single or dual 18650 for first mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesuslizard36

Aug 26, 2015
If you are new to mech mods I would honestly just stick with 1 for now. You also should know a bit about Ohms law and how electrical currents work. Why do I say this? Well I will tell you why. Most all these batteries we are putting into our devices are IMR Lipo batteries. Allot of people out there do not even think twice about A charging there IMR Lipos B They were not so much even explained the risks of them when they bought there device. C Most vape shops out there even they have no clue what so ever just how dangerous they CAN become IF not handled properly.
I have learned allot about Lipos just through being around the Remote Control Scene. When you put two Lipo batteries directly on top of one another you are now turning two single cell Lipos into a two cell Lipo. Now when you do this no one really knows just how much of a draw is coming out of which battery. Lipos are not like a regular Nickel cad batteries they can and WILL become extremely un stable if they do not have extremely close power between the two batteries which is EXACTLY where these problems come from. Just like it is a VERY good practice to keep a very close eye on these devices while charging them.
If you still do not believe me look up on You tube: Lipo fire in garage What it all comes down to is iresponsible handling as well as people just not caring about these dangers. With proper precauction on your part as well as some research into this on your part you should be more than fine but know the risks.

I have seen videos of it. it's crazy. made me a lot more aware of just how dangerous my batteries can be. cheers for the information. really appreciate it.

jesuslizard36

Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for all the information guys. it's been really helpful. I probably will buy a mech some time soon. probably just a single for now. because it's something i want to learn about. along with coils builds etc. I mean i already know how to build my own coils and was using RDA's for a long time before i got my sub ohm tank. But i want to explore it further with more RDA's and coil builds. I think i didn't articulate myself very well before when trying to explain my motivations. For me it's all about finding that perfect vaping experience. Or discovering new ones. I remember buying my first APV, a IPV2 with a Kanger Subtank mini. that thing blew my socks off at 20 watts compared to my basic ego twist. It was almost to much for me. Then i started using RDA's and wow, so much better. Then i messed around with different RTA's trying to find a set up i liked and learning new tips and tricks along the way. Now im using a sense Herakles and a Smok tfv4 on my Sigelei tc and am very happy with them. But that desire to search and experiment will never end when it comes to vaping.

I understand the frustration people may feel when they come across the post like mine," here's another idiot who doesn't know anything about X subject. probably going to hurt himself or do something stupid." But if it puts some minds to rest i think a good way of putting it is, I KNOW HOW MUCH I DON'T KNOW. I know the subjects i need to learn, iv skimed over them etc. i just need to actually learn these things off by heart. This thread was just a way for me to chat to people and have some real life, experienced people tell me some information. it's not like i think that's all i need to know. I could have not posted it and saved looking ignorant by searching something so basic but i wanted to try this forum out as i plan to become further engaged with the community here.

Thanks EVERYONE for sharing your thoughts with me so far. I do take what you have to say seriously. And iv already learned a couple of basic facts today which will be of use to me.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
cheers. thats useful to know thank you.
I love me some mech. I'm vaping one right now, a MMV Nanos topped with a Wotofo Sapor, and I'm alternating flavors with a MMV Poldiac topped with a CoV Aris Pro-- yes, lol, I like 1-battery tube mechs-- but both drippers are built for flavor, not cloud, and are coiled .5 ohms. I get good cloud anyway, if not a contest winner, but enough to fog out my room. Even so, they only make about 35 watts and draw 8 amps current. The bottom line on it is, if you want tall power, a regulated box (with good batteries, please {shudder}) is the way to go. There's just more power available and they're a lot safer. When I want to blow cloud, I crank up a 200 Watt Snow Wolf box, topped with a Fishbone coiled .3 ohms, and set it to 70-80 Watts. Just my opinion, but that's the way to go. If you decide to go mech, bear in mind getting one dialed in can be frustrating. You're limited to whatever voltage your battery makes at its charge state and the only way you can adjust Watts is to change coils. Buy yourself a Nemesis clone and a Dark Horse clone with both a 510 drip tip and a chuff cap--25 or 30 bucks total-- and play with them a while to see if you like fiddling with it before blowing a couple hundred on a top quality authentic tube is my advice. And buy good batteries! Sony VTC4s or LG HB6s for preference. Mechs have no protection except what lies between your ears. Good batteries are cheap insurance. Never know when your coil will fail short or you'll get a stuck button or something. Good luck and stay safe.

jesuslizard36

Aug 26, 2015
Hello and welcome to the forum @opiumfiend. Glad to have you here!:)

When using a mechanical and considering how low you can build you need to give yourself some headroom. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A battery (like the Samsung 25r), that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.4Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A battery may only be a 10A battery."

With a 30A battery (like the LG HB6), 0.28Ω is the lowest I would build.

