Sleeves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annastasia

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
www.annstorer.com
This was mentioned in our NW Steampunks forum briefly the other day, and I'm looking for some advice on how to do this properly...

Basically we want to make decorated battery sleeves that we can slide off and on at will, so we don't lose our artwork. I'm thinking some kind of thin metal tube? Would this require welding or soldering of some kind? I was also thinking about something along the lines of wrapped wire and/or tiny gears attached, just for fun.

Problems I'm thinking of are making it too tight or too loose -- don't want it to slide off, but don't want it perma-attached either. Maybe some sort of clasp?

Just looking for help and brainstorming. :) I bow to you experienced modders' wisdom. Thanks!

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
Hey Annastasia:

I've been thinking the same thing. I was thinking of aluminum, such as a can cut up to make a sleeve. Of course the seam and ends would have to be rolled or folded, and them (maybe) crimped to address the sharpness of the cut aluminum edges. Then painting it copper or bronse color. I was thinking that just a few very small dots of silicone at the end would help it grip to stay on. And then a slender copper wire wound around the vaporizer that had some watch gears and maybe a typewriter key. Maybe a tiny locket or tiny brooch with a tiny old time mourning photo,... Just some thoughts.

I had mentioned awhile back that I would like to see a vaporizer painted copper or bronze to purchase. Then we could just wrap the wire around with our little steampunk things attached.

HP has some new computers that have that old kind of bronze color now. (I need one). HP is now a bit steampunk.

Well maybe...some masking tape and a can of bronze, copper or rust colored spray paint and I guess we could do it ourselves. If we can find the time.

Let us know what you come up with. A picture would be nice. If I find the time, I just may try myself and then post a picture.

Best wishes to you.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Hit a renaissance faire. Willing to bet at any ren faire across the country you'll find an artisan working with that scrolly metal wire who could hook you up with a piece wrapped all scrolly and snazzy round your pv with some beads and gems in there. If you take a few little cog type charms, I'm sure they'll wire them in as well. I've gotten really cool gold and silver wire rings and anklets with some really elaborate scroll work super cheap, like $5-20 depending on metal. And then you can just slide em off when you want to put em on another component. ;)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Also found these, if you're wanting to go quick and easy with water decals for steampunk effect. Can't remove em, but they come multiple to a page, so you've got enough to do up a bunch of components.

Amazon.com: Bajidoo Steam Punked Decal Full Sheet: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
this kit comes with the sealer and paint pens and everything, plus the decals above (plus a wooden bangle! guess you wouldn't be needing that!) http://www.amazon.com/Bajidoo-Steam...0GOM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320275089&sr=8-2

Personally, if i was wanting steampunk graphics, I'd buy some water decal paper from Papilio (they have clear and white vinyl decal paper as well if you want to make actual skins that cover the whole component, both avail at amazon), and get a good steampunk digital scrapbooking kit (they're downloadable with PNG graphics) and decorate my own (in Photoshop or PSE or Gimp... any graphics program that works with png graphics and layers) with printer, then use sealer on the whole shebang. Cheaper, and you can make as many as you want. I can recommend some REALLY good steampunk kits for dig download if anyone is hunting. Just pm me. ;) Two sites that have multiple great steampunk graphics kits are Welcome to Deviant Scrap! and Scrapbookgraphics – Digital Scrapbooking , then just search 'steampunk'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread