Yes, but would I ever buy another pack of analogs? No...

So if they want to take this away, that's a bummer for sure, but just to spite their stupidity, I will NOT buy analogs. So the sales are lost anyhow IMO.

So on that note, what difference does it make to "them" where I'm spending my money?

Signed the petition, it appears we as Canadians are even apathetic in the cyber world. That was my first time at that site and I must say they had some good petitions going around, all with very low numbers of signatures, unfortunately. Even worse a petition concerning keeping Ed the Sock on television (whatever) is the 9th most signed petition. WTF

Razorclaw

Feb 20, 2011
    Canada
    The problem is because most Canadians don't even know what a PV is. Only a tiny percentage of us have even heard about the electronic cigarette and in their minds they think it is some sort of gimmick created for nerds and weirdos. They are uneducated due to the government ban. If just 25% of all smokers know about this, we'd have a 100,000 signature petition within days. Right now, it's probably like half of a percent maybe.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    www.madpro.ca
    I just went to open the link at the bottom of the first post and it was pop up city and my virus scanner blocked out a problem (win 32:dropper and it redirected me to another site). I am not a facebook person. so a little leary about opening that link again. I know I have run spyware and virus scans regularly, so that's not an issue. I actually have everything being scanned, overkill maybe but.. thought I should mention it at least

I believe it was from the forum itself tbh. I opened a browser manually and typed the address in and was fine

Last edited:

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2009
    IL USA
    I believe it was from the forum itself tbh. I opened a browser manually and typed the address in and was fine

That is not the case. There is nothing on the forum that would cause this. I am running a firewall with very tight security and most advanced malware/antivirus etc etc........ There is no issue with this link or the forum. You will, on occasion, yet a false positive, although I have not experienced it on the forum, or with this link in particular.

heXy

ECF Veteran
  • Feb 11, 2011
    Brampton
    It could potentially be spyware that infected your system earlier Pipeous, as spyware will hijack any link that you happen to click on and attempt to re-direct you. If you need some guidance feel free to e-mail me for some software suggestions as I used to work as 2nd Tier Tech Support for an ISP.

That is the case in this situation... I deal with removing these mal/adware types all the time...

Ad-Aware free by Lavasoft - Great removal tool for mal/ad/spy ware. Can be setup to have realtime scanning disabled so as not to hog your resources.

Trendmicro's Housecall - Free antivirus, also very good... It's a manual scanner that does not run in the background.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread