Sinus Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daifne

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Wisconsin
Since I have had for years and continue to have problems with my sinuses, I really can't comment on what is causing your issue. I have allergies, most notably to dust mites. On a scale from 1-10, where 1 is no sinus problems and 10 is severe problems, prior to vaping, I was at about an 8. With vaping, and not totally quitting analogs yet (have drastically cut down though), I'm at about a 5. So, it seems that reducing the analogs and vaping has improved my sinus condition.

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I've had sinus pressure problems for many years and I haven't noticed any difference since I quit smoking and started vaping (I vape PG). The easy test for you would be to get some VG liquid and if that doesn't cause you any sinus pressure, you'll know your sinuses were irritated by the PG. I think it's more likely, though, that your sinuses just don't like whatever vapor wafts upwards as you inhale and whether it's PG or VG won't make a difference. Either that or it's coincidence and your sinuses are just reacting to weather changes or something.

Super Googan

Feb 25, 2010
East Coast
I've also noticed sinus pressure/congestion. Only vaping for a couple weeks now. I've tried a couple different brands and nic level juices both PG and VG. Not sure yet but think the VG is causing sinus pressure. Going to try a couple days with just PG and just VG to try and figure it out.
Also noticed mild tightness/pressure in my chest toward the end of the day.

Note: the sinus pressure is almost instant after a hit or two.

MSmusicstudios

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Mlps, MN
I use a neti pot to rinse my sinuses and it also helps to renew the flavor of my vapes. I think the main culprit with vaping and sinus issues is simply the drying out of tissues. Makes it harder for the sinuses to do their job and creates problems that way.

I second this!!! Neti pots are the best!

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
No idea - my switch is having a slightly positive effect there so far - but I'll add to the neti pot boosting and put in a word for cromolyn sodium (aka "Nasalcrom" OTC, but the generic is as good and far cheaper) as well. If you go for the neti pot, note that it's the saline that keeps it from burning - use kosher salt when you run out of the silly packets (iodized may cause problems, generic non-iodized often still has a metal-based anti-caking substance in it) and keep it spotlessly clean at all times.

Have you considered the possibility that a flavoring is doing you wrong? Or nicotine itself - overdoing it can give me a 'sinus' headache, but my usual reaction is to [unsuccessfully] distract myself by reaching for more.

Oh, and almost forgot - for quick relief I find that a few drops of sage essential oil in an aromatherapy diffuser - I use one of those electric Wal-Mart potpourri pots filled with water; boil some sage on the stove and breathe in if you don't have that - is far more soothing and less 'toxic'-feeling than the common eucalyptus/vaporub concoctions. You might prefer clary sage oil (I find it too 'sticky,' borne out by the goo it leaves on the rim of the bottle) or garden salvia (first noticed the effect with what was a legal relative...). Just breathe the steam, and follow all the usual precautions if handling essential oils. [Now if only they could isolate what makes that so effective and put it in a spray!]

Last edited:

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I find I get more 'issues' with VG per se than PG, (Ive found VG leaves a 'coating' in my mouth, figured its doing the same thing to my sinuses) and yes I just got a neti pot too lol
Ive done a sinus rinse before (sans pot tho lol) and it took a couple of days to show any effect; also gave me a headache first time.
Breathing steam is excellent - no need for essential oils unless you want to - the steam is the stuff that helps clear everything; very good for chest congestion. My doctor put me onto it years ago when my chest felt like it was full of cement after a nasty cold - he said 'Don't bother with all the fancy over the counter meds they sell, just boil a pot of water, stick a towel over your head and breathe the steam'
Good bloke my old doc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread