The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Sleeves?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Annastasia, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Annastasia

Annastasia Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    This was mentioned in our NW Steampunks forum briefly the other day, and I'm looking for some advice on how to do this properly...

Basically we want to make decorated battery sleeves that we can slide off and on at will, so we don't lose our artwork. I'm thinking some kind of thin metal tube? Would this require welding or soldering of some kind? I was also thinking about something along the lines of wrapped wire and/or tiny gears attached, just for fun.

Problems I'm thinking of are making it too tight or too loose -- don't want it to slide off, but don't want it perma-attached either. Maybe some sort of clasp?

Just looking for help and brainstorming. :) I bow to you experienced modders' wisdom. Thanks!

2. geeker

geeker Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2009
    Neither here nor there
    I would suggest a rubber or silicone washer/gasket that is secured to the interior of the sleeve and holds the batt with enough friction to stay on but can be pulled off.

3. dedmonwakin

dedmonwakin Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2009
    Destin,FL.
  4. AGNES PEACOCK

AGNES PEACOCK Super Member ECF Veteran

Hey Annastasia:

I've been thinking the same thing. I was thinking of aluminum, such as a can cut up to make a sleeve. Of course the seam and ends would have to be rolled or folded, and them (maybe) crimped to address the sharpness of the cut aluminum edges. Then painting it copper or bronse color. I was thinking that just a few very small dots of silicone at the end would help it grip to stay on. And then a slender copper wire wound around the vaporizer that had some watch gears and maybe a typewriter key. Maybe a tiny locket or tiny brooch with a tiny old time mourning photo,... Just some thoughts.

I had mentioned awhile back that I would like to see a vaporizer painted copper or bronze to purchase. Then we could just wrap the wire around with our little steampunk things attached.

HP has some new computers that have that old kind of bronze color now. (I need one). HP is now a bit steampunk.

Well maybe...some masking tape and a can of bronze, copper or rust colored spray paint and I guess we could do it ourselves. If we can find the time.

Let us know what you come up with. A picture would be nice. If I find the time, I just may try myself and then post a picture.

Best wishes to you.

5. REDDOG1

REDDOG1 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2010
    louisville, ky.
    hmmm i remember those old medical pen lights that you skeazed the little pen clip to turn on ??
    they had a clear plastic sleeve that slid up between the clip and medal contact....
    a litttle big but good concept if you can find a smaller plastic sleeve

6. REDDOG1

REDDOG1 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2010
    louisville, ky.
    shrink tubing, fits snug but yet if you have a smooth finish on your batt, will still slide...???

7. GeekyGirl36

GeekyGirl36 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2011
    USA
    I LOVE the steampunk idea! I remember using foil for when I was doing rubber stamping, that might work with some kind of coat (polyurethane?) so that it doesn't ware off. Just my :2c: though. :)

8. orachel

orachel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2010
    Mesa, Arizona...USA
    Hit a renaissance faire. Willing to bet at any ren faire across the country you'll find an artisan working with that scrolly metal wire who could hook you up with a piece wrapped all scrolly and snazzy round your pv with some beads and gems in there. If you take a few little cog type charms, I'm sure they'll wire them in as well. I've gotten really cool gold and silver wire rings and anklets with some really elaborate scroll work super cheap, like $5-20 depending on metal. And then you can just slide em off when you want to put em on another component. ;)

9. orachel

orachel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2010
    Mesa, Arizona...USA
    Also found these, if you're wanting to go quick and easy with water decals for steampunk effect. Can't remove em, but they come multiple to a page, so you've got enough to do up a bunch of components.

Amazon.com: Bajidoo Steam Punked Decal Full Sheet: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
    this kit comes with the sealer and paint pens and everything, plus the decals above (plus a wooden bangle! guess you wouldn't be needing that!) http://www.amazon.com/Bajidoo-Steam-Punked-Diy-Bangle/dp/B0058U0GOM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320275089&sr=8-2

Personally, if i was wanting steampunk graphics, I'd buy some water decal paper from Papilio (they have clear and white vinyl decal paper as well if you want to make actual skins that cover the whole component, both avail at amazon), and get a good steampunk digital scrapbooking kit (they're downloadable with PNG graphics) and decorate my own (in Photoshop or PSE or Gimp... any graphics program that works with png graphics and layers) with printer, then use sealer on the whole shebang. Cheaper, and you can make as many as you want. I can recommend some REALLY good steampunk kits for dig download if anyone is hunting. Just pm me. ;) Two sites that have multiple great steampunk graphics kits are Welcome to Deviant Scrap! and Scrapbookgraphics – Digital Scrapbooking , then just search 'steampunk'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.