Silica wick VS Cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Silica's a pita imo , much easier to build a micro coil then pinch and thread some cotton through the coil , ( not too tight or too loose) snip to suit , prime with a few drops of juice and your good to go .

'Peaches and Cream' or 'Sugar and Cream' yarn is also excellent for wicks , same diameter and easy to pull one strand out if need be , excellent flavor as well.

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I'm definitely looking forward to wrapping my own coils and experimenting since I'm a tinkerer but I was thinking of buying a 50 pck since they are dirt cheap just as a starting point. I have plans to buy 50ft of kanthal wire and a bunch of silica and cotton and toying with them both since its all fairly cheap in the long run.

Also I was considering buying a dripping atomizer a bit further down the line when I'm used to wrapping coils, for that I probably should be using cotton over silica correct?

I would , i bought premade wicks before i started wrapping and found i don't even use them , very very easy to wrap your own.

screwball

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
Qtown
Silica's a pita imo , much easier to build a micro coil then pinch and thread some cotton through the coil , ( not too tight or too loose) snip to suit , prime with a few drops of juice and your good to go .

'Peaches and Cream' or 'Sugar and Cream' yarn is also excellent for wicks , same diameter and easy to pull one strand out if need be , excellent flavor as well.

Videos I've watched about building coils doesn't make cotton look to difficult to thread through if you twist it

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
Wicking material is just preference, really. I prefer cotton. You can buy it in bulk very cheep just about anywhere and it allows you to re-wick without having to re-coil. Just pull out the old cotton, dry burn, insert new cotton and you're good to go. You can't do that with silica.

Wrapping coils isn't hard. Watch a few youtube videos and you'll be wrapping like a pro in no time. Just remember safety - check the resistance and your battery limitations.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Silica is cleaner tasting to me. I still taste the cotton after boiling 5 times. Quite frankly, 2 bucks for a lifetime supply of Peaches and Cream at Wally World and 10 bucks for 30 feet of 3mm Silica at Lightning Vapes. Basically 12 bucks for all the cotton or Silica I will probably use. Then I can switch as needed.

Use both. Grab a dripper for 15 bucks and make up one of each.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've decided to buy a MVP and a RBA and was wondering what the pros and cons of silica vs cotton are.
also are Fast Techs prebuilt coils and wicks worth buying or should I just wrap my own?

Silica wick:
- can be dry burned clean; it does not burn.

Cotton wick:
- you can rewick with cotton without recoiling;
- better wicking
- easy availability.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If I were to get cotton like that from walmart I would have to boil it a crap ton wont I?

I just drop a cotton ball in a teacup of water and zap in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes;
just in case theres any bleach or such chemicals in the cotton.

Alot of people don't bother boiling their cotton.

Bryong70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
DFW

CloudPusher

May 28, 2014
DeFunik Springs, FL, USA
Wicking material is just preference, really. I prefer cotton. You can buy it in bulk very cheep just about anywhere and it allows you to re-wick without having to re-coil. Just pull out the old cotton, dry burn, insert new cotton and you're good to go. You can't do that with silica.

Wrapping coils isn't hard. Watch a few youtube videos and you'll be wrapping like a pro in no time. Just remember safety - check the resistance and your battery limitations.

Not if you are vapeing a thicker liquid. I found that out the hard way when i was at a freinds house without rebuilding supplies. I was vapeing a coffee variant and it gunked up pretty bad after a day and a half of building it. I could not get the cotton off no matter what i tried, without breaking the coil.

Last edited:

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I've yet to be able to remove a cotton wick. Sometimes it's more difficult than others though. I always take a pair of scissors and snip the cotton as close to the coil as possible and then pull it through. I even had to run it under water once and then the cotton came right out. Dried everything off - dry burned - re-wicked - reassembled - filled and was good to go.

MikeMills

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
SoCal OC
I even had to run it under water once and then the cotton came right out. Dried everything off - dry burned - re-wicked - reassembled - filled and was good to go.

I always run water on my atty's before re-wicking them.
Gets rid of the juice and makes removal real easy.

I like cotton.

CloudPusher

May 28, 2014
DeFunik Springs, FL, USA
I've yet to be able to remove a cotton wick. Sometimes it's more difficult than others though. I always take a pair of scissors and snip the cotton as close to the coil as possible and then pull it through. I even had to run it under water once and then the cotton came right out. Dried everything off - dry burned - re-wicked - reassembled - filled and was good to go.

Well i tried all of the above and i could not get it loose. I've had it happen to me a couple time's actually(both with pre-wraped micro coils). The other time the coil just broak. I use 26 guage Kanthal now but haven't used it with cotton yet

CharliesTheMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Louisiana

It probably has a lot to do with the setup, but in my Kayfun Lite I use organic cotton and pull it through, assuming it's not burnt. Also in my RDA's, both using a standard microcoil at 1/16 or 5/64. My wicks are twisted from boiled organic cotton balls, and either about 3/8 to 1/2 inch I'd guess on each side of the coil for the KFun and RDA's vary.

I wonder if I'm wrapping mine too loose since I can pull the cotton out, although it takes a lil working back and fourth a bit sometimes to uncatch it if there's a bulge at the edge to get past.

Ohhhh I wonder if it's because I use 28 guage, or smaller coils. What kind of coils and wire size are you using? I'm wondering if I'm wrapping mine too lose, but now that I think about it I don't think I could get much more cotton in there and still pull it through.

Sorry for so many different questions but I've only been building a few months and trial and error with cotton fairly often only to return to "old faithful" because the new wick style I'll be testing either burns or doesn't breathe, etc.

Last edited:

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
I thought I would hate a kayfun....LOVE 'EM...... thought I would have a dripper when I was old enough to wear diapers again to justify carrying around a bottle...got one LOVE IT!!!! Just try everything! Everyone will have different preferences but thousands can't be wrong either so just try 'em all! With the cheap prices and the money saved on cigarettes I'm coming out about the same so far. I've gotten almost a dozen mods as well as a couple of vv/vw's and atomizers coming out the wazoo. Still finding my exact loves and hates but I'm having so much fun doing it!

Buy kanthol in every size and try all of them with every type of wicking you want to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread