The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Single coil/dual coil 24g khantal sub ohm

Discussion in 'Sub-Ohm' started by PHPuff, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PHPuff

PHPuff Full Member

Sep 6, 2012
    philippines
    I ran out of 28g khantal wires and i only have 24gs left, how many wraps should I roll on a 3mm/2.4mm screw drivers to get a decent sub ohm with good flavor.

Btw im using a vertex v1 atty and a mech box mod that holds 2 18650 vtc 4s,

2. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends on what resistance you want to have. Here's the Steam Engine coil building calculator. It's what I use and if you enter the correct info, it will do a good job for you. Always double check with a ohm meter though.

3. Wraith504

Wraith504 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I can never manage to get the .3xxx wrap of a coil LOL

4. Ryedan

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear ya Wraith! The 'rounded to "half wraps" ' numbers solve that for me, LOL.

It's a great coil design tool though. Get a handle on the heat flux and heat capacity concepts and it's even better. Sure beats me having to try a few different actual setups when I do something different :)

5. vibaka

vibaka Full Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Mississippi
    Hey great tool there. Can't believe I haven't seen this. Thanks!

6. Ryedan

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    You're welcome. Check out all the calculators on the site. I've used them all except for the e-liquid mixing calc and they all work very well :thumb:

7. Mikokawibawa

Mikokawibawa Full Member

May 31, 2014
    Indonesia
    I think 6 wraps dual will do

miko

8. arc323

arc323 Full Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Denver, CO
    I do a 5/4 wrap around a 1.8 mm screwdriver and get really good results. I also just did a 5/4 dual coil parallel build using 24g kanthal and i love it! Big clouds and amazing flavor. If you have enough space on your deck do the parallel build and you'll be happy.

9. Bman123

Bman123 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 16, 2014
    Akron Ohio
    Do 6 wraps on a 1/8th inch drill bit for a .25 ohm dual coil with 24g kanthal. That's all I use now, great flavor and vapor

10. WilsonPhillips

WilsonPhillips Senior Member

Feb 26, 2015
    The half wraps feature is good. The heat flux capacity is just what I was looking for. Just shooting for a specific ohm doesn't quite cut it. Trying different gauge/wraps to get that fire icon in the green is going to get us the clouds/flavor/warmth that we are aiming for with fewer attempts. Definitely have to bookmark that one.

I can see that I cannot settle for having a couple of gauge wire spools sitting around. I need a spool of each gauge to get that perfect setup each and every time. I got my first RDA (Aeolus) Monday and I have tried 5 different builds so far and still not hitting the sweet spot. :facepalm: Now, I know just what was wrong.

11. Ryedan

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Glad you found it Wilson :). I set up between 360 and 400 mW/mm² and that is in the red zone. It does not give me burnt hits in the RBAs I use which have open air flow for the lung hits I do. My two favorite setups are both dual coils, the first at 0.35 ohms using 27 gauge Kanthal and the second at 0.20 ohms using 24 guage in a Mutation X RDA. The second is actually a cooler vape than the first even though there is more power in the atty.

I don't need more than the 24 and 27 gauge Kanthal, but I mostly just do simple single strand, round wire, dual coil builds in RDAs. I am using mechanical mods so I have no way to adjust the power without making new coils, but this is good enough for me.

Good luck in finding that sweet spot. Let us know how it goes :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.