======

I highly recommend you spend some time with @Baditude & @Mooch (two of our resident battery/safety experts) and visit their blogs. When using a mechanical mod you will be 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Here are links to some of Mooch's blogs:
And several links to Baditude's Blog - Table of Contents: The blogs that address battery safety, Ohm's Law, CDR (continuous discharge rating/Amps) and how they all work together are detailed below:

BATTERIES

Battery Basics for Mods - The Ultimate Battery Guide
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

Now that's what im talking about. thank you so much :)

Reactions: Susan~S

jesuslizard36

Aug 26, 2015
I love me some mech. I'm vaping one right now, a MMV Nanos topped with a Wotofo Sapor, and I'm alternating flavors with a MMV Poldiac topped with a CoV Aris Pro-- yes, lol, I like 1-battery tube mechs-- but both drippers are built for flavor, not cloud, and are coiled .5 ohms. I get good cloud anyway, if not a contest winner, but enough to fog out my room. Even so, they only make about 35 watts and draw 8 amps current. The bottom line on it is, if you want tall power, a regulated box (with good batteries, please {shudder}) is the way to go. There's just more power available and they're a lot safer. When I want to blow cloud, I crank up a 200 Watt Snow Wolf box, topped with a Fishbone coiled .3 ohms, and set it to 70-80 Watts. Just my opinion, but that's the way to go. If you decide to go mech, bear in mind getting one dialed in can be frustrating. You're limited to whatever voltage your battery makes at its charge state and the only way you can adjust Watts is to change coils. Buy yourself a Nemesis clone and a Dark Horse clone with both a 510 drip tip and a chuff cap--25 or 30 bucks total-- and play with them a while to see if you like fiddling with it before blowing a couple hundred on a top quality authentic tube is my advice. And buy good batteries! Sony VTC4s or LG HB6s for preference. Mechs have no protection except what lies between your ears. Good batteries are cheap insurance. Never know when your coil will fail short or you'll get a stuck button or something. Good luck and stay safe.

The fish bone is on my list actually. The..V3 from memory i think. Because it's got the larger post holes. I was just going to buy it for novelty at first but based on what iv read it actually appears to be pretty good. Pretty much a Kennedy in some regards. Iv got good LGs and Sonys to. And yes i can imagine the frustration of trying to set it up. The local vape shop here is pretty poorly stocked and overpriced but the people real helpful and although some of them know next to nothing about vaping some are really knowledgeable so i will probably take it in there and get some help from them over a coffee.

I am a fan of clouds and i think expanding my coil building skills, which are pretty poor at the moment is the way to go. Iv mostly just worked with 24 gauge and claptons. Got all the other gauges there so i should work with them more. get some nice builds going.

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
I think the reasons i gave above were pretty reasonable to be honest. I like the variety of design plus i want to become proficient in everything vaping it's something that makes me happy and is important to me. I think i explained it pretty well.i find been quoted as "cause they sorta look cool" as a bit condescending to be honest. why does everyone here buy half the .... they own?. but no big deal.

I am well aware of the dangers of mech mods. I am aware that i know pretty much nothing about them. As i said, i intend to learn more about them before i actually use one and fire them up. I just made this thread because im new to EFC and felt like posting something,anything. I put a question out there and a few people offered some interesting information and tips on what to learn and where to find some valuable resources.so thank you to everyone for has been helpful. that's all i want. nothing wrong in giving me tips and advice. iv already learned something from this thread so mission accomplished i guess :)

I think people are making assumptions that because im posted something which clearly shows my ignorance on the topic that im not going to learn more about them or that im just going to fire one up with the same level of knowledge i have more, or that i wont educate myself anymore. No, i joined EFC last night and felt like posting something so i posted about something i know nothing about so i could get some information from real people rather then just an article or youtube video. just as a way to interact with the community. I could have learned anything iv learned today through google and spared looking ignorant. but as i said i wanted to interact with real people and i would rather be honest in my knowledge then play off knowing more then i do to spare my ego.
try not to get .... hurt, I'm sure they mean well. Nothing wrong with being ignorant, as long as you accept it. We all were at one point. Safety issues aside,I still prefer VW to mech mods. But yeah... Make sure you have, and use an ohm meter. Always do calculations at full voltage, since that will be your highest power/current draw. Follow Susans advice, and give yourself a good safety margin. If, when using it, you feel it getting warm, unscrew the cap to break the circuit( safety first) and left it rest for a while. Though that is true with any mod, mech just doesn't have any protective circuitry so you gotta be extra cautious. Seriously, answer these two questions yourself before you use it...
1. How much power (amps, and watts) can MY battery handle?
2. How much power is THIS build going to use(amps and watts)?
btw,I always used the Samsung 25r.
bubsmash, your comment lipo is a lipo is entirely irrelevant. Like mooch said, we are not talking about lipo batteries. Those are only used in the disruptor, and mods with built in batteries, no one is using them in a mod. We use lithium ion batteries, of which lipo is a subclass. Not the other way around. Lipo is li-ion but li-ion is not a lipo

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well that is all I was getting at and with some of these knock off mods I still beg to differ on differences between how much power is being pulled from one battery directly going into the next. Test it out for yourself if you do not believe me. Get a proper voltmeter out and test one battery to the next. I run a Sigelei 150 TC and your right they are not in series they are paralell to one another but I do notice when it comes to charging time the one battery is always a bit more dead than the other and because I have seen with what I have saw first hand I always swap around my batteries every time they are charged so my batteries in turn get close to the same draw. That is the biggest problem out there people just taking crap for granted and not being careful. Same as ones smart phone. YES the make up of the cells and pack I understand are different but that is all that is different. A Lipo is a lipo it does not matter how the pack is made up precauction still has to be taken. Like I say I personally have seen stuff happen and until a person experiences it first hand they either just do not care or they do not know of the possible dangers they can have if they are not handled properly.

