Siren v2 fans-- coil setups for Power control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
So far I have only 2 different wires (ss316L and kanthal) both are 26 gauge. I Like 2.5 id @ 6 wraps slightly spaced on kanthal and 2.5 id @11 wraps(not spaced) on ss316L. Both of those set ups give me similar resistance I use on my Nautilus2 bvc 0.7ohm stock coils.

I do not see much difference between those two setups but kanthal coil is a little easier to wick properly... proper wicking IMHO makes much more difference in quality of vaping than slightly different resistance, id or gauges... I think perfect wicking is hardest thing to master in RTA systems... making coils is very easy with any coil jig...

Since I bought so much wicking material that I will not be able use in my lifetime... I wick almost everyday at least one of my tanks... I have cotton bacon, big box of shiseido Japanese cotton and enormous box of rayon cellucotton... so far I like rayon the best... because it is most forgiving and give cleanest flavor.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Thanks, Janusz.
One of the devices I use has a 1.2 ohm resistance limit, so I have been building to a 1.3 ohm lower limit. That will change in future, so I thought I would ask.
No one seems to want to talk about their setups. I realize it's a personal preference, but everyone needs some starting points, and discussion of pros and cons of different setups, to become experienced.
I have 28 ga. in there now, at 3mm, to get resistance up. Need a coil long enough to span all the airflow holes, and small wire does make it hard to wick,with small coil dia., as it wants to move if you get enough in there.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
26 gauge Kanthal contact coil, 8 wraps. 2.5mm ID.

What you may like to do is to mess around with coil placement in relation to the air holes.

Because much of what increases or decreases the flavor in a build is how the air is hitting the coil..

Even a 1mm difference in placement can make a huge impact in flavor - so try moving your coil a little closer to the air holes, and then try a little farther away.

Spaced coils can also help some with flavor, but placement matters far more..

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I agree...kanthal 2.5-3.0 id with 6-8 wraps is probably the best on Siren 2 but ss wire is different story...

I prefer spaced coils (mostly because they are easier to prime and I do not have to worry about hot spots) but when I use ss316L wire they are too long as spaced to fit space on my siren... and legs of coil are inward bended.. solution would be to use bigger id and/or heavier gauge... I wonder if anybody is building coils for Siren with ss 316 wire thicker than 26 gauge...

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I agree...kanthal 2.5-3.0 id with 6-8 wraps is probably the best on Siren 2 but ss wire is different story...

I prefer spaced coils (mostly because they are easier to prime and I do not have to worry about hot spots) but when I use ss316L wire they are too long as spaced to fit space on my siren... and legs of coil are inward bended.. solution would be to use bigger id and/or heavier gauge... I wonder if anybody is building coils for Siren with ss 316 wire thicker than 26 gauge...

Likely not because 24 gauge and larger is more for higher wattage (it takes more power to heat them up) and the siren isn't made for that style of vaping (higher watts)

I would expect everyone to be using 26 or 28 gauge with a 30 thrown in for good measure.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Likely not because 24 gauge and larger is more for higher wattage (it takes more power to heat them up) and the siren isn't made for that style of vaping (higher watts)

I would expect everyone to be using 26 or 28 gauge with a 30 thrown in for good measure.

I think with kanthal wire it does not make sense to use 25 or 24 gauge wire on Siren but ss wire with TC control mod can be different story... the only negative would be slightly bigger ramp up time on first puff... I am sure I will try it when I will get heavier wire... I love experimenting:D

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I think with kanthal wire it does not make sense to use 25 or 24 gauge wire on Siren but ss wire with TC control mod can be different story... the only negative would be slightly bigger ramp up time on first puff... I am sure I will try it when I will get heavier wire... I love experimenting:D

I've actually never used temperature control so I'm not so familiar with SS wire other than I've heard you build with it the same as you do with Kanthal.

I got this innokin proton so i went and bought some stainless steel for use in TC mode but I figured I'd just do what people say and build the same.. so I got 26 gauge.. lol.

I haven't made a coil yet out of it though. . I'm slow.. lol.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I've actually never used temperature control so I'm not so familiar with SS wire other than I've heard you build with it the same as you do with Kanthal.

I got this innokin proton so i went and bought some stainless steel for use in TC mode but I figured I'd just do what people say and build the same.. so I got 26 gauge.. lol.

I haven't made a coil yet out of it though. . I'm slow.. lol.

I made quite a few ss coils and they did not work very well with tc on my Zelos (pulsing feel) but on Aegis ss TC control they work pretty good... my problem is that I rotate my tanks quite often and quite often I forget what coil is inside the tank... now I put ss drip tip on tank that has ss coil and black delrin drip tip on tank with kanthal coil... this is not fool proof method... when I will run out from 100 feet of kanthal I will use probably only ss wire...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread