The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Single coiler for testing flavors

Discussion in 'RDA' started by hildicat, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. hildicat

hildicat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    SoCal
    I use the Zeus single as my daily driver (many in rotation) and am looking for a single coil RDA for use as a juice tester. Hoping for something that will accommodate the same build I use in the Zeus and have similar airflow to best approximate the experience. I've narrowed it down to the Recurve but would love to hear some other opinions before I take the plunge.

For reference, I use the Zeus with a 5 wrap coil, 3x26 fused clapton, 4mm ID, 0.25 ohms at around 43 watts.

I understand that I may have to drop the coil diameter for the Recurve, but what has me considering it is it's air hitting the coil from both sides as well as some from the bottom. Seems quite similar to what's going on in the Zeus single.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    There’s a bunch that will work. Basically any velocity deck will take single or dual coil for example. If you want a dedicated single coil the pulse comes to mind

• Like Like x 1
  3. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    Wasp Nano and Nudge 22 BF may work for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    I would say the wasp nano too,but depending on the build,and the draw you could get quite a bit of spit back. The Dead Rabbit would be perfect.

EDIT: The RDA I use is something you can't find anyone and have to do a couple fxes on it. The black widow 22mm RDA. I removed the turbine and also removed the ceramic cup in the bottom so It can take bigger builds. It works good for a flavor testing RDA though.

5. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    Yeah, I had some spitting with the Nano when I over-squonked so some care is needed.

I have a Dead Rabbit SQ, but can't seem to get the right build on it. It's just not giving me the flavor like the Nano and the Nudge 22. Certainly lacking when compared to the Hadaly and Stumpys I have - but, admittedly, those are small RDAs better suited to simple single-wire coils.

6. t8kiteasy

t8kiteasy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    That's why I posted the edit about the black widow RDA which I use. You can find them still not in quantities but single seller. It does do a good job flavor testing. But the problem you run into,smaller RDA testing the juice will not taste the same on a larger RDA unless they are similar.

7. hildicat

Dec 28, 2011
    SoCal
    The airflow seems fundamentally different on the wasp and nudge, they are missing the bottom air, no?

8. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    You are correct, and if that is a must, then they are probably are not for you. Sorry :(

I mentioned those because though they lack bottom airflow, both are still more open, and will accommodate larger wire (like claptons) than some of the popular single-coil RDAs like the Stumpy, Hadaly, and Entheon - which IMO are better suited to single wire coils and lower wattage vaping.

Unfortunately, it may be difficult for you to find an RDA that checks all of your boxes, with the bottom airflow like the Zeus.

9. hildicat

Dec 28, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks so much for your input. Wondering if anyone with first hand recurve experience has an opinion. Would be awesome to hear from anyone that owns the Zeus single as well as a recurve.

10. Mysteron

Mysteron Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2018
    Land of Smiles
    I have the Recurve. Superb IMO. I posted a few comments in the 'Wotofo Recurve RDA' thread so won't repeat them here. It's great for testing flavours IMO as it picks up the change in juice instantly. Great airflow too. Well worth a look. I now use this in preference to my dual coil RDAs.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.