I think there had been some confusion between us. I was agreeing with you regarding the different current draw from each battery of a paralleled pair. I've been testing and characterizing batteries for about 23 years now. :) But, the cause for that difference is more due to the difference in each battery's internal resistance and capacity rather than being in a particular battery sled position.

I agree, all batteries should be handled with respect and care. Whether they are LiPo/ICR, IMR, or INR.

Bubsmash

Nov 22, 2015
    Well I am not against mech mods what I am against is new vapers thinking they can just jump right into a mech mod without proper research. Lithium Ion batteries still have a danger to them. Yes for your more confusions point of view yes the flash point between a lithium Ion to say my 2 cell Lipo is different. I never wanted to get into this but here goes. I was working with a guy and He was charging his LG Phone in his truck. Weather was around 45 below grabbed his phone unplugged it and jumped out with it into the cold as He was texting away He was out in the cold for about 2 minutes and the back casing and his battery blew up. It did not catch fire but anyways yeah. What made that happen who knows but it happend.

Reactions: jesuslizard36

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well I am not against mech mods what I am against is new vapers thinking they can just jump right into a mech mod without proper research. Lithium Ion batteries still have a danger to them. Yes for your more confusions point of view yes the flash point between a lithium Ion to say my 2 cell Lipo is different. I never wanted to get into this but here goes. I was working with a guy and He was charging his LG Phone in his truck. Weather was around 45 below grabbed his phone unplugged it and jumped out with it into the cold as He was texting away He was out in the cold for about 2 minutes and the back casing and his battery blew up. It did not catch fire but anyways yeah. What made that happen who knows but it happend.

I'm confused by your mech mod reference as we were never discussing that. But, I agree, someone considering buying a mech should do a bit of research first or be taught the basics buy the oerson selling the mech.

As I mentioned earlier, I also agree that Li-Ion batteries can be dangerous if abused and can, very rarely, have an internal fault that causes them to short-circuit internally at some point...very bad.

I'm also confused by your statement mentioning the "flash point" of Li-Ion versus LiPo. LiPo is Li-Ion.

I'm sorry your friend had his phone battery blow up. Charging our devices in a car is always a big problem as the chargers are usually inexpensive, very low quality units. And the 12V going into the charger is incredibly "dirty" electrically and can easily cause the charger to put out the wrong voltage. And the LiPo's in our phones really hate that. :) Perhaps the cold played a role but I don't think the battery cooled down much inside that phone case in a couple of minutes. Especially since it was being used at the time. Charging is when most Li-Ion problems occur though.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    The fish bone is on my list actually. The..V3 from memory i think. Because it's got the larger post holes. I was just going to buy it for novelty at first but based on what iv read it actually appears to be pretty good. Pretty much a Kennedy in some regards. Iv got good LGs and Sonys to. And yes i can imagine the frustration of trying to set it up. The local vape shop here is pretty poorly stocked and overpriced but the people real helpful and although some of them know next to nothing about vaping some are really knowledgeable so i will probably take it in there and get some help from them over a coffee.

I am a fan of clouds and i think expanding my coil building skills, which are pretty poor at the moment is the way to go. Iv mostly just worked with 24 gauge and claptons. Got all the other gauges there so i should work with them more. get some nice builds going.
    Sounds like you're on track. Have fun, and come back for advice if you get stuck. The Fishbone is fun, but don't overdrip. She leaks like a ..... if you get her too full.

jesuslizard36

Aug 26, 2015
    try not to get .... hurt, I'm sure they mean well. Nothing wrong with being ignorant, as long as you accept it. We all were at one point. Safety issues aside,I still prefer VW to mech mods. But yeah... Make sure you have, and use an ohm meter. Always do calculations at full voltage, since that will be your highest power/current draw. Follow Susans advice, and give yourself a good safety margin. If, when using it, you feel it getting warm, unscrew the cap to break the circuit( safety first) and left it rest for a while. Though that is true with any mod, mech just doesn't have any protective circuitry so you gotta be extra cautious. Seriously, answer these two questions yourself before you use it...
    1. How much power (amps, and watts) can MY battery handle?
    2. How much power is THIS build going to use(amps and watts)?
    btw,I always used the Samsung 25r.
    bubsmash, your comment lipo is a lipo is entirely irrelevant. Like mooch said, we are not talking about lipo batteries. Those are only used in the disruptor, and mods with built in batteries, no one is using them in a mod. We use lithium ion batteries, of which lipo is a subclass. Not the other way around. Lipo is li-ion but li-ion is not a lipo

yea i was been a bit antsy at the time haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread