Single coils awesomeness double coil flop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rebuilt my Magma clone with a 1.5 ohm single coil build with Kanthal A-1 28 GA. I formerly had a 2.3 ohm coil with kanthal a1 it had way more surface area but it also took longer to heat. the 1.5 ohm coil heats almost instantly and put off a way bigger plume of vapor. i used the same juice as before and the flavor is way better as well. I lined up the ring to the middle air hole and so far it works great !! I wonder what a single coil 1 ohm build would be like seeing how I can only go down to .9 ohms this things rocks now the Magma its putting out huge flavor I originally had it set at 15 watts I had to turn it down to 13 it was putting to much off and I was getting a slight burnt flavor . I am wondering what other builds would be good for me . I cant seem to figure out a good double coil configuration that will put off a real good amount of vapor maybe the MVP20 W does nt have the balls to heat two coils but it should if I build it right ? Right? What should I do about the double coil it should put off double the vapor and flavor any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Remi Love

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
I'm rocking mine with RiP's suggested build of 1.2 on 28. I like it at 18W or so with either the largest single hole or both middle holes open. I'm currently trying it on the smallest single hole at 12W and it's a really, really nice setup for mouth to lung inhales. I think my wife might even like it. It's becoming my guinea pig for my Erl-clone-again coils. It's just easier to build and try coils on the Magma. The 1.2 just heats up quick. It's almost clearo quick. I like that; hit button, receive vapor.

I've not tried to make a lower wattage setup for duals. Looking at steam-engine, I would think that a 1.2 build on 30 would be too cool of a vape and have poor production. Dual 32s look like they might work. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators (I can't get the link function to work, sorry.) But I don't know that I would want to commit to any quantity of 32 gauge wire for a purchse.:unsure: Unless you have a place that will sell you a couple of feet.

If you can stretch to a 30W device, you have way more options. I'm running a dual setup in one of my tanks that I adore. It's a .6 build. 3mm ID, 5 wraps. Vapes like a boss between 22-28W. Really thick, almost chewy vapor that's just the right warmth.

@Jay: I love the twisted coils idea. My erl clone has a 1 ohm dual-twisted 30 ga setup in it now. It's nice, but power hungry. It vapes rather unremarkably at anything below 24W. at 26-28 she's just about perfect. I just want a good 12-15W setup for just vaping while I'm out and about. Gotta keep that batttery life. 45W vaping all day on my Aqua is a bit hard on the batteries, lol. Next build in the ErlC will be a 1.2 28ga single or a 1.4ish 30 ga build for on the wife's ego. (Yes, I found the spec sheet for it and all is well within amp draw, impedance and voltage specs.)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I've never yet vaped a dual coil ANYTHING that I thought was worth a flip. It's either too hot, or it changes the flavor drastically and definitely not for the better. It takes more airflow to keep it cool, so it's like tryng to smoke a straw. It runs batteries down faster. My opinion, basically, is that dual coils SUCK. Loudly and with great vigor.

Andria

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I've never yet vaped a dual coil ANYTHING that I thought was worth a flip. It's either too hot, or it changes the flavor drastically and definitely not for the better. It takes more airflow to keep it cool, so it's like tryng to smoke a straw. It runs batteries down faster. My opinion, basically, is that dual coils SUCK. Loudly and with great vigor.

Andria
I agree with this Andria! With much vigor! LOL! Ive tried dual coils a couple of times. It wasn't for me. My builds were solid and wicked great. I just didn't care for the air flow I had to have nor the heat. My 1.0 to 1.3 single coils are just fine by me!

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Lately I rock single coils at around 1.2ohms on my mechs. On my hana clone (30w) I do 1.2-1.6 single in my veritas.
I used my tobh alot up until recently - I'd just build 2 1.4ohm coils and clock in at about .8ohms and it would work great! I generally keep my voltage between 4v and 4.4v on my 30w mod. I wrap with 28ga kanthal most of the time, lately around a 7/64 with JC or 3/32 for 3mm readyxwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread